The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
Just poured my final dram from my bottle of Talisker Distillers Edition. It's a great whisky, lots of fruit but a nice amount of salty smoke in there. An almost clove like finish. Delicious!

za0ujAx.png

@Glanza, I've got a bottle of that Yamazaki but I didn't really rate it so I've been avoiding it. May have to have a dram tonight to see if it's better than I remember.

Soldato
port ellen and brora distilleries are to be re-opened

great news if you like lightly peated malts and you have 10 or so years to wait!

and my latest purchases on my way back from Oban

the Benrinnes is a good all rounder and I have had it before, the Dailuanie is very sherried and amazingly smooth
the arran is a new one on me, finished in amerone casks and bottled at 50%, no age statement but reviewers reckon its about 9 years old after its second cask

37607018752_c035c935c3_b.jpg

Hi

Looking to buy my dad a nice Whisky, well and myself, interested in the Dailuaine, although the Benrinnes sounds interesting as well. If you had to rate one which do you prefer?
I will try both hopefully at some point, did I say this was a present!!:D

Thank's

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Hi

Looking to buy my dad a nice Whisky, well and myself, interested in the Dailuaine, although the Benrinnes sounds interesting as well. If you had to rate one which do you prefer?
I will try both hopefully at some point, did I say this was a present!!:D

Thank's

the Dailuaine...hands down, its amazing.

it so easy to fall into the trap of buying the same whiskies from the same supermarkets

but there is such a huge choice out there..and I am always pleased when a big group like Diageo let some of there many distilleries highlight their single malt production

Soldato
the Dailuaine...hands down, its amazing.

it so easy to fall into the trap of buying the same whiskies from the same supermarkets

but there is such a huge choice out there..and I am always pleased when a big group like Diageo let some of there many distilleries highlight their single malt production

Hi

Im pleased you said that, I went ahead and ordered it last night with another I want to try myself, Nikka from the barrel, its a blended that seems to get highly rated.

Thank's

Soldato
Been a while since I posted in here!

Went to buy a couple of whiskys last night. Settled fairly early on the Auchentoshan 12yr for myself, but Dad's took a while longer. Remembered this thread, and on the strength of the above and of the tasting notes, went ahead and dropped a bottle of Dailuaine 16yr in the basket too.

Soldato
Pick up a bottle of Glenmorangie midwinter night's dram just before Christmas and has gone down very well, not bad at all for £30. Also got some Highland Park Dragon Legend but haven't opened it yet but it hoping it is a peatier 12yo really. Then last night managed to get what I think was a bargain £22 for Glenlivet 12yo, unfortunately they only had 1 bottle left though. Another bottle of Oban 14 and that should be me good for a long time now!

Soldato
nice selection there, even if your not allowed the Dalmore till christmas its certainly something worth looking forward to - crazy layers of flavour and richness in it

It was opened Christmas day and well worth the wait.
But i have to say the Chivas Regal Ultis was marginally better than the Dalmore King Alexander III due to the nose. Close call though.

Also have a bottle of Glenrothes Elders Reserve which really appeals to my tastes.

Soldato
i got 4 bottles at duty free. Royal Brackla 12 yr old, really nice, Oban 14 - had before, lovely, Glen Garriagh master distillers reserve nice and cannot remember the other 2. also picked up the english chapter 14 which is matured in american oak and its really nice.

Soldato
My brother got me some Bulleit 95 rhy frontier whiskey for christmas. I'm not sure if its considered to be decent or just a cheapo whiskey for mixing, but i'm enjoying it neat with ice. Almost finished the bottle so going to look into trying similar whiskeys in future. Makes a change from ale.

Soldato
Well, after the Christmas break, Dad's bottle of Dailuaine was nearly polished off :D Such a lovely whisky.

I've just bought myself a bottle of Old Forester bourbon, in preparation for many Old Fashioneds for NYE! Lovely bourbon, and just as nice to drink straight or as part of a cocktail.

Soldato
I've just bought myself a bottle of Old Forester bourbon, in preparation for many Old Fashioneds for NYE! Lovely bourbon, and just as nice to drink straight or as part of a cocktail.
Is that anything like the whiskey i mentioned above do you know? I've got a real taste for it now so looking to try some different brands in the future.

Soldato
Is that anything like the whiskey i mentioned above do you know? I've got a real taste for it now so looking to try some different brands in the future.

Well, the Bulliet has been replaced by Old Forester in my cabinet; it's absolutely my go-to for drinking straight and for using in cocktails right now. And not too bad a price either. I'd certainly recommend it if you enjoyed the Bulliet. (EDIT: Just noticed you had gotten the rye version of Bulliet, I've never had that before. In terms of American whiskies, you can get bourbon (made with corn grain as the majority ingredient), or rye (made with rye grain as the majority ingredient). I'd still say give the Old Forester a crack however!)

On the more expensive side of things, I keep wanting to pull the trigger on a bottle of Michters, but they are quite a bit more!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm quite new to Whisky - bought my first bottle back in the summer (Glenmorangie, The Tayne) and quite liked it.
As a result a few bottles have been bought for me this Christmas - a Talisker Storm which I find a bit too smokey (any suggestions on how to drink and enjoy this?) and a bottle of Hudson Manhatten Rye which I will be trying soon.

Soldato
This might be borderline sacrilege in this thread but not worth a new one..

Any ideas for drinking JD other than the usual coke/ginger? Got a bottle for Christmas as I obviously wasn't clear enough in my desire for some single malt :rolleyes: :p

Soldato
I'd still say give the Old Forester a crack however!)

Thanks, I'll give it a try next I think.

Also speaking of more expensive whiskeys, I accidentalyl clicked high to low price on that whiskey site above and some of the prices are insane £70k for a bottle :eek:. I wonder if anyone has ever actually purchased one..

Soldato

Any ideas for drinking JD other than the usual coke/ginger? Got a bottle for Christmas as I obviously wasn't clear enough in my desire for some single malt :rolleyes: :p

Pour double shot of JD into a glass. Add ice and top up with coke/ginger.
Pour down sink.
Repeat until bottle is empty.

Buy single malt.

Soldato

I also got a bottle of JD something-something from a company I work with, been wondering the same thing :p I presume you can't use regular sparkling water as club soda? Quite fancy trying a scotch and soda..

Back
Top Bottom