Drainage Plans - Developer Not Playing Ball

Caporegime
I assume he means run through, main drains, main sewers, or supply to properties behind them, or existing large scale storm drains.
I assume....

^^^this

Seemingly he wants to know if these plastic covers (which he's also annoyed aren't secured/fitted) are just for drainage from his property or are an indication that there is stuff servicing other properties running through his property after being assured by the developer that there won't be.

Unfortunately he isn't good at explaining himself and apparently talks like this:

after being reminded by my mrs that "wasn't we told we didnt have drains". I queried it.

Which probably doesn't help.

Of course, there is the possibility he genuinely believe he doesn't need any drains and perhaps thinks this exists:

Associate
I would say the frame isn’t fixed to the chamber. They should be by either using clips or screws through the lugs.
Op is concerned someone will steal his lid and frame.........

Soldato
OP
Wow this is hilarious. I was going to reply yesterday but thought I'd let this ride a little. Thanks for the comments ;)

I'm still unsure as to how I can make this easier to understand. I'll try it in numbered bullet-points maybe.
  1. When buying the house, we were told there was NO drains visible on our land.
  2. We were told that all drains are in the street, not on our land.
  3. Moved into the house, drains are visible on our land.
  4. Therefore, we were either told the wrong thing by the sales team OR the developer screwed up and put visible drains on our land.
I'm really not sure what is so difficult to understand from this. No one is saying our property isn't hooked up to any drainage points. Do you honestly walk down the street and call a drain, a drain cover opposed to a drain?

I'll say it in layman's terms though.

The drain COVERS are not fitted to the big TUBE that goes under the ground.

I'm pretty sure these should have concrete holding them in place.

Hopefully that is at an IQ level that most of GD can understand.

Thanks for the laughs though and thanks to those couple who were intelligent enough to understand it.

Soldato
So to recap, they've forgotten to fix your inspection hatches properly and you've been demanding the plans to the property in response as opposed to just asking them to pop round and fix the inspection hatches?

Yea, it's everyone else that's stupid. :p

Soldato
OP
So to recap, they've forgotten to fix your inspection hatches properly and you've been demanding the plans to the property in response as opposed to just asking them to pop round and fix the inspection hatches?

Yea, it's everyone else that's stupid. :p

Actually I said to them:

"I believe these aren't meant to be here based on what your sales staff told me, so if that's the case, can you show me the plans and remove them. If that's not the case, can you show me the plans and fix them."

Either way, no plans have been shown.

Soldato
I'm really not sure what is so difficult to understand from this. No one is saying our property isn't hooked up to any drainage points. Do you honestly walk down the street and call a drain, a drain cover opposed to a drain?

Yes. Using the correct terminology will avoid situations above.

Using your own analogy. The developer was right. The drains aren't visible!

So what did the developer tell you? Drains or drain cover's

Soldato
Actually I said to them:

"I believe these aren't meant to be here based on what your sales staff told me, so if that's the case, can you show me the plans and remove them. If that's not the case, can you show me the plans and fix them."

Either way, no plans have been shown.

They absolutely need to be there, they serve an important purpose. If you ever get a blocked drain, you'll realise why. IMO you need to request the hatches get fixed and then get on with enjoying your new home.

Soldato
OP
Yes. Using the correct terminology will avoid situations above.

Using your own analogy. The developer was right. The drains aren't visible!

So what did the developer tell you? Drains or drain cover's

I was using a generalisation that I assumed most would understand, clearly not lol.

Where does water run down your street? Down the road through the drain grate? No, you'd say it runs into the drain.

I even spoke to 20 other people about this on a persimmon bashing group :D They all said "Yes, I have a drain that I didn't know about slap bang in my garden". They didn't say "Yes, I have a drain cover that I didn't know about slap bang in my garden."

Associate
I don't get what the issue is though. If it's something as simple as a drain cover, if it's in a paved bit of the property just get a matching cover - block paving has recessed covers so it matches with the rest of the paving and doesn't really stand out, if it's in an area to have grass on it just put a plant pot on it or something.

Soldato
Sounds like the developer didn't concrete/attach your inspection chamber edge because you were planning to supply your own to hide under your choice of landscaping so they couldn't be seen on your property. You'd probably be complaining more if there was a nice concrete ring around it sealing it in.

Get it fixed yourself, then stick a bird bath on top of it to hide it. Job done.

Drains on property is a thing, some sites will utilise underground soakaway chambers either on shared land or driveways which require manhole covers, some developers will use the edge of a property boundary for drainage instead of digging up a road, again leading to manhole covers on what looks like people's property but is also shared land. Neither of these are yours, you have inspection chambers which pretty much every detached house more than 1m away from a pavement will have.

Back
Top Bottom