A classic appears on GOG.com, Mafia 1!

Soldato
I think I’m going to leave this in my memory. I last played it several years ago and the draw distance/pop in was ghastly.

There are mods for draw distance.
The game looks absolutely stunning for its age and scope.

lost_heaven_1932_v1_3_02.jpg

restoration_mod_bg1.jpg

Soldato
This is my favourite game of all time. I have 150 hours on it on steam, and maybe half again on disk. It must have been mind blowing to play it in the early 2000s! I urge you dear reader to pick it up, for the story, atmosphere, setting and realistic driving (the driving is love/hate though).

The racing mission can be made much easier through the latest patch (1.2 I think, and when I say recent I mean 2003 or so rather than this year or whatever), and if you use an xbox360 Controller for driving it is even easier, with analogue steering and accelation/brake.

The PC version is much much better than the PS2 port, if you played that you owe it to yourself to play the real version ;)

Finally I will say it is a hard game, with quite... unfair combat and an autosave system that doesn't save often enough.

Just play it ;)

Edit - I didn't realise so many people liked it as much as me considering how overlooked it is in favour of things like Deus Ex and Hl2 for "best gam evarrr" awards. This is nice to know!

Soldato
This is my favourite game of all time. I have 150 hours on it on steam, and maybe half again on disk. It must have been mind blowing to play it in the early 2000s! I urge you dear reader to pick it up, for the story, atmosphere, setting and realistic driving (the driving is love/hate though).

Edit - I didn't realise so many people liked it as much as me considering how overlooked it is in favour of things like Deus Ex and Hl2 for "best gam evarrr" awards. This is nice to know!

I remember reading developer diaries about Mafia by Dan Vávra in gaming magazine Score, every month for like three years straight he shared what is going on, what troubles they had etc.
Then the game came out, finally, and our (my and my friends's) minds were blown - here was a game with graphics better than Max Payne, set in an open huge city with huge countryside, with incredible car physics, brilliant mission design and one of the best stories in gaming....and it is made by a small team of twenty something guys located in our country.

Now they are making Kingdom Come Deliverance, which takes things even further and I can't wait :D

Associate
Contrary to what my name would suggest this was my favourite open world game at the time. I spent so much more time playing this than GTA 3 and Vice City, it felt so much more immersive to me with the actual pick-locking of cars, refuelling, general atmosphere, etc. I don't think I had too much of an issue with the race mission as I soon learnt to take it quite slow around corners. There is also a 'shortcut' you can take, but looking back at how it's done it may be easier to just do the race as intended.

I actually bought the disc version twice after one of my original discs got a small scratch that prevented the installer from completing

Thanks to the screenshots posted above I might have to spend quite a bit of time on my week off playing this game again :p

Soldato
I confess I took tons of time exploring every nook and cranny of the game. Iirc I spent more time in Mafia 1 than I did in San Andreas. I loved the city of Little Italy and how alive it felt. Got the cops chasing you? Sod it, take the train!
I hated the health system though so I'd constantly run off to that garage that had health packs in!

Associate
I still think Mafia II had it all, easily best in the series imo, some serious time was put into that game, not only did it look great (and still does), but it also had a great story line.

Associate
I enjoyed Mafia II as well, but it never really had the country-side part of the map which I always remember being a big deal for me on the original! I always remember seeing strange comments from some people saying there wasn't free-roam in Mafia II, but it was simply a case of not following the directions on the map straight to the next mission and you could do what you wanted and you were never punished for it. I still enjoyed the cars, music and most definitely the snow on Mafia II as well.

This all reminds me that I've barely touched Mafia III yet, so I could be playing that.

Soldato
Mafia III slaughters the lot in terms of world openess and things to do outside of missions. The world the developers made is both beautifully created, and the ingame music is absolutely superb featuring notable tracks from The Animals. Whilst the game itself is enjoyable, it is only to an extent as it is ruined by a lot of repetitive missions. The plot is sound but has sod all to do with the previous games barring a couple of characters from the previous games. I've replayed the game twice and appreciated things a lot more the second time round.

The engine is a disaster performance wise though. It is the only game to make my R9 290 hit 85c temps wise.

Soldato
Mafia 2 is a beautiful game. It is Goodfellas to Mafia 1's Godfather.
But because there were issues with development and the lead director left year before it was finished, it never fulfilled its potential.
Originally it was supposed to be longer and have some choices during story, leading to 4 different endings. Instead all this was cut and an ending was made that even the lead director had no idea about (and didn't like).
But still, beautiful game overall. Just not as impressive as the first one.

Mafia 3 is...

Well, I enjoyed it. It is hugely flawed and has really metric s**tton of problems, but its atmosphere + fun stealth/gunplay + enjoyable driving and decently written story made me enjoy it despite the issues.

Associate
Mafia was a masterpiece, even reading these I get the urge to go back and replay it :D

Mafia 2 was a disappointment, it's a decent game but not a patch on the first.

Back
Top Bottom