What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
split - 5/10 at best - i had heard good things about this movie and mcavoy was good but it was really badly written and characters do things and say things for no good reason.
m night shamalamalan is a hack.
Its not that bad. The main problem with Night films is their one watch only really.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Star Trek: Beyond. 7/10. The bad guy ( Krall ) was a bit lame, but as a ST movie it wasn't a bad way to spend a couple of hours, certainly seen worse ST movies that's for sure. :p

Soldato
split - 5/10 at best - i had heard good things about this movie and mcavoy was good but it was really badly written and characters do things and say things for no good reason.
m night shamalamalan is a hack.

I thought that Split was excellent, one of my favourite movies I have seen in the past 12 months.

The prospect of 'Glass' next year as well........:eek::eek:

Associate
The Babadook (2014)

Heard lots of good things about this film and avoided any spoilers so had no real clue as to the plot. It's been a while since I have enjoyed watching a current day horror, usually over the top CGI or just plain gore fests put me off. I prefer spooky stories (The Shining, Omen etc) so this film ticked all the boxes. I really enjoyed and it exceeded expectations.

Very well done and if you like unnerving stories rather than outright horror - Heartily recommended. 8.5/10

Associate
Paddington 2 8/10.

Was an extended family trip to watch it as it was my cousin's 40th birthday and he was the gaffer on the film.
Wasn't expecting much but really enjoyed it. A lot better than the first.

Even better when you have inside information on how the film was made!

Caporegime
I watched The Foreigner 8/10 and Chappie 7/10.

Jackie chan, getting old, still kicking asses, still doing all his own stunts, i assume. Pretty good fun like all his films.
Short Circuit South African edition. Not as good as the first time at the cinema but its nice enough. Bit of cringy acting, bit violent, bit wtf. All good.

Commissario
I watched 'Your name' last night which I'd give a relatively easy 9/10.

It's a "body swap" style film that is beautifully made and with a few twists and a nicely paced story. It's an anime but don't let that put you off it :)

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Justice League -7.5/10- Far from perfect but a lot better than i expected. Josh did a good job salvaging a bad movie to something that was watchable. The whole "tash" problem was a bit farcical. Still plenty of gotcha moments that will please comic book fans.

Soldato
8MM at about 3am this morning as couldn't sleep

good gritty film they dont make them like this anymore or we dont accept it if they do 7.5/10

in the middle i had to google snuff film as i didnt quite know what it meant, soon wish i hadn't. some sad story's out there

Soldato
Clue - classic mid 80's comedy based on the board game Cludeo. Some really silly moments, laugh out loud sections, epic cleavage and three possible endings make it better than it sounds! 4/5

Soldato
Well I watch The Great Wall and Baby Driver.

The Great Wall was a bit of silly fluff, nice costumes, nicely filmed no great shakes in either the plot or the acting to lift it above enjoyable filler status. 3/5

Baby Driver this I really liked this, nicely acted pretty good script. The acting and camera work are great and it is filmed with a great sense of style I completely understand why it was so lauded on release. 5/5

Caporegime
Paperhouse.

This British dark fantasy film was based on Catherine Storr's Marianne Dreams, which it vaguely resembles.

The cast includes Ben Cross (Chariots of Fire) and Gemma Jones (Sense and Sensibility, Bridget Jones' Diary), but the lead role is played by little-known Charlotte Burke, in her one and only big screen appearance.

Burke stars as Anna Madden, a troubled girl whose alcoholic, emotionally distant father works overseas. Her mother (an awkward, wooden-faced Glenne Headly) with whom she shares a spiteful love/hate relationship, is a business professional of some description, and has little time for Anna's angst.

Burke was actually 14 years old at the time Paperhouse was made, but her small face, short stature, and immature body allowed her to pass for the 11 year old Anna. Incredibly, we still get a bath scene in which she is briefly shown topless.

Anna's mother smokes like a chimney, casually flicking ash and half-finished cigarettes out the window of her Saab while exchanging insults with her daughter and agonising over her frayed relationship with her husband. At one point she slaps Anna across the face, and Anna barely reacts. This is a family in which domestic violence is part of everyday life.

In an unrelated scene, Anna chats with her slutty school friend Karen (a frisky Sarah Newbold, who eventually found her way back to cinema in 2004 as assistant supervising producer for Juliette Soubrier's La dernière visite) while they both try on makeup and discuss the merits of snogging (Karen boasts that she's had four different boys in one night).

Having established that Anna is an irritating little bitch, the movie takes a U-turn and asks us to sympathise as her life is disrupted by supernatural shenanigans. She enters a dream world where she meets Marc (a languid Elliott Spiers, who looks like someone who's about to die in the next 6 years, which he actually did) and discovers that her actions in the real world affect events in his.

Marc and Anna hit it off surprisingly well for two kids who aren't very likeable (I kept hoping that Anna would push Marc out the window, and even offered to do it for her at one point) and together they try to solve the mystery of their curiously intertwined existential dilemma. Resolution is possible, but it must come at a terrible price. Who will pay: Anna, or Marc? (By this time I was hoping it would be Marc, because he's a boring little **** whereas Anna is quite cute once you get past her bitchiness and 1980s hair).

The movie works on a number of levels: psychological, philosophical, and societal. The overarching theme is of course the onset of puberty, and the trauma this inflicts on Anna's damaged psyche. A secondary motif is Marc's helplessness, counterbalanced by a disturbingly Oedipal theme in the third act, where Anna's father makes a surprise entrance in a manner not conducive to filial piety.

Paperhouse is far from perfect, but the remastered 1080p print corrects the inconsistent 'dark wash' palette of the original, boosting saturation levels to decent values and rebalancing the skin tones. Director Bernard Rose was a little too fond of the so-called 'scratch cut' technique (which initially gives the impression that you're watching one of those dreadful Scott Shrosbree films) but it somehow works better than expected.

I rate Paperhouse at 24.97 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a perky 7.5 on IMDB.

Back
Top Bottom