All sorted. Thanks. Feel free to delete

Associate
Hello!

I'm in Canada and about to buy my first new pc in ten years. (Cue mockery) I'm looking to use it for mmorpg play and graphics manipulation

Which of these do you think I should get?

$450
Workstation 16g ram machine w dedicated video card but regular hd. These machines are generally more robust than home desktops, and easy to add to?

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...-graphics-windows-10-pro-refurbished/10654471

$650
Or ssd, w/o dedicated graphics card, regular pc, but 32 g ram.

/en-CA/product/dell-dell-optiplex-9010-intel-i5-3470-3-2-ghz-32gb-ram-128gb-ssd-1tb-sata-drive-win-10-pro-64-bit-fr-eng-1yw-refurbished-optiplex-9010/10558655

Thank you so much in advance. I have to order it within the next hour.

Associate
These are both terrible choices. Do some research, then build it yourself with used parts. You don't have much of a budget which is a problem but ya, neither of those is right for you.

You're going to want at least a GTX 1050Ti if you're doing any kind of gaming.

Workstations are not "more robust" than desktops btw.

Associate
OP
My current computer is twelve years old;p These are a lot better than what I have, and the best I can afford. If you know of where to get better ones for the same amount of money, let me know!

Associate
For $650 you in canada u can eailly build decent basic pc, all you gotta do is hit a particular part website and then go shop at neweg :)

Associate
OP
I'm a complete noob, unfortunately. Building a pc is massively intimidating for me. Looking at Newegg now, but I can't see a better option there?

Associate
Buying pre built you are always gonna pay a hell of a lot more for it that building it yourself.. you can seriously save up to $500 doin it.
But either way do not pull the trigger on either of those desktops )

That first pc you posted earlier for 450 is prolly only worth around 200 max on a good day

Associate
search this on neweg ca, its not great but its better than what you posted

ABS Logic-Frigate Gaming Desktop Intel i3-7100 (3.9 GHz) 8 GB DDR4 1 TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB Windows 10 Home 64-Bit ALI130

Associate
OP
Thank you so much for your help.

Can you explain why that one, with 8g ram and no ssd, is better than 16 or 32g ram? Am I looking at the wrong stats?

Many thanks.

Associate
OP
Thank you all for your help on this. I give 70% of my wages to my community and have a really hard time justifying buying a computer, so I'm trying to spend as little as I can but I'm overwhelmed.
It's why I haven't bought one in so long. Guilt + not knowing what to get or how to get it.

Associate
OP
@spoffle With Lego, I can identify the pieces ;)

This is like playing Lego without being able to see or touch it. I know so little about computers, despite reading as much as I can about them. (much conflicting info)

Soldato
You might want to ask on Linus tech tips as that is a Canadian based pc forum. Someone on there might be able to give you advice. They also have a used section I believe.

Back
Top Bottom