Kitchen unit fell of wall

Associate
Search for corefix fixings. They can take 200kg per fixing. Someone on YouTube demonstrated hanging his huge Pioneer plasma tv using just one of these fixings.

Another good one Dryline pro.

Grip it fixings are just silly. Drilling 14mm holes to hang pictures lol

mjd

mjd

Associate
You can easily test the makeup of the block work behind with a drill. If it's thermalite you will find that you can drill it with a regular drill bit and no hammer. This is not to say you want to do your final fixing this way, it's just to establish what's back there. When fixing to thermalite type blocks, use a masonry bit with no hammer. Thermalite just turns to mush using a hammer action. Without the hammer you will end up with a true hole and not a crumbly mess. I have used rigifix fixings on our dot and dab/thermalite walls and you can hang off them once installed.

Associate
Another vote for RigiFix from me. I've hung two big radiators, fixed a 65" TV and a heavy wall mounted entertainment cabinet containing all our A/V stuff with a heavy sound bar on top to the walls in our new build house. The walls are plasterboard dot & dabbed over Thermalite blocks, which I understand is pretty common these days. The house builder / contractors just used regular screws directly into the Thermalite blocks to fix the original radiators :eek: Bloody cowboys!

Soldato
7mm drill into the breeze, brown plugs, longer screws.

I hang stuff everyday on new build sites (commercial) with dot and dab walls and to take weights much heavier than a domestic kitchen unit. Unless the plasterboards has completely started to break up there and looks unsafe then I'd just re-drill and plug it with the right fixings.

Soldato
I was going to suggest getting a hanging rail, but looks like i was beaten to it. These are much more secure than the small pieces of rail at each end. Then put a couple of fixing at the bottom through the back of the cabinet with a piece of spacer behind the back panel.

https://www.locksonline.com/Cabinet-Hanger-Wall-Rail-2032mm-Long-6492.html

Also when i put the rail on I usually drill at a slight downward angle to add a bit more security.

Edit: Aaaannndd I should have read every post :o.

Soldato
I had this exact thing happen at a previous house. I repaired it by using a cabinet hanging rail which allowed me to use more screws among the length. I used one that was long enough to reach both hooks.

Back
Top Bottom