Advice on Painting a Bathroom

Soldato
Hi Guys

I need to repaint the walls in my bathroom. At present there is an existing coat of beige paint. How should I prepare the walls for repainting, do I need to sand them? Also, what type of paint is best to use? I'm thinking a semi-gloss that is specially formulated for bathrooms, that resists mould? Do I need an undercoat, or can I paint it straight on?

Thanks

Soldato
I would rub them down yes. Only to create some grip for the new paint, nothing major just mabye some 100 grit.
Second question depends on what paint you buy. B&Q do a 1 coat bathroom and kitchen paint as do many other people (although they alwayse require 2 coats if they're cheap), which is a semi gloss style paint (aka splash resistant)
If your covering a dark colour you might have needed an undercoat buy beige should cover easily unless your using something even lighter. A layer of white emulsion would suffice as a base.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If white then Zinsser Perma-White satin. Self-priming so no need to sand and no need for an undercoat.

Can be tinted if you don't want it white, but if you want a colour then it may be simpler to choose something else.

It's excellent stuff though.

Man of Honour
We had a terrible condensation problem in our bathroom, especially on the external walls. I researched a solution and used this. It exceeded my expectations, never any condensation even on the coldest day (like today). Comes in white but will also take a colour additive. Remove condensation and you don't have mould.

Associate
I've painted my bathroom (ceiling) in normal Delux silk white and it's still fine several years later with hot baths being run.

Soldato
We had a terrible condensation problem in our bathroom, especially on the external walls. I researched a solution and used this. It exceeded my expectations, never any condensation even on the coldest day (like today). Comes in white but will also take a colour additive. Remove condensation and you don't have mould.
Surely that is just masking a significant damp problem? Properley ventilated bathrooms shouldn't suffer from condensation in a way that requires special measures!

Man of Honour
Surely that is just masking a significant damp problem? Properley ventilated bathrooms shouldn't suffer from condensation in a way that requires special measures!
Not at all. The moisture in the air is transient as a result of someone taking a shower. This specially formulated paint prevents the moisture from forming condensation on the cold walls.

Soldato
Johnstones coverplus matt. Never had any issues.

Proper ventilation. We just open the top window for 10 mins after a shower.

Soldato
Decent extractor problem solved.
Tin of paint problem solved.

Our shower room gets pretty steamy, my missus seems to like 100 degree showers and when I'd painted with some trade magnolia as a stop gap when we moved in last year it lasted about 3 months before visible water marks were appearing and mould. I bought some Wickes mould resistant bathroom paint and a year later it still looks like the day it did when I painted.

Associate
I used normal emulsion in a small bathroom and it was fine for a year but during a period of heavy use (lodgers) it went completely moldy almost overnight!

needless to say I repainted in proper bathroom paint and its been fine ever since

Back
Top Bottom