Photography domain name suggestions?

Associate
Just as I was going to set up a domain name for my photography site, I have found that I have a doppleganger, name wise, who is also into photography!

I already have a small blogspot site here:

http://www.brianinnesphotography.blogspot.com (needing work done on it), as well as a wordpress.com site here, http://www.brianinnesphotography.wordpresscom

It seems there is an Edinburgh based chap, of my same name (small world, I wonder if any relation?), who's site is here:

http://www.brianinnesphotography.co.uk

Given the fact that I'm across the water in Fife, there could easily end up in confusion!

So I've contacted the photographer to make him aware, in anycase I'm more than happy to change my photography "id" as he is an established photographer.

But I'm a bit lost as to what sort of name I could come up with? My interests mainly lie in landscapes / panoramics & nature photography, mainly at a hobbyist level.
Has anyone had a similar conflict of names?

Associate
OP
There's another photographer with my name but he has his name as his site whereas I've added photography to the end of mine.

Suggest www.biphotographer.co.uk or www.biphotography.co.uk but some people may question your sexuality :p

EDIT

Since you're from Fife, maybe www.fbiphotography.co.uk instead?

I had thought about btiphotography.co.uk (seeing as Thomas :rolleyes: is my middle name).

I imagine that fbiphotography would end up me getting a knock on the door from The Feds! :D

hmm. Not easy to choose a photography website name!

Associate
Go with your main name.... its the one people will remember the most.

Get rid of the Photography part ! to much for people to type.

Just use www.brianinnes.co.uk or C

You will also get better searches in Google by doing this when people search for you .

I use my main name across all my sites , so if anyone searches me they can see all my social media accounts and they all link in too one.

A few good tips I can give is this, everytime you post a photo on social media put in your main website and use # to highlight your photo, another good thing too do that a lot of people don't ise change the photo name , Name all your photos in lightroom or Photoshop with your main Name. again Google will pickup on this and when people searches images yours will come up.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As mentioned in my opening post, there is already an established photographer with the same name as me (Brian Innes, and he is an associate of the Royal Photographic Society), his site is at http://www.brianinnesphotography.co.uk.
He is based in Edinburgh, and I am based in Fife. Because of this, I'm wanting to avoid using a very similarly name website for my own.

So going for the likes of www.brianinnes.co.uk or brianinnes.com probably wouldn't be a sensible move!

Associate
OP

To me that gives an impression of a photographer focussing in on stereotypical Biscuit Tin Highland Scenery of Castles, and tartan troosers. :-/ ideal for selling photographic calendars, but not appealing to me, sorry!

This has popped into my head though,

www.btifotowerks.co.uk which sums up my preferred style of technical photography including hdr tonemapped panoramas. Too gimmicky a name perhaps?

Soldato
To me that gives an impression of a photographer focussing in on stereotypical Biscuit Tin Highland Scenery of Castles, and tartan troosers. :-/ ideal for selling photographic calendars, but not appealing to me, sorry!

This has popped into my head though,

www.btifotowerks.co.uk which sums up my preferred style of technical photography including hdr tonemapped panoramas. Too gimmicky a name perhaps?

It wasn't actually a serious suggestion:o

But the point being is that if photography is a hobby and you're not using the photography website on a professional basis, then why not pick something different to the usual first name/surname photography url

Associate
OP
how about photographybybrianinnes.co...

Sadly, too similar in name to the Professional Photographer who goes by the name Brian Innes.

It wasn't actually a serious suggestion:o

But the point being is that if photography is a hobby and you're not using the photography website on a professional basis, then why not pick something different to the usual first name/surname photography url

At the moment I think I've settled on BTIFotowerks.co.uk It certainly is somewhat unusual...

Back
Top Bottom