Best Way to Warm Plates

Caporegime
Specifics are important because if you get too hot the protein'll be over, for example. Then obviously it's good practice to rest meat and serve it far below what I'm assuming you'd call piping hot.
If it's a pie, stew, slow-roast fatty joint, bolognese, etc. then I'd expect it piping hot as shoulder of lamb etc. needs 90 degree meat temp to fall apart, then it won't be over and it doesn't need to be rested.

Obviously this is personal preference and the concept of very hot food is definitely more prevalent in England than it is in say continental Europe, where they just don't seem to serve food hot in restaurants.

Associate
My Dad would always whack the oven on to something ridiculous, even for a single plate. I would always say how much of a waste of energy it was but it's how he likes to have his food served. Sometimes he forgets about it, ends up leaving a plate in the oven for half an hour at 250 degrees then tries to take it out without oven gloves. My father is a very intelligent and practical man, however the kitchen was never his forte!

Me, I'd pour some water from the kettle over it, or stick them in the sink with some hot water in. If the oven is in use I'll throw them in for a minute or so, but I'd never turn it on specifically. If it's a quick bite to eat or a re-heat, I'm normally too lazy to warm them.

Soldato
How does that work? Surely radiators aren't proud enough from walls to balance plates on? Not to mention the fact that on average radiators will be on and hot enough to warm plates about 1 time in 10 that you need it! Or do you fire up your central heating just to warm plates? :p

Normal central heating temperature (about 18/20c), we've got one of these radiators so you just pop the plate between the gap, lean the back on the wall and you're good to go. I put them on as soon as I get in, cook my tea and by then they're nice and warm.

Back
Top Bottom