Gigabyte P35K Boot Issue Caused by Graphics Card?

Associate
My Gigabyte P35K is coming up 4 years old. It has served me very well but recently it has been having a problem booting into Windows. I updated to Windows 10 a few months ago and all was fine. I don't think any recent updates (such as the Fall update) has caused this issue.

When I power on the laptop, the Gigabyte logo shows up and then I get the circle of dots to show that the machine is booting up. The issue is that the laptop doesn't get any further than this and Windows never loads. I have to hold the power button down to turn the machine off. I can get into BIOS no problem. Sometimes it tries to boot into some kind of recovery mode but that also hangs at the circle of dots loading phase. The screen doesn't freeze, but the dots never stop spinning.

The BIOS has an option to disable the 3D accelerated graphics (GTX765). I tried that and it booted no problem. So I can get into Windows as long as the BIOS setting for the nVidia graphics is disabled.

I tried doing a fresh Windows installation and I seemed to be back up and running. I could re-enable the dedicated graphics card, the machine booted, I got the drivers installed and it was great. But then the problem happened again and I had to disable the graphics card again. Tried reinstalling windows a second time but it still refuses to boot if I have the graphics enabled in BIOS.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Soldato
I used to have a P35K and recall, vaguely, a similar issue when I upgraded to Windows 10......from what I remember, it was something around the Optimus element of the driver setup/infrastructure and not using the suggested driver(s). Sorry not to be of more help, it was a couple of years back nearly, but - if any consolation! - I did eventually get it stable.

Back
Top Bottom