• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Q&A SESSION WITH JAMES PRIOR FROM AMD / OcUK STREAMED TOMORROW, ASK QUESTIONS!

OcUK Staff
HI there

We've got a very SPECIAL GUEST joining us for a Q&A session this week on Friday 1st December LIVE on our Facebook page. James Prior from AMD will be in the hot seat ready to be grilled with questions from you guys and our team here at OcUK!

James works for AMD as a product manager based in Austin, Texas. His core responsibilities include evaluating business opportunities and defining as specific segment of the AMD client product portfolio through analysis and understanding of market trends, new technology, customer business issues and the competitive industry. He's also a bit of a sci-fi geek and a 3rd Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo so you don't have to limit your questions to PC components...

For anyone curious about what happens behind closed doors at AMD, this is your chance to find out! Post your questions and suggestions below and we’ll pick our favourite ones to ask!

Find out more about James Prior...
James’ Twitter: https://twitter.com/cavemanjim
James’ About: https://about.me/jamesprior

In short ask any question you wish to be asked and I shall try to make sure he answers as many as possible on the stream and for those who cannot watch on facebook I shall post the video here next week.

Soldato
Will the Raven Ridge APUs have Dual graphics options? Or has that idea been scrapped?

Willl we see Freesync TVs anytime soon?

Will it be replaced by or co exist with the Adapted sync included in the HDMI 2.1 spec?

Caporegime
Why have AMD wasted money, resources and time using HBM memory on gaming cards when NVidia are quite happy to use GDDR5X even on their Titan Xp.

AMD need to use HBM, as their card also has to do compute etc..., like Nvidias Tesla cards, which also use HBM, they are a one for all.

AMDs Vega, is a Nvidia GTX gaming card, and a Nvidia HPC Tesla card, in one.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Good stuff guys, keep the questions incoming, I shall interview him tomorrow and show him this thread and ask your questions. :)

Soldato
Intel isn't spilling the beans on using toothpaste under their heatspreaders for even their high end cpus. What is AMDs take on this seeing as they are still soldering their cpus.

Last edited:
Associate
My question's would be will we see AMD use the same vega package tech that they are using in the intel laptops in new graphics cards.
If AMD continue with HBM, have they found a way of making it cheaper to produce at scale as clearly there have been production and cost problems.

Last edited:
Soldato
Will Ryzen 2 in 2019 be compatible with the current motherboards or will people need to buy a motherboard with a new chipset for that??

Will FP16 seen more use in future games,and is AMD working on getting more PC games to use it??

What impact do you think technologies like HBCC,will have in managing the increasing VRAM requirements of modern games??

Will AMD work closer with companies like Bethesda and Blizzard to make further optimisations for certain older games like Fallout 4 and WoW with Ryzen(Fallout 4 being one of the most poorly optimised games for Ryzen, due to its use of the Creation engine and can draw down averages if used in reviews)?? I am only asking that since I know AMD works with Bethesda,and I have not seen much in the way of performance improvements in Fallout 4 on Ryzen since launch.

Soldato
Can you please ask James @ AMD if they can create something to help Threadripper Windows 7 x64 installations as its pretty much hit or miss depending on what Motherboard you chose if you can even get it working without the pci.sys BSOD before or during setup due to outdated Intel wifi drivers! Even slipstreaming a Win 7 image does not help if your mobo does not allow you to disable the Intel Bluetooth & Wifi adapter in the bios menu! Perhaps AMD could do something about this or create a downloadable solution for those of us who prefer Win 7 to Win 10!

Thanks

Associate
How much longevity are we likely to expect out of the AM4/TR4 (Ryzen/Threadripper) platform.?

Zen refresh on 12nm I believe wont have a change but moving down to 10/7nm are we likely to have a new socket and additional cost or can we expect to see a 4+ year socket like the AM3 (FX ) product line offered.

Back
Top Bottom