THE 50K CHALLENGE: NEW MUSTANG ON THE WAY, BUT WOULD 50K BE BETTER SPENT ON ANOTHER MARQUE?

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Pretty much as the thread title, my last Mustang was somewhat of a bargain at 35k with all options, this new model is going to cost me just shy of 50k. Admittedly I won't feel the need to spend anywhere near as much as I did last time as the 2018 model is better out the box.

This thread is to see what my other options could be for around 50k, lets say 40-60k for arguments sake, absolutely no higher than 60k as intention is to pay cash.

The criteria

• Brand new or dealer supplied with as new warranty, so a 3yr old Porsche with OPC warranty would be fine
  • 400 plus horsepower, ideally closer to 500 and more is fine!
  • RWD or AWD is fine, no FWD!
  • Automatic, NO MANUALS!
  • A nice car to use daily, so no Lotus Exige or Caterham
  • Sound amazing! V8 or V10 ideally, but a six that sounds good is OK
  • Under 30,000 miles and less than 30 months old if not new and supplied with warranty

I am making this thread in case their is a car I've not consider, though the lure of the Mustang is big, those killer looks, rarity and gorgeous sounding V8 all in a brand new motor for 50k make it attractive. But I am aware and feel the 2018 will lose 10k in first year, not something I am smiling about but at the same time I cannot see much pulling me away from the Mustang, but never say never.

I am sure many will recommend a GTR and I do like them but don't really want to own one and apart from looks the little Golf I am driving now is kind of like a mini GTR.

The one car I have thought about is the Alfa and the name I cannot spell, but the M4 rival, its quick, rare and looks well not too much to my taste but I do like it, those are 50k now and seem to continue falling in price. Scary thing is do Alfa give extended warranties because afterall it is an Alfa. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
You're into the proper BMW M, Mercedes AMG & Audi RS cars here. New or nearly new with sub 10k miles on etc. Some of the new lease deals work out even better.

Then you have F Type, R8, Various Porsche etc.

Given your criteria and budget it's almost an open book.

Seriously, what would you prefer? No good asking us really at this budget as there is too much choice and it's really down to personal preference.

Personally, I would look at a C63(s) or M2.

Also £50k on a Mustang isn't so bad and it's not a negative being a Ford at this price in the same way a GT40 is a Ford and GTR a Nissan isn't a negative.

Associate
One car that springs to mind but would be at the top end at a smidge over £60k brand spanking new would be the Lexus RC-F. Approved used seem to be £40-£50k.

Soldato
Last F10 M5 Jahre, or wait 12 months and pick up a 6 to 12 month old F90 M5....

For me though, practicalities aside and if I was in a different place vehicle needs wise, 911, all day

Soldato
Also £50k on a Mustang isn't so bad and it's not a negative being a Ford at this price in the same way a GT40 is a Ford and GTR a Nissan isn't a negative.

I'm going to retract this in a way. The whole point of the Mustang was affordable muscle car motoring with performance to boot. It may be stupidly fast but it has an image crisis in its category now.

Nothing to do with it being a Ford but it's too much money for a Mustang when there are better looking and more classy motors in the same price bracket.

I can see a lot of buyers remorse with this Mustang going forward. The last variant pricing was much more palatable and aligned to what the car is about.

OcUK Staff
OP
One car that springs to mind but would be at the top end at a smidge over £60k brand spanking new would be the Lexus RC-F. Approved used seem to be £40-£50k.

I really do not like them and I view them as pretty much a Mustang with a up market interior, otherwise just seems a lesser car apart from interior and the looks I cannot get on with.

OcUK Staff
OP
You're into the proper BMW M, Mercedes AMG & Audi RS cars here. New or nearly new with sub 10k miles on etc. Some of the new lease deals work out even better.

Then you have F Type, R8, Various Porsche etc.

Given your criteria and budget it's almost an open book.

