Retro console and games thread

Man of Honour
From what I've read when researching CRT TV's is the general consensus is the to avoid the Sony Wega TV's which came in as wide-screen became popular.

I'd say most, if not all PS1 games were designed for 4:3 ratio TV's and the same goes for the Dreamcast.

PS2 probably has more support for wide-screen games though.

Man of Honour
37815316324_f7e4395eaa_k.jpg

Put this in the corner of my home office, since added my PS4, Atari XE Console (where the Amiga 600 is) and the printer has been moved and replaced with a Cub monitor! Thinking of adding another cabinet on top of this one as TV is a little low and I have LOADS of additional kit to add :D

Man of Honour
Another question re Sony CRT's. Which is the better TV for Playstation 1, 2 and Dreamcast gaming?
This sort
SP4ZL5R.jpg

or

8KKxWip.jpg

Binned my Sony CRT (22" 4:3) last weekend as I now have a Framemeister so can use all of my old consoles (subject to a few cable purchases in flight) with modern 1080p TV's. Bought a 32" Sony 1080p TV purely for consoles and have a monitor and other options for my array (over 40) vintage home computers.

Associate
So, I went to collect the first one...turns out flat screen CRT's seem weigh substantially more than standard curved screens (for some reason). That, and the fact that the picture above doesn't represent the size accurately made it a no go. The second one was gone before I had the opportunity. I then saw an XRGB-Mini on ebay yesterday...which for some bizarre reason sold for around £320....seems crazy when you can get them new for around £290!

After considering the options I think the CRT route is probably the most sensible taking into account all the pro's and con's...these older consoles were supposed to be played on older TV's so that's probably the cheapest and easiest route. I think I'm going to go down the 25" 16:9 CRT route....a good size, not inordinately heavy for one person, although shipping any ebay win will cost a bomb. Mid size CRT's seem really difficult to find these days.

Soldato
So, I went to collect the first one...turns out flat screen CRT's seem weigh substantially more than standard curved screens (for some reason). That, and the fact that the picture above doesn't represent the size accurately made it a no go. The second one was gone before I had the opportunity. I then saw an XRGB-Mini on ebay yesterday...which for some bizarre reason sold for around £320....seems crazy when you can get them new for around £290!

After considering the options I think the CRT route is probably the most sensible taking into account all the pro's and con's...these older consoles were supposed to be played on older TV's so that's probably the cheapest and easiest route. I think I'm going to go down the 25" 16:9 CRT route....a good size, not inordinately heavy for one person, although shipping any ebay win will cost a bomb. Mid size CRT's seem really difficult to find these days.

Gumtree is good for old TV's. My current Sony Triniton was free, the guy was getting rid and I picked it up.

A friend got a larger widescreen Sony Triniton and stand for £20.

Man of Honour
Personally I'd avoid a wide-screen CRT TV for retro games. Most games are 4:3 aspect and so you'll either stretch the image or have it with black side bars. So it'll look wrong or the extra screen size is wasted.

Soldato
I found my trinitron at British heart foundation. They had half price going on at the time and think it was just shy of £10. I remember there being like 4 Sony trinitron on the shelf, all varying sizes etc so was almost spoilt for choice

Soldato
Ive noticed CEX is getting back into retro again. Shops around the Midlands are stocking them. Some have come down in price over years.

DK64 £20 unboxed, it was going for £40 the last time I checked on ebay a few years back.
FF9, non Platinum edition £12. Was £30 three years ago on ebay.
Then you still have the crazies like Zelda Majora's Mask, £40 unboxed

Soldato
It's a shame they changed the postage policy to 1.50 per item rather than 2.50 for up to 10 items.

Can understand it though. Once I ordered like 8 ps2 games and they came split from about 5 different locations so must sting them a bit

Soldato
Ive noticed CEX is getting back into retro again. Shops around the Midlands are stocking them. Some have come down in price over years.

I often check my local CEX on my lunch break as I usually go for a walk and wander past. They have a little section for retro. Mostly overpriced or comparable to eBay but occasionally you can get a good deal. Very tempted to get Yoshi's Island on the SNES last week, they had it for £18 but i just didn't have the spare cash. I've noticed its since gone up in price.

Stew, snap up that Amiga! :D

Back
Top Bottom