Amp & Speakers (5.1)

Associate
Yes another of those threads, but not starting from nowt.

Currently have 4 month old :rolleyes: AVR-X2300W running MA Vector 10's but wanting something prettier and bigger up front for a bit more music listening duty, also have Arcam/TDL/Pro-ject elsewhere for only music duty.

Done a bit of review reading and what not, whilst i'm kind of inclined to stick with Denon give some of the recent reviews i've often wanted to try a Yamaha but never quite took the plunge, so if anyone can persuade me to one side or t'other it'll be you bunch here :)

Anyways Looking at something along the lines of the Yamaha RX-A2070 with MA Bronze 5
will look at adding ceiling speakers for height/other channels in due course but just wondering what you're thoughts were towards this combo.

TIA.

Soldato
I'd keep your AVR, and just buy better/bigger speakers. Instead of buying new Monitor Audio Bronze 5, buy second hand Monitor Audio Silver 6 for the (probably) same price.

Or other brands, go and have a listen.

Soldato
Soldato
Also I'm not sure if I would buy Marantz power amplifier, there may be better options out there for lower-mid range power amps. Maybe Rotel RMB-1555. Or if you're willing to import, Emotiva.

Associate
OP
Hi Guys,

Saw the silver 10's at tysons but dont want black at all unfortunately otherwise i'd have snapped them up, need to be white.

Oh and i should have said i was wanting a whole new set of speakers not just something bigger up front :rolleyes: wanting a set with floor standers up front but not massive ones, and like the look of the rears in MA's av kits, otherwise i've been quite happy the Vectors.

Associate
Also I'm not sure if I would buy Marantz power amplifier, there may be better options out there for lower-mid range power amps. Maybe Rotel RMB-1555. Or if you're willing to import, Emotiva.
They're actually well regarded.

Hi Guys,

Saw the silver 10's at tysons but dont want black at all unfortunately otherwise i'd have snapped them up, need to be white.

Oh and i should have said i was wanting a whole new set of speakers not just something bigger up front :rolleyes: wanting a set with floor standers up front but not massive ones, and like the look of the rears in MA's av kits, otherwise i've been quite happy the Vectors.

What sort of budget are we working with here? All the new MA series are available in white.

http://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/monitor-audio-gold-200-speakers.html?___SID=U
http://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/monitor-audio-silver-200-floorstanding-speakers.html
http://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/monitor-audio-silver-300-floorstanding-speakers.html
http://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/monitor-audio-silver-500-floorstanding-speakers.html

The silver 500 are the replacement for the silver 10.

Soldato
Associate
OP
I think i know what your trying to say about white, reflection from the tv? shouldnt be a problem as the wall the tv will be on is 18ft (room is 18x22 ish) so can keep the speakers far enough away.

Hell no, not forgetting a sub :eek: thats why i've been kinda lazy in looking at the AV speaker packages so at least the sound will be more cohesive.

As for budget, i was looking at 2k ish but for speakers and amp, happy enough with the 2300 but didnt want to spend a good amount on speakers and use with an amp that didnt do them justice (just read whathifi's review of the amp to see what speakers they used - think i may have been over concerned then!), although obviously i dont have to buy both at once - on the flipside while the wifes away :p :cool:

Thanks for the input :)

Soldato
White stands out, that is the worst thing you want when you are watching TV. It'll be in your peripheral vision and draw attention to itself.

If you want white speakers just get white side/rear/ceiling speakers.

£2K for all speakers, subwoofer and amp isn't a lot. Also the subwoofer brand that is the same as the speakers is not always the best choice, you may find better quality subs from subwoofer specific brands.

Go and listen to a few speaker brands. I've own and used

Kef
B&W
Wharfedale
Celestion
SVS
Ruark
NHT
Definitive Technology
Rel

Associate
OP
I realise 2k isnt a great amount but it's a good jump up the scale from what i've got currently, I'm just not keen on spending 10k to listen to coronation street :rolleyes: but will use it for music as well so wanting a fair price/quality balance, i'd love to play with the likes of arcam/cyrus/naim/nad etc and go pre/power but i cant justify it to myself let alone the mrs.

anyways, of the above i had Celestion/Kef/Wharfdales but many years ago, i also appreciate what your saying about one company doesnt always do the best of all, hence going separates all those years ago, havent looked recently at Rel but remeber they used to do pretty good subs, guess i'm getting lazy in my old age and was banking on it being easier to keep the cohesion going as the manufacturer has done the hardest work for me, only got two choices for a look & listen, Richer sounds & Sevenoaks so i'll see what's what with them, only a few door apart too.

Soldato
A good pair of floorstanders is about £900
Subwoofer £400-500
Quality large center speaker (You want a 4 driver big speaker to match those floorstanders) £500-£700. You don't want a weedy little center with large L/R
AVR £500
Sides £300
Rears £300
Atmos £300

There's also BK subs, you'll find they offer better value for money on a sub than Monitor Audio. For example, better quality driver/cabinet, more power, bigger driver than the similar Monitor Audio/Kef sub.

Personally I'd go second hand, you can get better options and higher end speakers.

For example I bought these, and they cost less than the Monitor Audio Silver 6

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg5MjI=/z/tdYAAOSwB-1Y4o0n/$_86.JPG

Associate
OP
Hi,

so seen and had a look and listen and now the goal posts have shifted somewhat! :rolleyes:
and they have approval of swmbo :cool:

I nearly bought the MA Silver 200's, all that stopped me was they'd need to order them in :(
anyways was thinking back to the suggestion of BK subs and both stores thought the BK's were a bit slow for music -
i did take that with a pinch of salt at the time as obviously neither could sell me a BK sub so maybe they would knock them,
they did agree though they were a lot of sub for the money and i could easily do worse, given the sub with the MA's would be the Silver W12 (V2)
which is about a grand i wondered if a rel t9i or SVS SB2000 would be a better option or again would you guys still say BK or stick with the MA sub?

Last edited:
Associate
tbh I'd ignore anything a sales monkey has to say. You'll NEVER get an unbiased view from any of them. Do your research, decided what you want, then buy it.

BK subs are best bough directly from BK. This nonsense of them "being too slow" is BS. They just wanted you to buy their stock.

Back
Top Bottom