£1200 Workstaion

Associate
I work a lot with virtual machines upwards of 3 at a time.
I do game but nothing intensive,
I have keyboard, mouse, 1 monitor, w10, speakers and SSD so would need 1 hdd

Any help would be appreciated
I would like a complete new build as my current i5 660 is starting to fall behind with my needs with VMs

Associate

I would like a complete new build as my current i5 660 is starting to fall behind with my needs with VMs
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,202.51 (includes shipping: £14.70)

The 1060 is a capable gaming card at 1080p. But if you really didn't game much at all, swap it for a 1050/1050ti, increase the RAM to 3200mhz and maybe a 1800x + cooler instead of 1700.​

Last edited:
Permabanned

Hi,

Well, this:

Total: £1,184.36 (includes shipping: £12.60)

I tried with Ryzen Threadripper but when you go for a 12-core/24-thread, you very quickly run out of the budget:

Total: £1,199.35 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Associate
Would also need a CPU cooler for the 1800x and 1920x

Associate
OP

Would also need a CPU cooler for the 1800x and 1920x

Cheers for the input guys,
I don't think the 16gb ram will be enough for my needs so I'll have to go with the 32 most probably.

Soldato
Soldato
Always go for Radeon RX 580 with its 8GB VRAM. You get more for less money.

4 year warranty on that Aorus, top-end GTX 1060 model not budget RX 580 model, UK RMA, runs less hot and therefore probably quieter, backplate. These are things to also consider.

At the point some rare game and/or resolution requires more than say 4-5GB, both the 1060 and 580 will tend to struggle and you'd want a more powerful card in the first place like 1070+ or Vega.

The seemingly excessive 8GB is on those RX 580s for CrossFire scenarios, where two of them could power the type of usage demanding 6-8GB VRAM.

Permabanned
4 year warranty on that Aorus, top-end GTX 1060 model not budget RX 580 model, UK RMA, runs less hot and therefore probably quieter, backplate. These are things to also consider.

At the point some rare game and/or resolution requires more than say 4-5GB, both the 1060 and 580 will tend to struggle and you'd want a more powerful card in the first place like 1070+ or Vega.

The seemingly excessive 8GB is on those RX 580s for CrossFire scenarios, where two of them could power the type of usage demanding 6-8GB VRAM.

Sorry but RX 580 is overall the faster card and you wanna the guy to pay more for slower... Arguments don't work. 8GB physically is 8GB and he can use them for whatever applications and how he feels is all right. The RX 580 can also overclock and become the toppest end card.

Associate
The Ryzen/Threadripper systems do offer very good value for the core ratio & for standard windows use they run well.
Be cautious and do research first, the platform is still immature and is plagued with issues in the business/vm world.
Depending on what you want your VM's to do, and how they work there are lots of outstanding issues, check others are running the same hardware error free first when doing the same vm tasks as you.

Things are getting fixed over time, it's mostly a matter of Amd/hardware & software vendors getting to grips with the new platform rather than something inherently wrong.

Permabanned
Intel EOLed Broadwell CPUs. Actually, this 6-core processor and the other components, you are offering significanly inferior, dead system?

The Ryzen/Threadripper systems do offer very good value for the core ratio & for standard windows use they run well.
Be cautious and do research first, the platform is still immature and is plagued with issues in the business/vm world.
Depending on what you want your VM's to do, and how they work there are lots of outstanding issues, check others are running the same hardware error free first when doing the same vm tasks as you.
Things are getting fixed over time, it's mostly a matter of Amd/hardware & software vendors getting to grips with the new platform rather than something inherently wrong.
This is the usual excuse not to buy an AMD system.
But the solution is to stop buying Intel systems, so the ecosystem gets its act together :mad: :o

Permabanned
Why not? if you look at an actual review with numbers - it's really not as clear cut that this is inferior. The 6850K will use a little more power at full wack but would beat an 1800X in a number of interesting benchmarks (check anandtech they have a good review). Buying older hardware has always been interesting and makes choices more fun - you still get the warranty from purchase time so I don't really see the issue if it fits your need? And in a few years time pick up a 6900K or 6950K second hand when they're being dumped and upgrade to 8 or 10cores...

Choosing a CPU that is best for you is way more complex than just core count, gaming benchmarks and clockspeed. Unless you're contributing to opensource software to improve AMD support I seriously doubt you peddling CPUs on a forum is going to make a difference. Buying for idealistic reasons is great but maybe not what the OP wants ;) If it makes you feel better buying EOLd stock on huge discount is "sticking it to the man!" as pretty sure it's been dumped at a loss - although not sure if it's Intel, OCUK or the distie loosing in this case...

Because not. With AM4, the OP will have an open upgrade path with modern CPUs, Ryzen 2, Ryzen 3 and Ryzen 4.

Back
Top Bottom