Own a Diesel car? See your TAX increase..

Soldato
Even assuming these are vehicles which attract P11D tax, I'd still wager you are the exception rather than the norm. The vast vast majority of company cars are leased vehicles on a 3-4 year maximum replacement cycle.
Sections F and or G, as I understand it.
So basically we and BT are the exceptions... and probably most of our contractors...

Well I see puffs of smoke out the back of just about every diesel I see that's old enough not to have a DPF, but it's not just particulates, it's the NOx that's the real problem.
1.9 TDi PD ASZ - No DPF until they went CR.

Man of Honour
Oh come off it, the idea of resurrecting a pile of crap 17 year old cars that have been stood for 8 years is hilarious, and for what reason? Not like there is a shortage of cars in the cheap banger market now is there?

Soldato
Oh come off it, the idea of resurrecting a pile of crap 17 year old cars that have been stood for 8 years is hilarious, and for what reason? Not like there is a shortage of cars in the cheap banger market now is there?

Not sure if serious or comedy genius.

Yeah fox what Im arguing for, is we find all those cars that turned into tin cans in 2010? and restore them back to original. PMSL

Haha haha has to be the dumbest assumption I've seen on the forum ever. PSML find all the scraped cars Hahaa. Oh my god I can barley type.

Associate
Not sure if serious or comedy genius.

Yeah fox what Im arguing for, is we find all those cars that turned into tin cans in 2010? and restore them back to original. PMSL

Haha haha has to be the dumbest assumption I've seen on the forum ever. PSML find all the scraped cars Hahaa. Oh my god I can barley type.

You are aware that most of the cars traded in through the govt scrappage scheme are sitting in disused airfields doing nothing.

Soldato
Not very many nice cars in the banger market, though... I got lucky with mine.
Friend of mine recently restored an MR2 and he has a pair of Supras (one MkII and one MkIII) both begging to be put back on the road. We recently started the II, actually and despite looking a little tatty it actually ran very well... :p
I'd rather see them on the road than a boring Yarris or summat.

Soldato
You are aware that most of the cars traded in through the govt scrappage scheme are sitting in disused airfields doing nothing.

I did hear someone managed to buy a load and some got saved from the crusher. Probably becuase of the expected future of classic cars.

Soldato
most of those old cars are run by folk who cant afford to buy a new car,

Also, and even more to the point.

Most of those folks will only do a low annual mileage. I have plenty of retired customers with such vehicles who do less than 5000/year.

It isn't the amount of pollution/mile that matters. It is the amount of pollution/year. There will be plenty of Euro6 drivers who will be producing similar or even greater amounts of pollution than people driving around in 15 year old VW passats etc.

Recently, i read that the "T charge" isnt expected to make any measurable difference to air quality (Cut NOX by 2-3% at best). The LEZ didn't make any measurable diference either.

Basically because the people affected (And who were as individuals were affected very badly) only ever made a tiny contribution to overall pollution levels in the first place.

It is grotesquely unfair to cause significant hardship for a small (though not insignificant) number of people for no gain other than for politicians to be able to demonstrate how "Right On" they are and that they are seen to be "Doing Something"

On balance I think this is a good start.
Its starting to reduce the tax advantages of diesel, which ultimately is what we need to happen.

Also investment for charging etc makes EVs more attainable, although I suspect we will need high investment in this every year for some years.
Where the government should step in I am not so sure, but if it helps get over the initial hurdles that give the industry the momentum it needs then thats necessary

Soldato
You mentioned aerodromes full of free cars?
Whilst I think he's doing his best to do everything except explain the point in simple terms, I think what he meant was that when running a scrappage scheme, which supposedly doesn't get rid of the real bangers because people running them won't be able to afford to trade up to a brand new car... Rather than scrap all the 10 year old Golf 2.0tdis you'd get, use them to do a 'swappage' scheme so that the guy in a 20 year old Peugeot diesel can get that off the road and upgrade to the newer Golf. That way you're doing more to remove the proper old bangers, not just the stuff owned by people who can afford a new car.

Soldato
Whilst I think he's doing his best to do everything except explain the point in simple terms, I think what he meant was that when running a scrappage scheme, which supposedly doesn't get rid of the real bangers because people running them won't be able to afford to trade up to a brand new car... Rather than scrap all the 10 year old Golf 2.0tdis you'd get, use them to do a 'swappage' scheme so that the guy in a 20 year old Peugeot diesel can get that off the road and upgrade to the newer Golf. That way you're doing more to remove the proper old bangers, not just the stuff owned by people who can afford a new car.

But will 'Mr Peugeot' want to get rid of his 20yr old car for a 10 year old VW that will have DPF/DMF and all sorts of potential problems?
The reason people drive old cars besides initial outlay is reduced chance of something going poof.

Soldato
But will 'Mr Peugeot' want to get rid of his 20yr old car for a 10 year old VW that will have DPF/DMF and all sorts of potential problems?
The reason people drive old cars besides initial outlay is reduced chance of something going poof.
Who knows, it's not my idea, just trying to interpret jiggers posts with something more logical than recommissioned crushed cubes from a decade ago :p

Soldato

this is true, there's a mate of mine has a 306 that fits this exact description, it's become a joke now "when are you gonna let it die"

Soldato
Surely someone could invent some kind of carbon based filter that just sticks on the end of the exhaust.

In fact such things already exist for industry, but no one wants to pay for it...

Back
Top Bottom