Confess your gaming sins...

Soldato
Biggest gaming sin for me is waiting for a sale, then buying all the games that interest me only to have them sit unplayed while I contiunue to play the same set of games I was already playing anyway (CS, Battlefield, GTA5, Rocket league & Overwatch) then moaning at myself for not havintg the time to play the games I just bought.

If i tally up all the time I have played the games on my steam library (600+) I would imagine its only a fraction of that have been tried.

Then theres Origin, Uplay,Battlenet and GoG stuff. :(

Soldato
1) I’ve considered buying Goat Simulator
2) I quite like Train simulator
3) I’ve been playing Star Trek online for 3.5 years and I’ve spent thousands on it
4) I’m too scared to go online and talk with anybody I don’t know!
5) I hate most sport games, golf, football etc.
6) I once bought a special controller and spent about 6 hours perfecting the hover in a military helicopter on MS flight sim...

Man of Honour
-I used to rely heavily on walkthroughs, not just in cases where I got stuck but using them to review the outcomes when you are asked to make choices, to find secrets etc
-I own over a thousand games on digital platforms (majority on Steam) but have barely played most of them
-I've spent more time spectating a single game than I have playing all other multiplayer games combined
-I don't believe I've ever played any online multiplayer game against strangers that isn't a FPS or browser based game
-Never played a CounterStrike or Call of Duty game online
-I have some sort of bizarre phobia about competitive RTS games, so I used to play coop with friends instead
-I have an annoying OCD about avoiding waste in ammo/healthpacks so I will ignore them if collecting them now is inefficient (e.g. not taking a +25h pack if I have over 75h) and then spend ages running back through a level to collect them
-I generally dislike platform and to a lesser extent stealth sections of games, so I will attempt exploits to avoid them such as rocket jumping or sprinting for a checkpoint trigger
-I thought Windows Millenium Edition was OK as a gaming OS
-I used to modify the save game on the original Football Manager to make all my players have skill 9

Soldato
I can't get on with RPG (proper ones with turn based combat, not things like Skyrim, Fallout, The Witcher etc.) and strategy games. Sinful given these are historically where PC gaming's roots are aren't they? I really want to like them but I just can't.

Also I really suck at puzzles and point and click adventure games - often needing to refer to walkthroughs.

I've bought over 300 games this year.

The average price of the 450+ games in my library is £6.

I've only paid more than £30 for a game twice.

I've only paid more than £20 for a game about 10 times.

I liked Resident Evil 6.

Associate
I got a £800 phone bill for playing Quake 3 on Dreamcast.

I don't like single player games.

I paid £350 quid for a geforce 3 on release.

Caporegime
-I have an annoying OCD about avoiding waste in ammo/healthpacks so I will ignore them if collecting them now is inefficient (e.g. not taking a +25h pack if I have over 75h) and then spend ages running back through a level to collect them

I'm exactly the same in this regard. To me, it just seems sloppy or untidy if, for example, I grab a suit of red armour in Quake while the green or yellow one still has plenty of life in it. The same goes for health items as well.

I've bought over 300 games this year.

:eek: :D

Underboss
I enjoyed COD WW2 SP.

It was ultimatley flawed and overly hand holdey, had about as much depth as a sub saharan puddle; on an engine that's older than most of the people who play online but...it was nice to not have jump packs and space stuff, the cut scenes were cool and it reminded me of Band of Brothers, Fury & Saving Private Ryan which is never a bad thing.

Looking forward to the multitude of WW2 games coming out next year very much.

Man of Honour
Buying The Division - I've a huge amount of contempt for Ubisoft and very anti-Uplay and been vocal against Uplay. At the same time however despite some of the always online and DRM aspects still being there they have at least more recently (some must have been fixed pretty recently) addressed many of my older complaints with Uplay and so far not seen a reoccurrence of many of the issues that turned me away from it - some of them I was dealing with for other people up until not that long ago.

Can't see myself buying any other Ubi games though short a miracle happening - but doing a lot of night shifts lately I needed a game like TD to fill in time in the early AM where I'm limited in things I can do without risking disturbing people and nothing else fit the bill.

