If you had the opportunity to attend an autopsy, would you?

Soldato
Police and fire fighters used to go too.
To be honest, I've found that both police and fire service are far more likely to be on scene first to jobs where having seen an autopsy could be some preparation. I see death regularly but normally go to those either still alive or recently deceased unlike the other services. It happens for me, but not as much as people probably expect.

Soldato
OP
I'm an Anatomical Pathology Technologist for the NHS so it's my job to do them. Well, I eviscerate and reconstruct and assist the pathologist. Essentially I'm the one that opens, removes and puts back, also take body fluid samples, I retrieve brain and spinal cord donations, eye retrievals etc.

I think it's fascinating and qualify next year (been in post 2 years). I would say Von Hagens shows are interesting but not that accurate to the sights of a real post mortem as the deceased have been plastinated.

Any questions I'm happy to help :)

Appreciated:)

Soldato
Yes, I would.

A few years ago, Channel 4 showed a series of dissections hosted by Gunther von Hagens, the Bodyworlds guy. It was some of the best TV I've ever seen. The wife and I also went to see the Bodyworlds exhibit when it came to the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester and it was absolutely fascinating.

I think I saw that. Didn't he have a fat cadaver he cut horizontal head to toe to show fat tissue.

Associate
I have attended a couple and they are fascinating. What struck me was when they opened the chest cavity it was exactly like a text book.My knees went a little wobbly when the brain was examined though. Overall, well worth the experience!

Soldato
Well, the body often still has gases in it, so it could potentially fart I suppose, but not really with being moved about. I've certainly not had it happen impromptu. Burping and farting seems unlikely, but I suppose it's possible. People have a lot of ideas of what the dead do from rumour and tv/film. In reality they don't do a lot!

It's more common for gas to pass through the mouth when you move a deceased so sometimes you hear a groan as it passes through the vocal folds. That can be a bit eerie the first time you hear it!

Man of Honour
I would go out of curiosity. I remember watching the Channel 4 autopsy program years ago with Dr Gunther Von Hagens and being really interested as he carefully hacked apart several donated bodies...it was graphic but bloody good. You can find clips on youtube

I went to the Mensche Museum in Berlin yesterday.

Anyway, I have been to an autopsy when I applied for the job as an assistant just to see how I would handle it - I was OK but I didn't get the job.
I deal with inquests and autopsy reports every day so I thought it would be a good step up.

I've also been in the cadaver room at Keele University a couple times with students.

Back
Top Bottom