Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
So I went to Smash Burgers. I liked it and I would go again. Though I have to admit that I think Gourmet Burger Kitchen remains my favourite. Their rewards app that keeps giving me free milkshakes, sides and burgers gives them an edge over the competition. Plus their restaurant is more comfortable to eat in.

I do like Smash Burgers Coca-Cola drinks fountain though, with all its different drinks and syrup combos. They have grape Fanta! I love that! :D

Man of Honour
I've not had Five Guys yet but earlier in this thread, others have said it's better than Honest Burger. That costs 11 quid (with really nice fries included) in London and it's bloody epic compared to McDs and I think it's worth every penny. Clearly something is amiss with people's ratings or the standard between branches of Five Guys must vary wildly?? :confused:

I don't rate Five Guys at all tbh. It's nice enough but massively overpriced. Honest Burger is far superior. I'd still choose Five Guys over McDonalds though :p

Associate
I honestly thought Smash Burger was pretty average. It was tasty for sure, but I'd rate Five Guys and Byron significantly better

Soldato
I don't rate Five Guys at all tbh. It's nice enough but massively overpriced. Honest Burger is far superior. I'd still choose Five Guys over McDonalds though :p

Well a Five Guys has opened near me recently so I will try it at some point. Then I can see for myself just how far out some of the opinions are on here.

---

I'm probably going to London again in the next week... so I'm looking for more recommendations. I've already done...

Honest Burger (love it but been to 4 different branches already :D)
Patty & Bun (very good but the small burger got a bit lost in all the gooey toppings)
Bleecker (ok-ish but pretty small, very greasy and too pink for my tastes)
Shake Shack (just awful, it was like own brand supermarket stuff straight from the freezer)

Is there anywhere else I need to go?

edit: being a tourist, anywhere central accessible by tube will do.

Last edited:
Soldato
I went to GBK last Friday. Burger was called GBK special or something else with GBK in the name, was a burger with bacon.. and had sweet potato fries to go with it. Fries were nothing special and the burger was ok, just ok. Certainly not worth the £14 I spent. I would have been just as fulfilled if I went to McDonalds around the corner. I was given this little tub of sauce I had no idea what it was but goddamn it delicious, I since found out(2 mins ago) that it was bacconaise.

I had my pick that night. McDonalds, Frankie and Bennys, Taco Bell, GBK and a Nando's in the same complex, Chichester Gate.

Man of Honour
Well a Five Guys has opened near me recently so I will try it at some point. Then I can see for myself just how far out some of the opinions are on here.

---

I'm probably going to London again in the next week... so I'm looking for more recommendations. I've already done...

Honest Burger (love it but been to 4 different branches already :D)
Patty & Bun (very good but the small burger got a bit lost in all the gooey toppings)
Bleecker (ok-ish but pretty small, very greasy and too pink for my tastes)
Shake Shack (just awful, it was like own brand supermarket stuff straight from the freezer)

Is there anywhere else I need to go?

edit: being a tourist, anywhere central accessible by tube will do.

I'm out but P&B :)

Associate
I was relatively late to try Honest Burgers and have been twice now in the past year or so. The first time was at the Kings Cross location and the burger was just incredibly salty. As I know how many people love their burgers I thought I would give it another try. The second time I went to the Warren Street location and it was the same experience. Thing is, I like my salt and am regularly told I use to too much, so having this problem was a surprise for me! I should also mention that I went with different people and they both agreed that the burgers were too salty. Has anyone else had this experience? Am I missing something? Do I need to reluctantly try again and hope I am lucky on the third time!?

Soldato
I did have an overly salty bit of bacon at Honest/Soho but the burger itself was fine - and identical to the 3 other branches I've been to (Oxford Circus, Bank, Covent Garden). And I'm no salt fan like yourself. I know there is plenty in the processed crap I eat so I rarely if ever put any extra on.

Don
Gordon Ramsay BurGR, blue cheese overpowered it all tbh and the truffle parmesan fries were ridiculously salty

22687743_10155033641886847_2662435522369505136_n.jpg

Associate
Trying to decide between original patty men and meat shack in Birmingham for this week's burger travel. If they are anywhere near as good as beefy boys happy days. Any of you guys recommend either?

Soldato
I went to GBK last Friday. Burger was called GBK special or something else with GBK in the name, was a burger with bacon.. and had sweet potato fries to go with it. Fries were nothing special and the burger was ok, just ok. Certainly not worth the £14 I spent. I would have been just as fulfilled if I went to McDonalds around the corner. I was given this little tub of sauce I had no idea what it was but goddamn it delicious, I since found out(2 mins ago) that it was bacconaise.

I had my pick that night. McDonalds, Frankie and Bennys, Taco Bell, GBK and a Nando's in the same complex, Chichester Gate.

Didn't realise taco bell had come to the UK, anyone tried it?

Back
Top Bottom