The Black Friday 17 Thread! - pls make sure you understand competitor rules

Soldato
Picked up a Minecraft Creeper Xbox controller @ £46 (Amazon). Xmas present for the Cheesylad to go with the ITX minecraft box I'm building him.

Also grabbed a Sonos Play1 @£150 (John Lewis - also @ amazon) to compliment the Sonos 1 we bought a week ago.

Soldato
please explain how it saves time?

so i'm about to walk into my bathroom. in order to do this I need to WALK PAST THE LIGHT SWITCH. then get into the bathroom. pull my phone out. find the app on my phone. wait for app to load. then find the right bulb i want to switch on. then set what colour and how much light i need. then turn it on. by this time i have wet myself as i couldn't find the toilet.
Another quality post from Psycho Sonny. Clearly not an intended use for them. Bedroom lights however, where the light switch is the opposite side of the room to my bed, that is a good idea.

Soldato
It's always exciting on Black Friday looking round trying to bag the best deals, so far I've got a SNES mini for £80 and an 8TB WD USB3 HDD for £135. It's like a Christmas you have to work for haha.

Caporegime
lol, who said anything about bright green. they can however reduce blue light as teh evening progresses, helping people to sleep better, something a huge portion of the population has issues with.

turning them on before your alarm which makes it so much easier to wake up. good luck doing that with your dimmer switch.

they're just motion sensors.

your dimmable dumb switches also cant adjust depending on the time of day, so if your old and get up to use the bathroom at night, they can dim the lights to stop you waking u fully for example.

there's so many things you can do with a smart home.

you may want to look harder

so motion sensor only and therefore if you were to go into living room and sit down and not move around the lights would go off? forcing you to possibly even get up and create motion in order for them to come on again?

i take it you have them on a timer so if it detects motion they stay on for say 5 minutes? wasting electricity as you pass from room to room when leaving the house or going from 1 place to another. however it is all automated so that is a plus.

basically what am i getting at is "what makes me say oh yes i need to spend £100 on a light bulb?". the blue light argument is something of late, was never an issue before. i'm not 100% convinced on it yet. i have no issues sleeping. put it this way i'm thinking of buying a few but the reasons why i'm looking at buying 1-2 of them haven't been mentioned so far. basically as a security deterrent. if motion detected outside the home late at night. light comes on type thing.

that is worth spending £100 a bulb on security. just for them to be dimmable, etc IMO isn't as i already have dimmer switches, etc as well as light switches.

what makes these bulbs worth spending £100 on when my 50p screwfix does the same job just not from an app.

Man of Honour
so motion sensor only and therefore if you were to go into living room and sit down and not move around the lights would go off? forcing you to possibly even get up and create motion in order for them to come on again?

i take it you have them on a timer so if it detects motion they stay on for say 5 minutes? wasting electricity as you pass from room to room when leaving the house or going from 1 place to another. however it is all automated so that is a plus.

basically what am i getting at is "what makes me say oh yes i need to spend £100 on a light bulb?". the blue light argument is something of late, was never an issue before. i'm not 100% convinced on it yet. i have no issues sleeping. put it this way i'm thinking of buying a few but the reasons why i'm looking at buying 1-2 of them haven't been mentioned so far. basically as a security deterrent. if motion detected outside the home late at night. light comes on type thing.

that is worth spending £100 a bulb on security. just for them to be dimmable, etc IMO isn't as i already have dimmer switches, etc as well as light switches.

what makes these bulbs worth spending £100 on when my 50p screwfix does the same job just not from an app.
just utter lol, perhaps you should go do some reading, before posting drivel. Such as they can have multiple ways to switch them on, and why suddenly change to a lounge. you dont have to use all methods in all areas. you really are being utterly stupid and on purpose.
bulbs aren't 50p anyway and these arent £100.
ad you dumb bulbs don't do the same thing do they. there's a difference between you not thinking its worthwhile and them doing the same job.
lol never an issue before, apart from the chronic levels of lack of sleep in modern popualtions. Just lol

Soldato
Anything can be subject to the argument "answer to a problem that never existed". Why have cars, horse and cart did the job. Why have a toaster, just use an open fire.

