• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A new titan X?

Permabanned
The problem is it's kind of a vicious cycle for AMD. They blew all their money to buy ATi and invest in getting it producing good stuff again, then their CPU development suffered, they then funneled money from their GPU division to develop decent CPUs again, and now their GPU division is suffering lol.

Hopefully sooner or later AMD will finally realise that competing with Intel and Nvidia at the same time isn't really possible and just sell ATi to Samsung or somebody so we can get proper competition going on again.

Can they afford to sell it? I wouldn't of thought so seeing as they need it for their APU's and console APU's. I imagine this gen of console has been a vital lifeline over the last couple of years.

AMD are separated from the GPU side of things. They formed RTG so i'm sure AMD won't be focusing on the GPU side of things. All though AMD is the parent company, Radeon technologies group was formed so they can focus more on GPU side of things. So they have separate budgets for CPU and GPU now.

As I implied above they need capable gpu's as much as they need capable cpu's. They may of separated the gpu section but that doesn't make them any less important or a lesser part of AMD, Maintaining a strong GPU division is vital for the reasons above.

It's why there are two separate entities now. AMD solely focus on CPUs and RTG solely focus on GPU's. Obviously profits go to AMD which is the parent company.

I don't totally agree with this, Yes RTG is now a separate division but that's all at this point in time. For me Lisa Su jumping in when she did highlights just how important the GPU division is to AMD so I think that a stronger AMD will divert more research and development money to RTG.

Last edited:
Caporegime
:D

On a more serious note, considering AMD/RTG have a fraction of the budget of nVidia for their graphics department they haven't really done bad with Vega! Just a shame HBM2 dragged it down somewhat.

Soldato
I never put my any of my cards under water as no need to, would not matter much on Pascal as no modded bios so limited by power level of whatever 3d party card you can get a bios from.

A GPU running hotter will naturally suck more power, as heat increases resistance across the components containing metal.

Titans boost really well under water too, in fact they do better than the 1080 Ti as they start from a lower base.

My watercooled Titan Xp does about 1930 without me touching any overclocking settings, and sits about 32C on average when playing games.

Sgarrista
Commissario
What makes a "collectors" edition of a frikkin graphics card?

Its not like a limited edition of 10 supercars... in 50 years down the line you arent going to be gawping at old gpus....

Man of Honour
A GPU running hotter will naturally suck more power, as heat increases resistance across the components containing metal.

My watercooled Titan Xp does about 1930 without me touching any overclocking settings, and sits about 32C on average when playing games.

Wow I almost fell off my chair !!!

I thought you always used AMD cards so seeing you with a Titan Xp was quite a surprise.:)

Permabanned
I know what WC can do but just the above user seems to think every Titan owner must put a block on it it, its not needed IMO and my days or water are long gone.

Soldato
Wow I almost fell off my chair !!!

I thought you always used AMD cards so seeing you with a Titan Xp was quite a surprise.:)

I got a 980Ti last year, because there was no way I was supporting a 4GB card at that point in time, and I wanted more performance than AMD's 8GB cards offered.

I got a Titan Xp because I got tired of waiting so long for Vega, only for it to offer "sub par" performance.

I'm not saying Vega performance is bad, but it's barely an upgrade to a 980Ti. That, and Octane Render only works with CUDA based graphics cards.

A Titan Xp was a bit of a no-brainer for me. I would prefer not to be supporting nVidia because of their really sketchy business practices and the damage it can cause to the gaming industry, but it's unfortunately the only option if I want a cert level of performance.

I know what WC can do but just the above user seems to think every Titan owner must put a block on it it, its not needed IMO and my days or water are long gone.

I would argue that it is necessary to get the best of out it. It seems backwards to spend so much on a graphics card, only to run it in quite suboptimal conditions. Titan Xps appear to throttle with the stock cooler quite a bit, so it's pointless. Mine is boosting almost 30% above stock clocks, and I haven't even touched the overclocking settings. That's a lot of performance to miss out on.

Soldato
Doesn’t seem that long ago the Titan-Z came out :o I believe it started about £1400 and look what a piece of crap it is now compared to other cards. No matter how desirable you think this is, it’s worth remembering Nvidia are taking you for an absolute mug :p

In fact, anyone who buys this needs the walk of shame with someone ringing a bell behind them.

Back
Top Bottom