2001 Honda Insight Mk1 - The OG hybrid now joined by a CRZ

Soldato
Are there any other places to find these other than eBay/AT/gumtree?

Had a read over at IC and there seem to be a few in there also around the UK (in various state's of disrepair).

Did a few calcs today for giggles comparing running costs of one of these vs our non-lpg Murano. Shocking to say the least even when accounting for 4-5k commuting miles.

Soldato
OP
I changed the thread title a while back from something about my new all aluminium 2 seater honda, trying to fool people to thinking NSX :p

Insight central is the only real place I’ve seen extra ones for sale.

My 11 year old lad still prefers the insight to the CRZ!

l2I7zwG.jpg

Gets a new screen Thursday & I’m still keen to take it to 300k even if it means a once a week trip. Haha

Soldato
Haha was just looking at that pic on your PH thread. Both looking great!

Cheers, I'll just keep an eye out and wait. There are a few JDM ones on eBay, but they've been sitting at that place in Middleborough for a long time. Might consider a Jap CVT or just wait for a UK manual.

I'm growing quite accustomed to the CVT in the Murano and will have the DC2 back on the road next year, so a little insight CVT commuter hack might work. Will go do some research on the variations.

Soldato
I think the one sting with a import CVT is the PLG tax band that does wonders for the DC5 guys but means you end up with a non tax free insight. Both those cars on my drive cost £20 to tax :D

Ok cheers, will just keep my eye out for a manual UK car, should one ever turn up again with reasonable mileage on it.

Interesting little car that CRZ, it was incredibly expensive years ago, but seems like ok value today. Looks to be a nice pearl white also, looking forward to seeing pics and your views on it down the line.

Oh and our x2 Muranos cost precisely £1084 more a year to tax than both of those........... Time to sell one stat!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Came looking for this thread to see if the mucky blue Insight I was cruising with earlier on the M1 northbound was you - but it's a different reg. Always great to find another one on the road :D

Be interesting to see how you get on with the CRZ. I really like the IMA setup and I hope Honda have built on how it works.

Soldato
OP
Came looking for this thread to see if the mucky blue Insight I was cruising with earlier on the M1 northbound was you - but it's a different reg. Always great to find another one on the road :D

Be interesting to see how you get on with the CRZ. I really like the IMA setup and I hope Honda have built on how it works.

Just had a service guy here ask if I had one as he saw me a few weeks ago, I mentioned how I'm still waiting on screen etc. He's into his Hondas though so a good chat. He was surprised when I said there are a few here and how the other blue one is the one with a stoved in door. I panicked a few weeks go when I went to get in it and saw the door before I realised it wasn't mine.

Loving the CRZ as I don't feel so 'exposed' in it, either from the elements or abuse/pointing and it really it quite a fun little capable car. Much more grunty low end - gears help with that and does okay on a run. I was at 60mpg today steady though ballsall common after filling up but it does suffer more at speed and running around short trips than the Insight, the mass of that really shines.

Last tank was 48mpg with a horrid queue out the carpark so I think 50mpg commutes are easy just the extra 'jobs' will suck down the average.

Basically its a 40 litre tank getting only 360miles or so where as Insight easy does 500mile.

Soldato
OP
KoRwwtA.jpg

ARWOhFz.jpg

uIDNHER.jpg
ePbaAPl.jpg

Done nearly 2000miles now and had oil and filter changed, I do need to do spark plugs and gearbox oil soon. it’s got a slight blow on the upstream exhaust I think which is annoying as makes the engine a bit gruff. But nice having more power, better adjustment on the seats, including occasional use from the extra seats and the cabin is much better regulated in terms of climate in this weather along with heated mirrors!

Handling is brilliant, loads of turn in response and throttle adjustability. Brakes really good too, a little lacking in feel but really progressive bite as you give the pedal more effort. Just engine doesn’t quite sing as sweetly as it could, another 15bhp or 100kg less would have sat it in a much better place.

Hybrid side:
Autostop lasts no where near as long, guess they learned not to lean on the DcDc from the hybrid battery power to run 12V system too long. Also gonna try a clutch switch to fool the car, on the insight this stops IMA background activity. Ie filling the battery during cruise when I know I can use regen for a larger downhill or approaching roundabout.

Seats much nicer that I’ve cleaned them up, no longer grubby. Half way through one: AbPxJcZ.jpg

Also unfried egged the front lamps:
3osR8Bb.jpg
It comes down to essentially being about 30% heavier works to that sort of different on a run in mpg. ct8iIvD.jpg
Cheating a bit as this was after a refill. Nice that trip A resets on refuel automatically.

0oQbWd1.jpg

WssGHHA.jpg
4 commutes back to back.

However short runs really punish it as does the warm up (like a normal car I guess) the insight in that regard is incredible as it doesn’t really drop the average as much.

sKlwKbX.jpg

Insight has a new screen and it’s incredible having new glass. Wish I had it done sooner :p just need to get MOT but the 12V is dead after my code reader drained it, would like to get that ticking over. The range meaning I’m refuelling more often than every 7 days where as the insight I always filled up after football on a Monday.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good going for cold weather. You got a thread/pictures?

My CRZ has been good in the snow. Nice control with the motor for accel / regen and ECO really dulls the throttle so ideal.

Aye, quite impressed considering 2 of us in the car with 30kg of luggageand around 5 degrees ambient. Stuck to 70mph GPS and enjoyed the easy lean burn in the 50mph roadworks. It was a drive from down south back to Aberdeen up the M1, M6 then dualler all the way home.

Will get a thread up sometime.

Just installed the OBD Bluetooth plug and sorted the torque pro app layout to test tomorrow. It'll do for the time being when testing the rad block and hot air intake.

Good to hear, the CRZ has really grown on me, especially in Pearl White. These things are great in the snow, being easy to control and modulate the throttle.

Back
Top Bottom