lens repair

Associate
my trusty 18-200mm nikon vr lens was knocked off a chair on to a solid tile floor while on camera :(
i havent fully tested every thing but the camera doesnt seem too bad apart from the lcd screen that shows f value and some info having the plastic cover pop off that i have since put back on

the lens on the other hand has taken a knock the hood has a crack, that i can live with but the filter smashed. good news is that the front element is in tact apart from having fine glass particles from the filter on it but the bad news is that the filter metal ring is dented as is the front lens filter ring thread part meaning i cant remove the remains of the filter from the lens and even if i could i wouldnt be able to attach another filter

i have emailed one of the main camera stores not sure if rules allow me to mention names?
they have mailed back saying it will need to be posted off for inspection at a cost of £60 and if i go ahead with the repair that will be deducted from the cost of repair but i mailed them back asking for a guess price as i dont want to spend money only to find it will be as cheap to buy another lens, they simply said it usually costs from 90 quid going to to hundreds

any thoughts ? worth reparing?

Caporegime
Check with nikon directly, I believe they will give a quote for free but you will be responsible for P&P.

Associate
OP
i got intouch over the phone and guy mailed me the webform to do for a check , seems there are a coulple of options , get a quote to repair up to a certain value or just get a quote regardless of repair cost but with the second option if you refuse the repair there is an inspection charge,
have put the lens back in its original box and will put this inside another box / packaging fingers crossed it isnt too much to fix

Back
Top Bottom