-I generally dislike platform and to a lesser extent stealth sections of games, so I will attempt exploits to avoid them such as rocket jumping or sprinting for a checkpoint trigger

Yeah I have zero interest in things like platform and for the most part stealth segments (though there are exceptions) and will almost always skip them if I can or just not play a game if I know I have to get through them - same with silly minigames or RC stuff unless the controls are bang on.

Also just about any mechanic in a game where there is one approach and you have to do it perfectly and even a slight deviation = fails which is usually accomplished by performing the same thing over and over until you perfect it = boring as ****.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not so much a sin but more of an admission I have a problem. I am an absolutely terrible special loot hoarder. If a game has special ammo, or potions, one use items or otherwise rare loot I will routinely collect it all and simply stash it and NEVER use it, all the while thinking there must be something later in the game that will absolutely definitely require me to use *all* of my accumulated stash at once together in that final boss fight. Of course, you get to the end and your character so powerful anyway, at best you might use a couple of potions and a couple out of your stash of 1000 diamond arrows or whatever.

Similarly, it takes me a good two thirds of a game to force myself to stop collecting every, and I mean every, item of scrap, junk and other trash items in order to sell at a shop, before realising, as always, that the game is balanced such that two thirds in you'll have more than enough cash through normal means anyway. This happens every time in any game with basic loot. It is annoying and I wish I could stop.

Soldato
I spent far too much money opening loot boxes on counterstrike, I think the most expensive item I got was worth around £2 never did get a knife that I could sell for silly money

I have since stopped playing

Associate
Here's a selection of my sins/admissions/opinions...

- At one point I had 11 active accounts for EVE Online to min-max mining and production.
- I'm lazy and buy the unlock packs for Battlefield games.
- I once spent around 3 hours on Europa Universalis 4 with the game paused, just looking at the map while I debated who to attack.
- When I was part of an MMO's admin team, I used to mess with the players... I'd teleport them to random areas, create invisible walls around them, change their gear, spawn an unbeatable boss next to them, remove levels from them and so on (most of the players seemed to go with the madness that ensued, some submitted tickets that left the support team scratching their heads - I never did own up to the support team that I was the cause of those anomalies).
- I bought a Warthog throttle and stick about a year ago but it's never been taken out of the box...
- I once played a game for such a long period of time that when I went to get up I collapsed and fell unconscious.
- I've paid a friend to complete a game for me because I was too lazy to finish it myself.
- I've spent far too much money on Star Citizen, yet I feel like I'm hardly ever going to play it.
- The first game I played after buying a new 1070 card? Terraria.
- Horror games seem to have lost their touch, I struggle to enjoy any of the more recent titles.
- I bought the Homeworld Remastered Collector's Edition box for the model of a spaceship... I will probably never play the game.

Soldato
Actually thinking about gaming sins, my number one sin probably relates to Everquest.

Once a year the game used to run anniversary server events which resulted in 'Fabled' monsters appearing for a short time frame in the game. The would drop 'fabled' loot and this lead to numerous camps across the servers for these specific MOBs.

My choice was the Fabled Drelzna who would drop Fabled Journeyman Boots.

It was a camp that took me 38 hours or personal neglect while I sat there setting my alarm for when I had to clear the placeholder mobs for the spawn.

36 hours of essentially poopsocking. The stuff I did for pixels.....

Soldato
Only game I’ve ever all-nightered was Runescape on a double exp weekend :D That same weekend I played 40 of the 48 hours double exp. #Goalz.

Bought coins for Fifa Ultimate team from Ebay rather than points from EA, though I stand by that decision :)

Caporegime
The sin for me is pumping so much money into a hobby that's likely made life less enjoyable and me more anti-social on the whole, I've got some good memories from when I was younger but in the last 10 years or so there's very little that sticks out for me and why I've kept on playing, time for another sell up and buy in a few months down the road :rolleyes:

Soldato
I think Half Life 2 is over rated rubbish.

I tell fibs about needing more powerful hardware and then play games like AoE2 once i have upgraded.

AoE2 is too hard so i cheat (swear it used to be easier).

I used to kick people from games as an admin if they were beating my friends teams.

This thread has made me realise that I am a bad person (apart from my HL2 opinion, i stand by that)

Back
Top Bottom