Z97 Pr Gamer M.2 - what drive?

Associate
Hi!

I have an M.2 slot on my Asus Z97 Pro Gamer and would like to get a drive for Win10 and use my existing 500 GB Crucial SSD for games.

Do I just go for any 128 GB 2260/2280 type or is there anything you would recommend?

I was thinking NVMe to have a really quick one but would I even see the difference and would it be worth it if my games will be on the 500 Crucial anyway?
AFAIK, I would have to deal with big files to really take advantage of this drive but the pagefile is one I guess and just wondering what people's experiences have been.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...3.0-x-4-nvme-solid-state-drive-hd-22c-sa.html

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a similar board (ASUS Z97A) and the M.2 slot will bottleneck the performance of an M.2 NVMe SSD to about 800MB/s read/write. To unlock the full performance out of an M.2 NVMe SSD in your system you would have to mount it to an add-in PCI-Express adapter and pop it into one of your PCI-E gen 3.0 slots but in doing so you would restrict any PCI-E gen 3.0 graphics cards to running at x8 instead of x16.

Back
Top Bottom