Sightseeing recommendations in Lanzarote

Soldato
Hi all

Wondering if anyone had been and would recommend any particular sites to see for 3 adults? Will be staying in the Playa Blanca area.

So far on the possible list is:
- Timanfaya park / volcanoes
- Cuevas los verdes (cave tour)
- Raven's volcano (just a free site and a nice walk it seems)
- Maybe a submarine safari? Seems popular albeit a bit expensive maybe for what it is.
- A walk around Marina Rubicon (we'll be near there anyway)

Checking out trip advisor of course, but good to know if anyone has any particular MUST SEE
recommendations :)

EDIT: Also probably a day trip to fuerteventura on the ferry, so anything worth seeing there too then shout :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
The Submarine Safari was okay, it would probably be better suited with children though imo, would highly recommend Timanfaya national park though.

There's also Teguise market which is hugely popular, I believe it's on Sundays, although I just thought it was a lot of similar stalls and a lot of knock off goods there was the odd decent stall.

Soldato
OP
The Submarine Safari was okay, it would probably be better suited with children though imo, would highly recommend Timanfaya national park though.

There's also Teguise market which is hugely popular, I believe it's on Sundays, although I just thought it was a lot of similar stalls and a lot of knock off goods there was the odd decent stall.
Thanks! Market looks like its worth checking out :)

How long would you say you would / could spend at Timanfaya?

Associate
There is a volcano you can go and visit that has a restaurant on it that cooks food in a large well like hole and it uses the scorching heat from deep in the ground from the volcano to cook the food. I can't remember its name but a quick Google will find it.

Edit: El Diablo restaurant

Soldato
Cesar Manrique's house is definitely worth a visit. I'm not arty by any means but really enjoyed it, it reminded me of a James bond bad guy's house!

Also up north on the east coast there's a little area where the volcanic rocks have formed a little pool protected from the waves, except for one bit where the sea comes up over the rocks and makes a waterfall into the pool.

If you have a car and want to go I'll put up a Google map put with the location pinned.

Soldato
OP
There is a volcano you can go and visit that has a restaurant on it that cooks food in a large well like hole and it uses the scorching heat from deep in the ground from the volcano to cook the food. I can't remember its name but a quick Google will find it.

Edit: El Diablo restaurant

Thanks! Added to the list, looks cool! :)
Cesar Manrique's house is definitely worth a visit. I'm not arty by any means but really enjoyed it, it reminded me of a James bond bad guy's house!

Also up north on the east coast there's a little area where the volcanic rocks have formed a little pool protected from the waves, except for one bit where the sea comes up over the rocks and makes a waterfall into the pool.

If you have a car and want to go I'll put up a Google map put with the location pinned.
Cool will do some research and maybe check that out. Think I spotted that house on Trip Advisor too.

Planning on hiring a car so please drop the maps link, appreciate it :)

Soldato
I loved Lanzarote when i went.. food was great, weather was nice as where the locals.. You won't be hard pressed to find something to do.

Associate
The El Diablo restaurant that cooks on the volcano is good for the experience but the food is a bit naff. We booked a volcano tour with a local company who took us up into the national park, saw the volcano and then went to a local ranch for a giant bbq and it was brilliant.

We always enjoy Rancho Texas when we are there, the animal shows during the day are good and you can go back in the evening time for a western themed evening with food, music, cowboy shows, line dancing etc. Not for everyone but it was a good laugh with a group. Plus they put buses on which collect and take you home to anywhere on the island.

If you are near Peurto Colero then you can hand feed fish in the harbour there in the evening time which I found really enjoyable, although it is a tiny place and there is not much else to do there. There is a proper aquarium in Costa Teguise which I enjoyed.

Soldato
Mirador and the house there is worth seeing. Not much going on at Orzola but it's ok for a little walk around.

See if you can get a hang gliding tandem while you're out there, amazing sights from the air. I've been flying over there a few times.

Associate
Go to the market at Marina Rubicon on a Wednesday or Saturday and have a go bartering with the lucky lucky men. The marina is absolutely stunning with some great places to eat.

I wasn't impressed with the volcano. They throw some straw into a hole in the ground and it catches fire and they pour water into a hole and you get a kind of steam explosion. Plus at the volcano and the restaurant you are standing in massive long queues shoulder to shoulder with other tourists, not my idea of fun.

Beaches: Playa Blanca has the nicest beaches along with beautiful places to eat along the promenade. Costa Teguise has a nice beach which has HUGE waves.

Canny little water-park called Aqualava in Playa Blanca. If you go there at around 3pm all the coach parties leave and you practically have the park to yourself.

Last time we were there about 3 months ago we hired a car and drove up the East Coast and stumbled upon some gorgeous little places off the tourist map. Puerto Calero is beautiful with nice restaurants. Thats where they have a submarine tour. Playa Quemada - absolutely nothing there apart from a stunning sea views, a restaurant and a cafe.

All the tourist books say 'El Golfo is a must'. It isn't, it's rubbish just a small green lake and 100's and 100's of other tourists.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the great recommendations all!

Hang Gliding sounds awesome fun! :D Expensive??

Luckily we're not far from the marina I don't think, so sounds like it should be great :D Looking forward to it.

Los Hervideros
Green Lagoon -El Golfo
Salinas de Janubio

You could do all 3 in one day - all close to playa blanca

Drive up into the mountains and go for a walk, explore PDC and Teguise. Head to the north of the island and explore the caves etc. Plenty on the island to keep you occupied.

Soldato

You can play spot the drowned African with the kids on the glass bottom boats; supposedly a common sight.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure if anyone does tandem flights out there but I'll try to find out... :)

+1 for Puerto Calero too. Very nice :)
Thanks!

Los Hervideros
Green Lagoon -El Golfo
Salinas de Janubio

You could do all 3 in one day - all close to playa blanca

Drive up into the mountains and go for a walk, explore PDC and Teguise. Head to the north of the island and explore the caves etc. Plenty on the island to keep you occupied.

There really does seem to be a good amount of stuff! Was a bit concerned just after booking that we'd get bored but that doesn't seem to be the case at all :)

Sgarrista
Commissario
Depending on your swimming/sea fun abilities try Playa de Famara. Spent many a day bodyboarding here :) Just be aware of the flags, the current on this beach can be ferocious.

Soldato
OP
Back
Top Bottom