Seriously, what would you prefer? No good asking us really at this budget as there is too much choice and it's really down to personal preference.

Personally, I would look at a C63(s) or M2.

F-Type would have to be V8 and AWD, the RWD ones just can't handle the power. At which point I feel a 911 is superior car.

Love the M2, but I have my M3 and it really does not offer anything over that apart from easier to live with but as the M3 is a toy and the M2 so similar to it be a bit boring, though two of BMW's finest on the drive would look nice, especially long beach blue and topaz blue side by side.

I like the C63 but the 6.3l, but then over a Mustang I don't know.

R8 is very attractive, but I feel I'd want an S-Tronic which start 70 upwards, but the R8 is a car that meets criteria, only sticking point is warranty and they just seem kind of fragile.

Yeah the Ford badge does not bother me at all, its a Mustang one of the most iconic cars in the world, just like the GTR from Nissan, nothing wrong with them at all, I am not a badge snob.

OcUK Staff
OP
Last F10 M5 Jahre, or wait 12 months and pick up a 6 to 12 month old F90 M5....

For me though, practicalities aside and if I was in a different place vehicle needs wise, 911, all day

Great idea, I do love the new M5 and the ability to flick between RWD and AWD, well bravo BMW you just destroyed your competition. As M5's tend to depreciate like lead stones if I am not getting on with the Mustang 12 months into ownership I am sure used M5's will be appearing for 30k of the price if they drop how an M5 typically drops in value.

OcUK Staff
OP
Stick with the American muscle. Porsche boring and fugly. (Puts on flame suit)

Having owned both I know the positives of both. GT3 has everything I want, too expensive and I don't like the old ones but those are crazy expensive too lol.

A 991 GTS or 991 Turbo would be nice but I doubt those are anywhere near 60k.

If a GT4 came with PDK I'd probably stretch myself and get one, I love the way the GT4 looks but I don't want a manual.

Soldato
I don't tend to shop at this end of the market so my knowledge is limited and I'm not saying it's the best choice but an RS6 Avant would be my starting point. Probably in that lairy blue if I could find one.

Man of Honour
65k would just about get you into a brand new Quadrifoglio.

The Alfa is a damned pretty car and I'm yet to see a bad thing said about it other than the potential reliability problems

OcUK Staff
OP
65k would just about get you into a brand new Quadrifoglio.

The Alfa is a damned pretty car and I'm yet to see a bad thing said about it other than the potential reliability problems

Thats the Alfa I was on about, seem them for 50k 12 months old, so knowing they lose 15k, I'd just buy a lightly used one for 50k.

Permabanned
M4 Competition pack (the car the M4 should have been)
C63(s)

I didn’t much like the Mustang - both those cars have better engines and handling.

C63 torque never failed to put a grin on my face - think my next car will be one. M4 has the edge on control but C63 puts the kiddy grin on your face with the loud pedal and the time I took it to Bedford I lost count of the number of “no drifting” boards I got hehehe.

Some prefer the 6.2 na but I prefer the 4.0 twin turbo... higher rev limit and much much better gearbox. A ZF style unit that change so fast I though my it was dual clutch. The na hits the Rev limit too soon and is lazier to rev.

Shame you mandate auto because there are some fantastic manual cars in that price bracket.

Otherwise I’d recommend getting a better track car... radical preferably... you can get a second hand sr8 or very good newer sr3 for that money and then have something a bit softer for the road.

I think I’ve seen some Ultima GTRs in that price bracket.

Soldato
How much does a 600 hp Supra go for these days? They come in automatic. Bit older than 30 months though but it's the ultimate lolmobile for traffic light grand prix :D

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I think I have hit at least 1 of your criteria with this one:

Mercedes clicky

Or if that's not your cup of tea then turn your 50k cash into a financial deposit for something a little more... modern:

Lambo clicky

Thank me later

(I have no serious suggestions that others haven' already mentioned.)

Also, please change the thread title from the stupid look at me capital letters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom