Amp & Speakers (5.1)

Associate
OP
tbh I'd ignore anything a sales monkey has to say. You'll NEVER get an unbiased view from any of them. Do your research, decided what you want, then buy it.

BK subs are best bough directly from BK. This nonsense of them "being too slow" is BS. They just wanted you to buy their stock.

Lol, that's an insult to monkeys, theyr'e way too smart to do retail work :p

just gave them a chance to have their say, just so happens theres a few xxls400's on the bay, cosmetic seconds but am i really going to sit and look at it??

Associate
Lol, that's an insult to monkeys, theyr'e way too smart to do retail work :p

just gave them a chance to have their say, just so happens theres a few xxls400's on the bay, cosmetic seconds but am i really going to sit and look at it??

Do they state the severity of the damage? Cosmetic damage can be anything from a minor chip in the veneer to **** off big scratches.

Associate
OP
I dont want too much sub, want to keep the house intact :o ish

As for the BK's their comment are

“This is a grade "B" subwoofer which means it will have a small blemish which will not spoil the appearance”

and

“There's will be a very small tiny mark on the cabinet which will be difficult to see”

Associate
To the OP; I've just upgraded my Yamaha RX-V1073 to a RX-A2070 with a MA Bronze 7.1 speaker system, using Bronze 6 as the main fronts. I have an REL sub.
The 2070 is a great amp, better features and more grunt than the 1073, and pairs well with the MA. Overall I'm very pleased with the whole system.

Soldato
I dont want too much sub, want to keep the house intact :o ish

As for the BK's their comment are

“This is a grade "B" subwoofer which means it will have a small blemish which will not spoil the appearance”

and

“There's will be a very small tiny mark on the cabinet which will be difficult to see”

No such thing as "too much sub" unless you mean two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU's in a kids room.

A BK XLS 400 is not too much sub, in fact I'd say in a typical living room it's not enough. I have a 12" with 425W amp, it's a great sub, perfect for music, but it's not good enough for home cinema action movies.

Also typically Yamaha AVR's have poor power output, the 2060 wasn't too bad at 56W x 7, but some drop down to 30's or 40's.

Soldato
That Rel is £750, and only 10", with 10" radiator and 325W.

You can buy a better sub, a BK Monolith + would wipe the floor of it, and you'll have money left for a Anti-Mode

And that MA sub is £1000, 12" 500W. Again overpriced.

Associate
I use the Marantz 7011 and MA Bronze 5.1+ pair Dynaudio. Sources are Panasonic Bluray and Toshiba P50T lappy. Output currently Acer 3D FHD Projector. Sounds, looks and feels are truly great. The Denon & Yamaha were equally good but the Marantz was cheaper.

Associate
OP
That Rel is £750, and only 10", with 10" radiator and 325W.
You can buy a better sub, a BK Monolith + would wipe the floor of it, and you'll have money left for a Anti-Mode
And that MA sub is £1000, 12" 500W. Again overpriced.

That's the price we pay with brands, i'd like the monolith+ but the size is a no go at just over 600 high, not a good WAF.
the ma sub being physically small is great for WAF, while the BK xxls400 may not be the best option, at the moment it seems to be the best balance of WAF/bottom end/price
but it aint over yet as there may be something i've not looked at yet, preference wise i'm leaning towards a DF sealed variety upto 12"

Soldato
I've had a few.

SVS PC Ultra 13- had this, a great sub, especially for home cinema and larger room. 13.5" 750W. Native port tune to 16hz. Didn't quite suit the room size.
SVS SB Ultra 13- Got this currently. Same driver as above, but updated plate amp, and works better in my room. Not as good in sheer output and shaking the house down, but very good. 13.5" 1000W sealed box.
SVS SB 12+ For the 2 channel system. 12" sealed box, 425W

Associate
OP
Been looking at XTZ but looks to be a tad too tall, so that leaves the likes of the BK XXLS400 ond the SVS SB2000, your ultra certainly looks like it can kick butt - literally!
but that's more than i want to spend on a sub, already wondering if the MA sliver 200's will be enough as they seem quite small physically compared to my old RTL 3's
these 2 subs look about right size wise and also ok output wise for the size of room (18x22ft ish) but now thinking i maybe need to go with the silver 300's for the fronts
and also up the centre to the C350...

It's hard work deciding which to get, mind you the RTL's i've had since new so the next speakers i buy could well be my last! :eek:

Soldato
yeah if you buy big stereo speakers, you want a big center speaker as well, a tiny little center won't be able to match in sound quality or dB output to the L/R speakers. I like 4 driver center speakers, rather than two or three driver types.

output wise for the size of room (18x22ft ish)

Personally I'd go for a bigger sub that is a fair size room. Try the BK Monolith / Monolith +, or SVS PB2000. Or if you must have sealed go for dual SB2000, single SB Ultra 13.

Associate
OP
Like the look of the sb ultra13 spec especially for it's size, wasnt sure i needed a £1700 quid sub but was still thinking when a sb2000 popped up on the bay 8mth old thought i'd try my luck and got it for just over £500 so can at least have a play and see if i like what it produces, hopefully turns up tomorrow so it's likely to be a noisy weekend :cool:

Soldato
Like the look of the sb ultra13 spec especially for it's size, wasnt sure i needed a £1700 quid sub but was still thinking when a sb2000 popped up on the bay 8mth old thought i'd try my luck and got it for just over £500 so can at least have a play and see if i like what it produces, hopefully turns up tomorrow so it's likely to be a noisy weekend :cool:

Yup SVS's 12" are good subs for the money. Those Ultra's have gone up in price, I paid about half that.

There is a massive difference between the 12" sealed box, and 13.5" sealed box.

Back
Top Bottom