There are lots of things that are just convenient. The hue bulbs are handy for lots of things. Sleep schedules, nursery lights, holiday away modes that switch random lights on, IFTTT processes, managing all your lamps from one switch (on the wall).

They are expensive, that's true. But they're not an answer to a problem that doesn't exist. They're a convenience, as with lots of other things in your home.

Caporegime
Another quality post from Psycho Sonny. Clearly not an intended use for them. Bedroom lights however, where the light switch is the opposite side of the room to my bed, that is a good idea.

so you have 1 room where it's useful? and that could easily be solved by lamps, etc anyway which i already have in the bedroom.

Soldato
Well I've done it - I ordered the Logitech G29...

I didn't need it, but I ordered it... Martin Lewis would be disappointed :p

Caporegime
Anything can be subject to the argument "answer to a problem that never existed". Why have cars, horse and cart did the job. Why have a toaster, just use an open fire.

There are lots of things that are just convenient. The hue bulbs are handy for lots of things. Sleep schedules, nursery lights, holiday away modes that switch random lights on, IFTTT processes, managing all your lamps from one switch (on the wall).

They are expensive, that's true. But they're not an answer to a problem that doesn't exist. They're a convenience, as with lots of other things in your home.

i'm trying to see if I should drop £1K+ converting from LED to smart LED or just buy 1 or 2.

so far i'm not seeing a convincing enough argument to to drop £1K+ on them. when i walk into any room or even hallway i have to walk towards or past a light switch so the automated coming on and off albeit convenient isn't worth £1K+ in my book. Neither is being dimmable as you can do that with dimmer switches I already have in place.

The only smart thing for me is the automated security deterrent. Now that is smart. everything else not so much IMO. I'll wait 5-10 years then pick up these bulbs for like £5 each rather than £100 each.

Man of Honour
I'm amazed at some peoples attitudes towards smart homes, if they aren't suiting your requirements, fair enough (although I think they would if you really thought about it), but to say they are pointless is bizarre. I've invested a lot of money in to making my home a smart home and it's been worth every penny, some of the things I can do or not have to worry about now via automation rules, it's just brilliant

Man of Honour
To an extent, but I saw the value in them before I even had any smart home stuff or had my own home. It just makes total sense to me, with smartphones and how well technology talks to each other today, and basically everything having an internet connection, I just don't see why you wouldn't want to invest a little bit to make the most of your tech.

Caporegime
just utter lol, perhaps you should go do some reading, before posting drivel. Such as they can have multiple ways to switch them on, and why suddenly change to a lounge. you dont have to use all methods in all areas. you really are being utterly stupid and on purpose.
bulbs aren't 50p anyway and these arent £100.
ad you dumb bulbs don't do the same thing do they. there's a difference between you not thinking its worthwhile and them doing the same job.
lol never an issue before, apart from the chronic levels of lack of sleep in modern popualtions. Just lol

so you have motion sensors in some areas? as in hallways and bathrooms? in other rooms conventional switches?

basically walk me through a full set up. led bulbs are 50p from the likes of screwfix

https://www.screwfix.com/p/led-a60-b22-5-8w-2700k-15kh-pack1/5638k

you can even get GU10's for around £1 each

https://www.screwfix.com/p/led-gu10-4-7w-2700k-36d-15kh-pack8/7655k

basically what makes these bulbs worth £25-£100 each? the only decent reason so far that seems worth it is the security aspect of them. how much is a phillips GU10 hue enabled bulb as I would need about 30 of them? then i have all the normal and other types of bulbs to replace also.

Caporegime
I just this minute spent several thousand on an engagement ring. I am very excited but I also feel very weird as I have never spent anything close to this in my life :cool::eek::D

Bought a 3TB hard drive as well :D

Caporegime
I'm amazed at some peoples attitudes towards smart homes, if they aren't suiting your requirements, fair enough (although I think they would if you really thought about it), but to say they are pointless is bizarre. I've invested a lot of money in to making my home a smart home and it's been worth every penny, some of the things I can do or not have to worry about now via automation rules, it's just brilliant

I'm not saying they are pointless. I'm saying currently the cost is far too much for how useful they actually are.

If it came down to £1K in your pocket or automated lighting how many would choose automated lighting?

Back
Top Bottom