Advice selling laptop (eBay)

Associate
Hi after a bit of advice, I'm selling a laptop on eBay it's worth around £1100
And just want to avoid being scammed.
I've listed it as cash and PayPal for payment and collection only , as I really want to show the buyer it's undamaged and working correctly.

Am I okay doing it this way? Thanks

Caporegime
Whatever you do, don’t take PayPal for a collected item!

Cash on collection, or Paypal and post it!

Also make sure you have serial numbers, date stamped photos of condition, proof that you packaged it well, etc.

Soldato
Jean Claude says good morning

e0r0hh.jpg

Soldato
far to risky to go through ebay for a sale like this. Even with a signed delivery or a part number, there always seem to be something that goes wrong. Sell it on AVforums or facebook.

Soldato
Your auctions will automatically have to offer PayPal. You no longer have to accept it though and cash on collection only is fine providing you put it clearly in the auction text and checkout instructions. eBay stopped enforcing that you must take PayPal rule regardless; in the way they aggressively used to since collection goes against PayPal's seller protection policy.

The problem happens at checkout where sometimes you can't seemingly buy the item without processing PayPal. You can, but is just the way the system works and pushes transactions to PayPal. However if that happens you can just refund the PayPal payment. Using best offer doesn't seem to cause the same issue. It also opens up dialogue with the buyer more and allows you to reiterate terms.

Stick to your guns, make the auction clear and don't be persuaded to post or collection with PayPal.

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere you will still have a potential buyers market of millions within a reasonable collection only locality.

Only downside to not taking PayPal is many people use their credit card via PayPal for sizable purchases as don't have cash to hand. Also PayPal credit is popular as up to 24months interest free helps.

If cash on collection, then you may not get quite the same value as shipping due to limiting your market a bit more but it's definately the way to go.

Gumtree is really good for selling laptops and phones as the cash in hand buyers like this platform but depends on price points.

Associate
I recently sold my Omega watch on ebay for more than a shop was prepared to pay for it and actually what I paid for it back in 1998. Chap paid Paypal, I sent special delivery and all ok. Just luck of the draw I guess, there are good buyers out there.

On the other hand, I've had more problems trying to sell off some model airplanes. Sold one using global shipping and all went well, ebay delivered it to Canada but the buyer claimed he found a small scratch on it and wanted a partial refund. Well he raised a case with ebay Canada and they put all of the amount on hold in Paypal and then refunded the buyer IN FULL! It took me around an hour on the phone to ebay and finally got through to someone in Paypal who knew what had happened who released my funds back to me.

Global shipping works great unless the buyer was to raise a dispute then your basically ******!

Soldato
I've sold many laptops of high value on eBay and have never had any issues. Always described and taken pictures of items with serial numbers videos of packing. It's a risk to be honest.

Associate
OP
I did remove this earlier but think I'll relist with Scrutinize's advice (state cash on collection only) although PayPal's on by default I'm assuming it would cost me nothing if I had to refund because of the description not being read properly.

I have tried Gumtree it's been on there a month it cost me £1,900 14 months ago so I think I'm being realistic? Everyone just wants to swap for phones on there

Associate
h
I did remove this earlier but think I'll relist with Scrutinize's advice (state cash on collection only) although PayPal's on by default I'm assuming it would cost me nothing if I had to refund because of the description not being read properly.

I have tried Gumtree it's been on there a month it cost me £1,900 14 months ago so I think I'm being realistic? Everyone just wants to swap for phones on there

Phones, tick till payday, swap for a 'stompa', motocross bike, part ex with a rustbucket of a car, my iphone 4 and 100 quid cash and collection, usually the response you get to anything over £200 on Gumtree....

Soldato

Laptops as with most electronic goods are a hard sell second hand once over a few hundred in value or unless they are a highly desirable model. It may have been £1900 just over a year ago but tech moves on fast and you can probably, and certainly in the buyers mind, buy new equivalents for sub 1k.

Buyers are definitely concerned with warranties etc too, so that price as a private seller you may be pushing it even if it has a transferable warranty. Out of interest, what do CEX offer and are there many sold used examples on eBay?

If CEX were offering in the £700-£900 region consider taking that offer. If they are much lower then you may be over pitching it especially if wanting cash.

It's different if you are a business seller since they offer warranties etc so can expect more.

Soldato
I'd never chance that value on eBay. Used to only sell low value to a max of about £60 ish but now I only ever sell on Gumtree and local Facebook selling groups with cash on collection or cash on delivery for the right people without transport.

Gone are the good old days when you could list stuff for sale on eBay without offering PayPal and only accept bank deposit and cheques etc. Everything moved at a slower pace but everyone was happy. Now it's the "got to have it now or asap" generation.

Associate
OP
One just sold on eBay for £1190 same model just bigger mechanical hdd, haven't tried cex yet, there's one 15mins from me so may as well ask, I just expected to be offended by them.

It's a gaming laptop and the plan was to get a one x and cheaper laptop for non gaming, if I can't get 1k I'll end up just keeping it

Back
Top Bottom