• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 3570k: Ryzen 5/7 or i5/i7?

Associate
Hello,

With the black friday sales I am looking to upgrade my pc to be more capable for recording and streaming gameplay.

I currently have a i5 3570k at stock with 8gb ram and a 1060 3gb. I play at 1080p/60fps (i dont care too much for max settings as long as 60fps can be achieved), I have not tried streaming but I can record at 720p/30fps without any problem, However cpu usage does hit 100%, and sometimes the recorded footage has hitches here and there.

I am considering either a Ryzen upgrade or coffee lake upgrade, but the main factor is budget (max £400) especially with the RAM prices being high and the second factor is an eventual upgrade to 1440p (new gpu and monitor around this time next year).

Is it worth upgrading from the i5 3570k or just waiting and upgrading everything later together for the 1440p jump. Alternatively I would consider a ryzen 5/7 upgrade now (or coffee lake equivalent) and upgrade the gpu later on assuming the next xx60 nvidia equivalent can handle 1440p well.

Also is there any expectations that RAM pricing will drop within the next few months?

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends. Now you can take advantage of the Black Friday deals and your budget is small.

I went from a 3570k and a 970 to a 1700 Ryzen and a 1080 with a 1440p monitor upgrade also.

You might be able to find 1600x bundle.

Alternatively Ryzen 2 is now only months away. You could wait. But then your £400 wont be enough I imagine.

Last edited:
Soldato
First things first, why not overclock your 3570k? Your chip will get to at least 4.2ghz, more likely 4.4/4.5ghz depending on your cooling. That would make a huge difference from running it at stock and would cost you nothing.

Associate
OP
Just an update, I managed to get 2x8gb 2400mhz ddr4 ram for £80 over the weekend. To help save for a better GPU, I am thinking of getting the ryzen 5 1600 and mobo and selling off my old z77m mobo, 8gb ram and cpu (i5 3570k). Would the ryzen 5 last a decent length (5 years) before becoming "weak" or would it happen sooner than that?

As for overclocking, I have put a 4.0ghz overclock on the 3570k and it hasn't a noticeable difference with recording or streaming while playing a game. Game performance is no difference since I use borderless window/60fps limit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just an update, I managed to get 2x8gb 2400mhz ddr4 ram for £80 over the weekend. To help save for a better GPU, I am thinking of getting the ryzen 5 1600 and mobo and selling off my old z77m mobo, 8gb ram and cpu (i5 3570k). Would the ryzen 5 last a decent length (5 years) before becoming "weak" or would it happen sooner than that?

As for overclocking, I have put a 4.0ghz overclock on the 3570k and it hasn't a noticeable difference with recording or streaming while playing a game. Game performance is no difference since I use borderless window/60fps limit.

4ghz is nothing they are 3.8ghz stock, try 4.8 if you have decent cooler as that would be 20% improvement.

A ryzen 1600 would have a lot more threads so should last a good while.

I had 5 years out of my 3570k that I just replaced and that's still sat here in my other rig @ 4.8 still ok processor from for gaming with slower cards but no good for steaming or big multiplayer games like battlefield/starwars.

Associate
OP
Cooler is a coolermaster tx3 that came bundled with the cpu, so I don't expect anything significant.

What made you choose i5 8400 over the K version/ (or ryzen)?

Soldato
Cooler is a coolermaster tx3 that came bundled with the cpu, so I don't expect anything significant.

What made you choose i5 8400 over the K version/ (or ryzen)?

I got it just for gaming and the 8400 is very good, it's one of the best gaming processors out there. It's really cheap I paid £160 from for mine and because it doesn't overclock I can just use the stock cooler that comes with it and any cheap motherboard.

If had gone for the unlocked 8600k it would have cost me at least another £150 on top and looking at benchmarks there was very little difference between them. Benchmarks show the 8400 is plenty fast enough for even a 1080ti.
http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-i5-8400-review-the-best-new-gaming-cpu-in-years/

At some point in the future I might swap out the 8400 for a second hand 8600k/8700/8700k.

I game at 1080p and wanna play lot of gta so ryzen would be really bad for me as it doesn't do well at 1080p gaming or gta compared to the intels.

If you wanna stream though you probably best with ryzen as it has the extra threads. I have never looked into streaming but all the people on here always say ryzen is the one for streaming.

You should be able to get at least 4.4 out of that processor on that cooler I would just put voltage up to 1.3 and keep an eye on temps see how it goes.

Associate
OP
I went for the Ryzen 1600 and Asus game deal in the end, figured I could sell one of the games to get the overall cost a little lower.

Back
Top Bottom