• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which Skylake-X i9

Associate
I'm seriously looking at one of these 3 CPU's as I do heavy workstation stuff, not just gaming. I will be pairing this with the Asus Rampage VI Extreme and the EK Monoblock. I'm coming from a 6-core X58 Xeon ([email protected]):

* i9-7900x
* i9-7920x
* i9-7940x

OCUK do 8Pack delidded and pre-binned kits, I will be looking at overclocking so I will be looking at either delidding myself or getting the pre-binned and delidded ones instead which are preferable.

I have been looking for overclock and benchmark results for all 3 but there is still limited information out there as to how far these can be pushed. The i9-7900x appears to be able to hit 5ghz but I'm just wondering how far the other two can go.

Has anyone got these that can help me choose out of the 3?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm seriously looking at one of these 3 CPU's as I do heavy workstation stuff, not just gaming. I will be pairing this with the Asus Rampage VI Extreme and the EK Monoblock. I'm coming from a 6-core X58 Xeon ([email protected]):

* i9-7900x
* i9-7920x
* i9-7940x

OCUK do 8Pack delidded and pre-binned kits, I will be looking at overclocking so I will be looking at either delidding myself or getting the pre-binned and delidded ones instead which are preferable.

I have been looking for overclock and benchmark results for all 3 but there is still limited information out there as to how far these can be pushed. The i9-7900x appears to be able to hit 5ghz but I'm just wondering how far the other two can go.

Has anyone got these that can help me choose out of the 3?

Hello,

I have the i9-7900x and it's an excellent cpu. I use it mainly to solve computational fluid dynamics problems in both single and parallel execution. I went for a retail one because 8pack delidded cpus were not
available at launch when I bought mine. I'd strongly recommend getting the delidded one.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I'd say it depends what you want to use the CPU, as I used mine for Gaming, Streaming, Messing about with Media and VMs. It took me a while to work out which was best for my requirements and I ended up going with a i9-7900X and from my testing it works perfectly for my requirements and I have been very impressed by how well it games compared to my old X99 system.

It depends on how much you want to push the CPU and how much you worry about thermals and thermal throttle. As reading the average 7900X will do 4.6Ghz @ 1.200 which depending on your cooling solution it may get too toasty. I'd highly recommend buying a delidded CPU or doing it yourself using a Rockit99 or Der8auer Die-Mate-X as its pretty simple. I personally used the Rockit 99 kit which I can't really fault and I know other members here have made there own de-lid tools, its also worrying how much thermal paste Intel have not used.

As a example my thermals:

Prime 95 - Small FFT's

Retail CPU 47 @ 1.180 - 90c ~
De-lidded Retail 47 @ 1.180 - 60c ~

Battlefield 1 - Playing for 2 hours

Retail CPU 47 @ 1.180 - 70c ~
De-lidded Retail 47 @ 1.180 - 45c~

Associate
OP
We have 7900 and 7920 binned or upgrade bundles. For me the bundles are the best option as everything is done for the customer.

Install and run.

Thanks, I did take a look at a few of your 8 pack options, but for my build I'm thinking of going for the 4000mhz G.Skill Trident Z RGB memory instead as I like how it looks with what I'm planning to do so not looking at the Elite Tier one. The description of the ultimate bundle says they're overclocked to 4.60ghz, is that for all the CPU options in the list? It's not clear if they're delidded/binned as the option says they're retail CPU's so I wasn't sure. Do you just overclock them to 4.60ghz and that's it or do you tailor the overclock depending on the the specific CPU's capability you are bundling in the order?

Also any idea when the 4.9ghz i9-7900x pre-binned CPU comes back into stock or is that dependent on when you do the next batch? Just wondering how long I'd have to wait for that one, would the 4.8ghz one be likely to hit higher with a little extra voltage?

OcUK Staff
All our binned cpu's are delid. You can select pretty much any high end for that bundle just call up and speak to sales.

4.6 on 16-18 cores is pretty good I think. 4.9 7900 depends when I bin and are hard to find. 4.8 on 10 core is again enough I think.... Maybe with more voltage they can do. I mean pretty much all cpu's can do one bin extra with higher volts but then users on here cry about Temps...

I would suggest 3600 c16 mems as 4000 is barely more efficient and limiting oc elsewhere.

Associate
OP
All our binned cpu's are delid. You can select pretty much any high end for that bundle just call up and speak to sales.

4.6 on 16-18 cores is pretty good I think. 4.9 7900 depends when I bin and are hard to find. 4.8 on 10 core is again enough I think.... Maybe with more voltage they can do. I mean pretty much all cpu's can do one bin extra with higher volts but then users on here cry about Temps...

I would suggest 3600 c16 mems as 4000 is barely more efficient and limiting oc elsewhere.

Great, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom