Man sues Oxford for 'only' getting a 2:1...

Permabanned
You make a valid point, I'll have a think on it. Might drop the Alumni association a message asking their advice on how to correctly word it.

Edit: This suggests:-

So I'll change it to BSc (Hons). Interactive Media Development, Lancaster University, First Class.
Nothing wrong with that wording or previous wordings....

In interviews everyone is full of ****, both the interviewer and the interviewee....

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Nothing wrong with that wording or previous wordings....

In interviews everyone is full of ****, both the interviewer and the interviewee....

Haha, well if one doesn't embellish their CV they are doing it wrong ;)

It's fine, I'm used to the subtle attempts to denigrate or diminish my achievements. I shouldn't even rise to the bait.

Associate
One point though, my degree was awarded by Lancaster, not b&fc and each modules learning outcomes are dictated by Lancaster and the marking criteria is against those learning outcomes. My certificate makes no mention of b&fc but is plastered with Lancasters crest. The degree is a Lancaster degree, delivered by b&fc and they have a lot of leeway in how they deliver content (good thing too when considering thier intake). When I applied for a bae graduate scheme, it asked degree title, classification and awarding insituation - I put Lancaster.
What you choose to put on your CV is ultimately down to you. I wouldn’t look favourably on such an approach.

However, I'm perfectly aware my degree doesn't hold the same prestige as if I'd have actually attended Lancaster (although I did attend sporadically, mainly fie dissertation research and to use thier excellent library), although the actual study location has never come up as its not displayed on the cert. The statement "I have a first class BSc(Hons) from Lancaster" is true.
Presumably, if you were persuaded by your own argument, it wouldn’t matter which institution you mentioned on your cv. The standards at the University of Lancaster would be the same as those at Blackpool and Flyde College.

I suppose another point of discussion is if a degree delivered by a college is of the same academic standard as that delivered direct by the awarding institution (I'd argue yes).
A reasonably safe (but not perfect) way of judging the academic standards of a course is to look at the entry requirements. If the entry requirements for your course at Blackpool and Flyde College were the same as a comparable course at the University of Lancaster, I don’t think it would be unreasonable to assume the courses are of a similar academic level.

Best of luck with your studies!

Caporegime
This can’t be true, surely?

well that the claim was made is true, on the other hand whether the claim itself is true... who knows - this is what I was trying to highlight to the other poster - he does seem to exaggerate or frame things in a dubious way

I did a quick search and found the thread - starts around here:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/28920752/

it was stuff like this that I was getting at:

I start next year as a "normal" lecturer while I complete my Honours year, then they are putting me on a scholarship to do a PhD and once I graduate from that I get the senior lecturer role.

"scholarship" to do a PhD presumably refers to funding that most other PhD students will have too

being a "lecturer" while still an undergrad sounds dubious... I thought presumably more like a "tutor" (and perhaps at the college rather than Lancaster but he insisted it was as a Lecturer at Lancaster)

Associate
What you choose to put on your CV is ultimately down to you. I wouldn’t look favourably on such an approach.

Presumably, if you were persuaded by your own argument, it wouldn’t matter which institution you mentioned on your cv. The standards at the University of Lancaster would be the same as those at Blackpool and Flyde College.

He is correct though. His degree is from the university of Lancaster not Blackpool and Flyde College. When I started my academic path I studied at a further education college but was matriculated at a university.

A reasonably safe (but not perfect) way of judging the academic standards of a course is to look at the entry requirements. If the entry requirements for your course at Blackpool and Flyde College were the same as a comparable course at the University of Lancaster, I don’t think it would be unreasonable to assume the courses are of a similar academic level.

Best of luck with your studies!

Entry Requirements
Only students who have studied the Foundation Degree in Interactive Media Development Development at Blackpool and The Fylde College and have achieved a minimum of a pass will be considered for this top-up course.

If this is the course its a one year degree not taught at Lancaster accessed through a foundation course only run by Blackpool and Flyde College.

Anyway we shouldn't take up amigafan2003's time he is currently the vice principle of Oxford and has been tasked with evaluating and developing the UK's education system from the ground up.

I think Amiga is doing very well and a first anywhere is very impressive but I do think he gets a bit carried away where helping in class becomes 'lecturer' and having no intention of paying back student loans will never sit right with me.

Back
Top Bottom