Saab 9-3 Tid front end noise?

Associate
I've had my 2007 Saab 9-3 Tid since August and it's suffered with a weird mechanical 'whiring' sound in all that time.

It almost sounds like a worn baring, I contemplated it being the clutch but having done 4k miles there appears to be no other clutch related issues.

The mystery noise only happens when in gear (moving, not stationary), however dipping the clutch, rolling in neutral or when applying the brakes the noise vanishes (hence my original guess at clutch or flywheel).

I'd rather not get a garage to diagnose without a rough idea of the area of interest to keep cost down.

There is no loss of power
No overheating
Fuel efficiency isn't affected
No obvious adverse effects
No clutch slip

It's been driving me bloody crazy as you can hear (and feel it) all the time. Did wonder about the cambelt but no idea how a worn one manifests symptoms

Help!

Associate
OP
Yeah every gear, I just wish I had a better way to describe the noise but it reminds me of a worn bearing casing with grit in the bearings (such as on a skateboard for instance)
It's that kind of noise and feel.

Soldato
Could be the dual mass flywheel failing, especially if there is some vibration present with it.

Is the noise proportional to road speed or engine speed, or it is more constant?

Associate
OP
It's a constant, as in doesn't 'rotate' quicker as I accelerate or really change based on road speed.
Driving me mad, wondering if it could be belt related (bearing in a pulley or something).
I do get some engine vibration at about 1800 to 1900 if I mash my foot down, but that's about it. Although I hear that's quite common with these

Associate
OP
Can't imagine it's the release bearing as there are no other effects, no clutch slippage, selection issues etc. Gear box/change feels no different than when I got the car months ago.

Back
Top Bottom