Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Soldato
I have a sous vide wand arriving today and am wondering what I can try it with this evening, ideally something that won't take too long but will show off what it can do... I'm thinking an egg might be good, anyone any other suggestions?

Soldato
Well I'm a lucky chappy. Ordered my Bluetooth version back on the 6th October for the awesome offer of £74 and nothing turned up with no emails for over a week. After a number of frustrated emails passing back and forth, I sent my last one before cancelling my order. In it I complained about the delay and felt it would be a nice gesture for them to ship the WiFi one instead if they were having stocking issues. To my surprise, and their credit, a 900 Watt WiFi one just arrived :D

Thanks for the original heads up on the Gen1, Flibster!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Got the Sousvidetools Lite chamber vacuum sealer today which prompted me to get my second Anova sorted as well. Got them all set up in the same place. Very happy with the chamber vac. Used it a fair bit today and even tried it with a bag of soup. Works perfectly. A lot slower than my old external vac sealer but better vacuum and seems to seal better too.

wv8PtRFh.jpg

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Awesome. How large is the chamber? Could you fit a 2kg hunk of meat in there, for instance?

You can just about fit a 30cmx40cm bag in it but it's quite shallow (max height 9cm). The beef in the right hand water bath was a 2kg lump but I cut it in two. The whole piece would easily have fitted length and width-wise but would have been a little tight height-wise - might just about have scraped by.

Man of Honour
Yeah, show us your meat in the hole.

:eek:

Aww yeah :eek:

You can just about fit a 30cmx40cm bag in it but it's quite shallow (max height 9cm). The beef in the right hand water bath was a 2kg lump but I cut it in two. The whole piece would easily have fitted length and width-wise but would have been a little tight height-wise - might just about have scraped by.

Interesting, thanks. I'm really tempted but meant to be saving for a house deposit :(

Associate
Guys, i'm planning on doing the honey roast ham recipe from CS (https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/homemade-honey-glazed-ham). However, I haven't got Instacure no 1 - will that matter? I ended up buying some potassium nitrate from Amazon instead but I just realised that instacure no 1 has potassium nitrite not nitrate!

Can I just go for a normal salt brine or can I use potassium nitrate instead?

Cheers.

Man of Honour
Probably too late now but you can just use the regular salt brine. The meat will just be less pink and will taste more like pork and less like ham.

I think you can get away with using nitrite but I'm not 100% sure. As you've already worked out, it's usually for longer cures and by the time you eat it it has broken down.

Associate
Probably too late now but you can just use the regular salt brine. The meat will just be less pink and will taste more like pork and less like ham.

I think you can get away with using nitrite but I'm not 100% sure. As you've already worked out, it's usually for longer cures and by the time you eat it it has broken down.

Thanks FT! I ordered Instacure from Amazon in the end so i'll hopefully I can do it for around NYE.

Back
Top Bottom