Road Cycling

Soldato
Just said it's summer bike weather, didn't say it was summery ;)

Although I've only needed leg warmers a few times recently.
So after saying that I just went out at lunch time and having been off the bike with a cold/flu thing for 4 days (yes shout wuss.) I decided Gabba, long sleeve base layer, knee warmers, merino socks, arm warmers was the best choice. It wasn't. Boiled!

Soldato
******* cold out there now when it's dark!
Yeah temperature has plummetted as soon as the sun goes down all week. Has caught me out a couple of times as I'll dress for the temperature at 4pm, not for 5:20pm. Doh!

To be fair I missed to put on a cycling wash earlier in the week so as my 'winter shorts' (Sportful Fiandre Norain) where all still damp I've been wearing various summer shorts with fleecy/roubaix padless tights over the top of them with my goto windproof jersey this time of year (DHB Windslam Blade). Have chucked knee warmers under them in the morning & skipped them lunchtime/later and it has worked well. Temperature range (with windchill) around 3-4 degrees up to around 10/12. Bear in mind my commute is short so I barely warm up when riding and don't tend to overheat with cool winds around.

Padless tights are superb when you have various shorts & warmer options to go under them, my temperature rage is around -10 to +10 with them. I don't know why many other brands don't do them! I've got some Castelli club kit ones but not seen non-club unpadded tights except from Endura & DHB.

You're a brummie after all. Welcome home bruv. :p
Lol oh god, nooooooooooooo! To be fair I'd have been born in Knighton otherwise, it's only because I was a difficult birth my poor mother ended up being rushed to Birmingham... Have always considered myself Welsh as I grew up over the border and lived there for ~32 years.

What's the solution? Lycra undershorts of some description?
Thicker tights/pad, or like I use above - shorts under padless tights. Many riders around here wear padded tights over padded shorts without guards through winter, the twin pads can mean your arse doesn't really get that wet from wheel spray.

Anyone else loving the fact it's still easy Summer bike weather in early November!?
#onebiketorulethemall

Loving the weather, not loving the fact I've signed myself off from club/group riding for the past month. Going to see if her indoors will let me out for a rememberance day ride on the 11th where one of the clubs are going to ride around various war memorials in the shape of poppys. Fantastic idea! :D

Soldato
Does anyone here have Asthma?
This isn't a medical post - just being a bit wondering... I might have it - or I might just have a viral chest infection that's lasted nearly 2 months. Got some more tests next week. Never had asthma before - or it could be COPD. Doctors are funny.

Anyway, I want to ride my bikes whatever.... can I do so if I do end up having asthma all of a sudden?

Very mild as a child and set off by tree pollen occasionally.

When I first started cycling I found cold winter rides seemed to aggravate it and leave me with a husky cough for a few days. Largely brought on from going a bit too deep and breathing very heavily during rides, freezing cold air in red hot lungs etc.

Wearing a neck buff over the nose and mouth doesn't restrict airflow and warms the air enough to mitigate it for the most part. Didn't really have it last year but did during my first year of riding.

Plenty in the pro-peloton are asthmatic, you can get yourself a nice TUE and package from Sky :p

Soldato
Had someone trying to persuade me to buy their supersix evo frameset yesterday. I may have involuntarily sworn when I picked it up. Damn that's a lightweight thing

Associate
https://www.strava.com/activities/1262160790

Another day on the 'bergs, 3 more ticked off the list.

None were too challenging, Eikenberg was a bit of a slog but thankfully the cobbles were in decent enough condition throughout.

However I did get a glimpse of Koppenberg :eek: mother of god it looked vile.

I went down it looping back and had to walk as it had just hailed it down!

jkaLyOw.jpg.png

Jm56o2e.jpg.png

Few more photos on the Strava link including the usual ridiculous off road sections. Honestly don't know how the Propel keeps taking it.

Soldato
https://www.strava.com/activities/1262160790

Another day on the 'bergs, 3 more ticked off the list.

None were too challenging, Eikenberg was a bit of a slog but thankfully the cobbles were in decent enough condition throughout.

However I did get a glimpse of Koppenberg :eek: mother of god it looked vile.

I went down it looping back and had to walk as it had just hailed it down!

jkaLyOw.jpg.png

Jm56o2e.jpg.png

Few more photos on the Strava link including the usual ridiculous off road sections. Honestly don't know how the Propel keeps taking it.
That looks like a cobbly beast!

Got a seat post ordered and bar tape. Didn't go for the beast post,trying to keep thins semi sensible, while as light as I could. Went for the Deda Superleggero RS Carbon as it was on sale and still about 175g. Also ordered the bar tape too. Just waiting for the chinese cockpit to arrive, so might order in my brake cables and shifters so the front end is complete.

If anyone spots any deals on etap stuff (cranks, fd/rd/ cassette) let me know, it's sale season after all :p

Soldato
who are the current rated home contents insurers for bike stuff? I've got 4 or 5, the most expensive probably being about 2k to replace. Never bothered before but since I have to have buildings cover, I thought I might as well take a look at the same time.

Soldato
Not relevant for you as I'm over here, but I had to get new stuff for the new house I'm in and realised when I did how low the cover was they were trying to give me. It was like 50k fire damage and 25k theft!
You don't really think about it, but imagine you had to replace ALL your stuff due to fire, I'm sure as hell it'd cost way more than that. So whatever you do, make sure you get enough cover!

Not looking forward to hitting the road in ~30mins, it's bitter outside! I'm even wearing trousers instead of shorts, will I die?

I thought it wouldn't be too cold out this morning, but it had a bitterly northern wind to it. I stupidly didn't put overshoes on, too, thinking my lovely new winter socks would be enough. They weren't. Even my fingers were cold! The wind and a huge roast last night helped my pace in though, even with back to school traffic.

Soldato
Not relevant for you as I'm over here, but I had to get new stuff for the new house I'm in and realised when I did how low the cover was they were trying to give me. It was like 50k fire damage and 25k theft!
You don't really think about it, but imagine you had to replace ALL your stuff due to fire, I'm sure as hell it'd cost way more than that. So whatever you do, make sure you get enough cover!

it's a first home so i'll have naff all apart from bikes and hifi gear the first year. But i'll set a reminder to tot it all up for the renewal - thanks!

Caporegime
who are the current rated home contents insurers for bike stuff? I've got 4 or 5, the most expensive probably being about 2k to replace. Never bothered before but since I have to have buildings cover, I thought I might as well take a look at the same time.
Are they kept in the house or in a shed? That makes a huge difference. I've about £2,500 worth of bikes and had to change insurers this year as the outbuilding cover on my old one was only £2k. New one, admiral I think, is higher.

Back
Top Bottom