Road Cycling

Soldato
I'm cycling in Hereford tomorrow as the weather looks clear - going to do a similar loop to what has been posted in the ELY FB page, but go up Pencombe and up to Bromyard. Looking forward to it
The Froomie one? What time are you riding? Might see if I'm allowed out!

EDIT: Something like this? (my route obviously starts from Credenhill & goes back there, I think you'll be in Tupsley kinda area, could meet in Sutton? (Morton is on the A49 and wouldn't recommend it as a very 'cyclist friendly' road).

That's a great price. Almost tempted to grab one for when one of mine dies in future! :o

I've got the Blaze (non-ReAKT)

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Exposure-Lights/Blaze-ReAKT-Rear-Light/GD90

I heard too many stories of the TraceR dying after a short period of time.
The Blaze is superb but the TraceR was always loads cheaper and in sales (with the Blaze not so much) so I couldn't justify one.

Had no problems with my TraceR's, but not heard much about people with problems. Know around 4-5 owners locally with them. Also heard nothing about Exposure's support, usually assume "no news = good news"! :o

Last edited:
Associate
The Froomie one? What time are you riding? Might see if I'm allowed out!

Yes in the main. I was going to ride up to Pool Head (past Sutton), go over Pencombe, down the B4214 to Bishop's Froome and into town via the usual Dormington route.

I'm flexible on the time ,but was thinking of setting off after rush hour and when the roads have warmed up a bit so perhaps 10:00?

I appreciate you've just had the little 'un so just let me know if you fancy riding.

Soldato
Climbing legs needed for tomorrow - I'm planning doing Long Mynd tomorrow afternoon, but on the MTB (which hasn't had an outing for so long I can't recall last time it turned a wheel).

Roads are rubbish atm so ditched the idea of taking the Road Bike - surfaces a bit too greasy for my liking.

Oh wait - wrong thread. :p

Soldato
Had no problems with my TraceR's, but not heard much about people with problems. Know around 4-5 owners locally with them. Also heard nothing about Exposure's support, usually assume "no news = good news"! :o

I've seen the odd good remark about Exposure's support. Can't remember where but seemed they were generally pretty good.

Soldato
Yes in the main. I was going to ride up to Pool Head (past Sutton), go over Pencombe, down the B4214 to Bishop's Froome and into town via the usual Dormington route.

I'm flexible on the time ,but was thinking of setting off after rush hour and when the roads have warmed up a bit so perhaps 10:00?

I appreciate you've just had the little 'un so just let me know if you fancy riding.
I've got a free pass providing I'm not away all day from the Cycling Authorisation Department Supervisor, I've said I'll be back around lunchtime. :cool:

Will email you now to arrange meet & location!

Climbing legs needed for tomorrow - I'm planning doing Long Mynd tomorrow afternoon
Good luck & interested how you find it! I've got friends who live in Church Stretton and the in-laws live in Ludlow so it is on my list... Although I was going to do The Burway first :D

Soldato
Awesome! To be fair I think USE have always been based in the South Downs?

To be fair that's one of the things I tell myself when looking at some of the prices, they're UK designed, supported & UK made. Costs a bit of a premium but worth it in my experience (so far) - and you guys know how much I like to save money/hunt a bargain! ;)

Soldato
Awesome! To be fair I think USE have always been based in the South Downs?

To be fair that's one of the things I tell myself when looking at some of the prices, they're UK designed, supported & UK made. Costs a bit of a premium but worth it in my experience (so far) - and you guys know how much I like to save money/hunt a bargain! ;)

Yeah north of Chichester. Going to have some good stuff coming next year. Not seen my mate as excited before about the products that are due and he can't tell me anything about them..

Soldato
noooo my Edge 1000 has broken :( well the power switch has broken from the board. Trying to find someone to repair as Garmin was £195 for a refurb unit....

Looking at models, the 820 is basically a 1000 but in a smaller shell I believe? Don't want to move away from Garmin as I have so many mounts that would need replacing.

Soldato
Looking at models, the 820 is basically a 1000 but in a smaller shell I believe? Don't want to move away from Garmin as I have so many mounts that would need replacing.

I bought an 820 to replace my 800 and I'm a bit disappointed in it.

Battery life is 10hr at best and the touchscreen is pretty poor with bare fingers and barely usable with gloves.

Soldato

Battery life is 10hr at best and the touchscreen is pretty poor with bare fingers and barely usable with gloves.

So no different from my current 1000 then! Don't reckon I could plump for a 1030 after holiday unfortunately.

Soldato

How do you get 10h out of a 820? I get no where near that.
Does it use more battery if you put on the free map download (sorry, ive forgotten the website name).

Soldato
How do you get 10h out of a 820? I get no where near that.
Does it use more battery if you put on the free map download (sorry, ive forgotten the website name).

I've extrapolated slightly based on it reading 50% remaining after a 5 hour ride. That was with the back light disabled too. Disappointing considering they claim 15 hours! Battery usage is higher if you're following a GPX route as far as I know. Not sure if the actual maps make a difference, I've never used anything other than the ones Garmin pre-load.

Screen real-estate is less than an 800 and definitely less than a 1000 (it's the same body as a 520) and I just can't understand how in 2017 they've managed to use touchscreen tech that feels like it's from the 90s!

Soldato
I've extrapolated slightly based on it reading 50% remaining after a 5 hour ride. That was with the back light disabled too. Disappointing considering they claim 15 hours! Battery usage is higher if you're following a GPX route as far as I know. Not sure if the actual maps make a difference, I've never used anything other than the ones Garmin pre-load.

Screen real-estate is less than an 800 and definitely less than a 1000 (it's the same body as a 520) and I just can't understand how in 2017 they've managed to use touchscreen tech that feels like it's from the 90s!

Worst thing about mine is the input lag. There is a second or two delay from you touching it to it actually responding. Its infuriating.

Soldato
I have read you can just turn the garmin adapter 90 degrees. Not sure how well that actually works or if it's really that secure though.

Yup, there's 6 and 8 man options as well as 6 & 12hr variations too I believe :cool: Wish me luck.
If you enjoy it then you can do the Red Bull Time Laps in October too (if they do it again!). I think the Revolve24 looks like a better event generally... especially having a pit garage to hang about in and the course looks much wider.

Associate
I'm still on the hunt for a bike out here, finding more and more routes each week and the Propel is slowly suffering.

Requirements are:

Able to handle the dreadful roads, canal paths and cobbles
Panniers if possible for commuting (I know some of these don't).
Decent tyre clearance
Maybe look into doing some longer days in the summer
Take it into the Ardennes for a bit of gravel/trails joining the GF on her MTB.

Just flicking through Evans I've found these for similar budgets.

Question is finding something that can do most of the above for the money or wether I need to invest more now in a better frame (higher end Genesis/Fairlight etc) and slowly upgrade.

Genesis Croix De Fer 20
Kona Rove ST
Specialized Crux E5
Pinnacle Arkose 4
Cannondale CAADX SE
Cube Cross Race Pro

Back
Top Bottom