The constant want for better cameras?

Soldato
I find this apparent consumer demand confusing in phones. I'm a professional photographer and the camera on my phone may as well not exist it gets used so little.

I honestly know of no-one that views the photos taken on their phones on any other display, so essentially nearly all of the photos taken on phones are consumed on phone displays predominantly via the various social platforms that people choose to share their kids or lunch on with whatever the filter of the day is.

On these handsets, detail, DR, noise, sharpness are pretty much a mute point, editing latitude not relevant and manual controls widely unused.

I totally get if the images are being consumed via another format such as printing, large displays, editing suites etc.

But why is the best, most advanced image quality an absolute must for you if the images don't go anywhere other than your handset and Facebook.

Given that these social sites compress the life out of videos and photos anyway what benefit do the absolute latest and greatest cameras actually have for the consumer other than a headline spec and so extra ££ on the price tag?

Genuinely interested.

Soldato
Do you think the vast majority of DSLR photos go anywhere beyond Facebook either?

The best camera is the one you have on you, and unless you're a pro you won't be toting your DLSR everywhere you go either - going to a party, will you bring your camera? Going out for dinner, will you bring your camera? Having a good phone camera is massive because it means you don't have to have a decent separate camera on those occasions you don't want to be on a photography trip.

Associate
For me it is used for more than just viewing on your phone - I don't go everywhere with my DSLR and still want good snaps as memories, be it days out locally or holidays abroad when you don't necessarily have the DSLR available. Eg. went to Indonesia recently, trekking through the jungle in mega heat and humidity, and while I had my DSLR with me it was too exhausting to have it swinging round my neck for a 10 hour trek. Therefore took all my photos on my phone for the day, of some pretty nice wildlife milling around. Most the photos weren't usable, although thankfully some were. It's very useful to have for those quick photos where the moment is gone if you don't get it immediately, and I want to get good quality photos when doing so. I don't expect DSLR quality but do want something better than a blurred smudge. Also go to gigs quite a bit where you can't get DSLRs in. Also some settings like panoramics you can only do on phones, at least as far as I am aware!

Soldato
ok, OP.....think of it like this

say the iPhone 11 came with a 20mp camera with a dxomark of 110, then a year later the iPhone 12 came out with the exact same camera, dxomark also gave it a 110 but apple claimed it was better. What do you think consumers are going to do?

Yep, buy the iPhone 12 just because it's the newest one.

Remember, it's NEVER about need.....ALWAYS about want!

Your question is irrelevant, it doesn't matter what people think they need.....it's what they think they want which matters. They want great cameras....just because

Soldato
My reason for wanting the best images I can get is due to having a baby, I have a M4/3 Oly which is lovely but I'm not carrying that everywhere and would miss some golden moments.

Associate
I just came back from a 10 day cruise + 11 days around Spain, France and Italy. I'm no pro photographer, nor do I have a DSLR camera. I have a Sony A5300 as my main point and shoot. But guess what, I didn't even use it. All shots I took from my Note8 or my wife's iPhone 7+. My father in law used his shiny new iPhone 8+ for taking all his photos. We were a group of 14 adults and only 1 of us used a point and shoot camera with interchangeable lens. Felt sorry for her as she had to lug that thing around. There was a time when she ran out of battery and the thing was useless. I guess it couldn't be charged using a power bank. Anyway, i would say 99% of pictures taken from my Note8 came out nice (not blurry). I can instantly upload photos to social media and share pictures I took to iPhone users using an app called photosync. Viewing pictures on my desktop looks pretty good in my eyes. For this reason I will never buy a stand alone digital camera again. My phone does it all and taking good pictures is a want and need for me. Furthermore, I upgrade my phone on a yearly basis. This means I get to enjoy new the latest and greatest during my travels and I'm at peace knowing that my phone takes very good photos.

Soldato
OP
Ye
https://youtu.be/bQVdrYUu7rk

Pretty substantial difference among these top cameras. Pixel 2 really shows how far phone cams have progressed.

Best camera is the one you have on your and all that.

