Drainage Plans - Developer Not Playing Ball

Associate
Pretty sure those type of drain/ inspection covers are designed to just rest on top of the frame. They aren't meant to be 'locked' or 'installed.' Happy to stand corrected but most drain covers I've ever seen you can remove the top if you wanted to.

OP is weird. Why so angry about a drain? You know you need drains right?

Sounds like the house builder is alright and just thinks the OP is a pest and as such are ignoring his request. Quite rightly it seems lol.

Soldato
I would like the Op just to restate the issue.
He should have two inspection chambers on his property, one for storm drains and one for sewage.
This is a given.

As for 'no drains' i assume this means that no other property drains through his household or land. This might be what he was told, and might be correct.

What is the issue, bar the lids are not fixed in place?
Is the surround fixed in place?

What drainage issue have you had?
Do you think other properties drain through your inspection chambers also?

Soldato
The drains on our property aren't actually fitted. You can simply come along the side of our house and remove the lid and walk off with them.
That sounds correct to me. Normally that is how drains should be and that's just how you would want them. You wouldn’t want a home without drains and they should just rest like that.

Soldato
There is exactly 1 used drain lid for sale on eBay, I really don’t think you have anything to be worried about.

Commissario
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is/was thoroughly confused.

Drain covers lift off to allow people to work on them, when you've lived in a street with idiots who have babies you'll both curse and praise the fact you can remove the drain covers to unblock the ungodly mess you get when someone flushes the nappies (curse the person who invented the nappy and the one who flushed it, but praise the fact you can at least get access to clear it).

If the fitting the cover is mounted on is moving/unsealed that's an issue I believe, as is potentially a shared drain when you've been told it's not.

I note that the thread has started to sink to new lows, and people are not waste(ing) the opportunity to make terrible puns.

Soldato
In your solicitors searches, they should have done a utilities search which will (should) have a plan of the main drainage in the vicinity, sewers etc. Possibly as a new build, this was not done as the sewers were still off plan so to speak.

In our recent purchase, all searches were copied to me via email as .pdf files.

You will have an interceptor manhole on the sewer which will be on your property or close by on the road or pavement. The lids are not fixed usually but need a key to lift them.
The search only shows the main drains and not any minor ones that connect to them. For example my search showed the foul sewer in the road in front of the house but not the one that runs right through my back garden which several other houses seem to connect into

Associate
The search only shows the main drains and not any minor ones that connect to them. For example my search showed the foul sewer in the road in front of the house but not the one that runs right through my back garden which several other houses seem to connect into

That's usually the case even though recent changes mean the Utility company is now responsible for them.
As and when they become known to the Utility company ( usually when there is a problem ) the records get updated.

So to all the sarcastic people, you’re telling me that the top is fitted to the surround but this isn’t meant to be fitted to anything? What are you smoking?

The lid is fitted into the surround which is usually cemented in.
I'm guessing they haven't done that because the surrounding areas haven't been finished ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
OP
The lid is fitted into the surround which is usually cemented in.
I'm guessing they haven't done that because the surrounding areas haven't been finished ?

Exactly that. Like this https://imgur.com/a/a4PBj

Not quite sure why most didn’t get that.

You can literally remove the whole surround and lid and just leave an empty cylindrical tube going into the ground. Pretty sure it’s mesnt to be secured in.

a4PBj

Associate
If they had cemented them in and you subsequently turfed, flagged, block paved etc and needed to raise them to keep them level its pretty likely you would have damaged them getting them out.

Back
Top Bottom