If you had the opportunity to attend an autopsy, would you?

Soldato
I'd like to get to one but despite being in the medical field I've struggled to manage it.
It used to be the norm during training, but not these days.

Soldato
OP
I'd like to get to one but despite being in the medical field I've struggled to manage it.
It used to be the norm during training, but not these days.

Yeah, apparently it wasn't easy to arrange. We're the first bunch of students to go in several years.

Soldato
I would go out of curiosity. I remember watching the Channel 4 autopsy program years ago with Dr Gunther Von Hagens and being really interested as he carefully hacked apart several donated bodies...it was graphic but bloody good. You can find clips on youtube

Soldato
I think the smell would never leave you.

If there's a chance you'll encounter a dead person in your job, I'd do it to get over your first as it were. If it's literally morbid curiosity then see a different doctor!

Soldato
I was working inside a secure area in a hospital a few years ago. Passed a window on the fire escape and saw a bloke with his hands deep inside a body. Closest I’ll want to get.

Soldato
Strangest question of the week? I've been given the chance to attend an autopsy. I feel as though it's a once in a life time opportunity, with significant educational merit, but I can't shake off the feeling that I might freak out and make a complete fool of myself once it all "kicks off". What would you do?

No issues, yes, if it was in my interest at the time it was offered.
I've dissected a body entirely in the past, good learning experience.
Don't do much dissection of pieces of face nowadays, best left to those doing them all day every day.

Associate
Yep, I'd go. It's just another (in the words of Bender) meat bag. You're surrounded by them most of your life, why not find out what the inner workings are like.
If you're a medical student, you're most likely going to see all sorts of blood, guts, fluid & body parts in that career, so why not dive right in & get it over with.

Soldato
Was there much screaming when the cutting began? They're usually dead at autopsies aren't they?
Ha ha :p. I'm pretty sure it was televised live is what I meant lol. I can't actually remember much as I turned it off as it was nasty as hell and put me off my food for a few days after it.

Soldato
DO IT!!!! but expect it to smell rough once the abdomen is opened as the intestines/bowel/stomach etc smell, to put if frankly, rank!

The cutting, cranial saw noise etc didn't bother me that much i.e. what I saw/heard wasn't "bad", just the smell.

Soldato
OP
I'll never know what my reaction to the situation will be unless I go. For the sake of education and pushing my own comfort levels, I'm going to go. It's not on for another few weeks. I'll update afterward.

Soldato
I'm an Anatomical Pathology Technologist for the NHS so it's my job to do them. Well, I eviscerate and reconstruct and assist the pathologist. Essentially I'm the one that opens, removes and puts back, also take body fluid samples, I retrieve brain and spinal cord donations, eye retrievals etc.

I think it's fascinating and qualify next year (been in post 2 years). I would say Von Hagens shows are interesting but not that accurate to the sights of a real post mortem as the deceased have been plastinated.

Any questions I'm happy to help :)

Back
Top Bottom