Lamborghini Urus; Likey or No Likey?

Soldato
Ah yes, the old “I’m a great driver and can avoid accidents” phase of the argument... ;)

In a multi car incident being in the heavier vehicle means you’re exposed to less forces than the person in the other vehicle. Being higher up also means the smaller vehicle may well hit the much stronger chassis of your vehicle than doors and bonnet (for example) meaning less damage to the cockpit of your vehicle.

Take a more extreme example. Would you rather be in the pickup sat on top of the low slung sports car, or on the sports car that has found itself with the back axle of the pickup through its front windscreen? Which occupants are most likely to be injured in this scenario (I’ve seen this twice in two years as an FYI, so it’s not a particularly unusual scenario).

And does your estate have better brakes, acceleration and stability than the one in the OP? Probably not. All of them are very dependent on the specific vehicle being compared.

Either way statistically you ARE safer in an SUV/larger vehicle, and it’s just one of several reasons more people now prefer them over saloons. Saloons and estates are great mile munchers for those travelling back and forwards on long journeys (aka the rep in his repmobile), but for most they just aren’t as practical. People are voting with their feet, which is why saloon and estate sales have plummeted in the last decade.

So you'd rather be in a pickup:

Hitting a low slung sports car in a jacked up SUV could see the low car wedging under the SUV and tipping it over, especially if you collide at an angle. They won't squash the car because they are designed to be compatible with the crumble zones on normal sized cars.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't understand why there's a market out there for this. A four door Lambo (I think the concept was the Estoque?) looked brilliant and likely would be, but a jacked up Lambo that won't go off road and will be flawed on the road..
How is it flawed for the road?

I think it looks great.

Soldato
How is it flawed for the road?

I think it looks great.

Cars like these can have 'great handling for an SUV', but it'll be worse than the equivalent saloon/estate for the simple reason of a higher centre of gravity. The only plus side I can see is the driver being higher up to look down their nose at other motorists, as it'll be no good as an off-roader.

Caporegime

Hitting a low slung sports car in a jacked up SUV could see the low car wedging under the SUV and tipping it over, especially if you collide at an angle. They won't squash the car because they are designed to be compatible with the crumble zones on normal sized cars.

Was pretty much going to be my exact reply but you saved me all the effort!

Caporegime
And does your estate have better brakes, acceleration and stability than the one in the OP? Probably not. All of them are very dependent on the specific vehicle being compared.

Either way statistically you ARE safer in an SUV/larger vehicle, and it’s just one of several reasons more people now prefer them over saloons. Saloons and estates are great mile munchers for those travelling back and forwards on long journeys (aka the rep in his repmobile), but for most they just aren’t as practical. People are voting with their feet, which is why saloon and estate sales have plummeted in the last decade.

I never said my estate had better dynamics if you actually read what I said a like for like comparison will always see the estate better simply due to the laws of physics!

Also out of BMW,AUDI,MERC it seems their estates still outsell their SUV counterparts or at least equal footing.

Caporegime
Nope, if I’m paying £200k+ for a Lamborghini, then I want an utterly head turning badass car like the Aventador.

I’d rather pay a quarter of that and get a merc GLE if I really wanted a top SUV.

Associate
I don't think it's the worst looking of the supercar type SUV's but that dash is horrible, in a normal lamborghini it looks great but not on this car

Soldato
SUV's are on the same floorpan as estates in most cases how are they more safe because said floorpan is higher up? There is more to safety than taking an impact. Impact avoidance is just as important. An estate will have better brakes, acceleration and stability in this area like for like.

Because the floor becomes an additional load path for side intrusion rather than just the door.

Look at the Audi A8 with the 48V active suspension, lifts the car 80mm in 0.5 of sec if it detects a side impact event for this very reason.

Caporegime

It could yes, but in that instance occupants of both vehicles would probably be dead, although I’ll take my chances in the rolled over pickup than the vehicle that’s just had a two ton truck drive through it’s roof. Statistics says it’ll be safer.

You have the choice. Increase your chance of a death by rollover or increase your chance of death not in a rollover. The latter is statistically a bigger issue.

You can talk about moose tests all you like, or any other singlular style of crash for that matter. The point is as a whole they make up a minority of crashes. When everything is taken into account SUVs are generally safer than smaller vehicles. If you disagree go and argue it with all the motor safety boards that compile the data.

Caporegime
I never said my estate had better dynamics if you actually read what I said a like for like comparison will always see the estate better simply due to the laws of physics!

Also out of BMW,AUDI,MERC it seems their estates still outsell their SUV counterparts or at least equal footing.

As I mentioned before they seem to be the oddballs, perhaps because their SUVs are based on previous generation vehicles or perhaps because people buy them for a fast/performance saloon/estate?

But you’re right, it’s likely, all things being equal a saloon/estate is going to have better flat road handling dynamics. Add in potholes, speed bumps and other paraphernalia and the gap starts to narrow.

Choice between an SUV and a saloon round a paved track? Sure I’d take the saloon. In the real world, on public roads where I’m not pushing the car to the edge then I’ll take the SUV.

Soldato
I think it looks pretty good first attempt from them and yes I would consider one for a family car once the depreciation has done its work. Even if I were buying new in that class it would be a contender.

Back
Top Bottom