Yes of course benchmarks, image samples and lab tests will all show how far cameras have come on and for those that will benefit from the improvements that stuff is great. Hell I’ve benefited from jumps in sensor tech with the low light performance of my Nikon D4, but I use the benefit, it has a tangible and measurable effect for me.

My point being that the vast majority, maybe 98%, will never ever leave the confines of the handset and therefore nearly impossible to differentiate from a flagship camera of 3 years ago so I suppose my question is born of the fact that at the top of nearly everyone’s hit list is a better camera, in actual fact they couldn’t tell if it was the same camera as last years model simply being displayed to them on a better handset screen.

Soldato
I’m probably in a minority but I’ve printed camera phone pics. Trying to photograph an energetic toddler isn’t easy and it’s often more practical to use my phone than a DSLR. Some of the best photos I’ve captured have been with a phone.

Also, you might only be looking at the photos on a phone screen but let’s remember that some modern smartphones have higher resolution displays that most monitors.

Soldato
Ye

Yes of course benchmarks, image samples and lab tests will all show how far cameras have come on and for those that will benefit from the improvements that stuff is great. Hell I’ve benefited from jumps in sensor tech with the low light performance of my Nikon D4, but I use the benefit, it has a tangible and measurable effect for me.

My point being that the vast majority, maybe 98%, will never ever leave the confines of the handset and therefore nearly impossible to differentiate from a flagship camera of 3 years ago so I suppose my question is born of the fact that at the top of nearly everyone’s hit list is a better camera, in actual fact they couldn’t tell if it was the same camera as last years model simply being displayed to them on a better handset screen.

The low light images have improved markedly in recent years - I can definitely tell the difference. OIS, aperture improvements, sensor technology and noise handling algorithms have combined to make low light phone photos so much better these days.

That's a real tangible improvement that can be seen whether you are looking at it on your phone or uploading to Facebook etc.

Soldato
Something else: I expect that the #1 serious application of phone cameras for most people is photographing car accidents. The better the camera, the better the picture of the damage caused to your car

Soldato
Ye

I dunno. Some people want better cameras for trickier situations like low light. The pixel link was there to show how much better it is in low light vs the competition.

Caporegime
I love my Sigma 18-35, I really do but screw carting that around all day.

Been able to capture good quality photos at a moment's notice is very handy for me (not just for social media :p).

Associate
I like taking photos, but I have absolutely no intention of buying a DSLR because I know that I would only carry it when I knew I was going out with the express intention of taking photos, which is basically never.

In other words, I want a camera, but I don't have any desire to fork out for a seperate one for many reasons. Hence, the better the one on my phone, the happier I will be.

Man of Honour
I would love to replace my dsrl (im not a professional and dont use 905 of its capabilities)and point and shoot camera with a phone camera, and am glad people constantly want better phone cameras as it pushes it forward, but until it can replace them then im happy with a poor camera.

Soldato
Best camera is the one you have on your and all that.
All this effectively translates to is having a camera of some kind is better than having no camera at all. Best doesn't even come in to it with a mobile phone. It's just marketing speak since comparing a phone to a small decent camera or even a professional camera equals no comparison. For this reason I will always carry a Sony RX100 or an XE2/3 with me as they are light enough and easy to carry.

Soldato
All this effectively translates to is having a camera of some kind is better than having no camera at all. Best doesn't even come in to it with a mobile phone. It's just marketing speak since comparing a phone to a small decent camera or even a professional camera equals no comparison. For this reason I will always carry a Sony RX100 or an XE2/3 with me as they are light enough and easy to carry.

I'd actually love to see a Pixel 2 comparison vs a mk1 RX100 both on Auto.

At the end of the day most people want the best quality when taking pictures. We pretty much always carry phones so... Go figure.

Soldato
I'd actually love to see a Pixel 2 comparison vs a mk1 RX100 both on Auto.

At the end of the day most people want the best quality when taking pictures. We pretty much always carry phones so... Go figure.
Yeah but it's a contradiction in terms to want the best picture quality and use a phone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom