Break out the extra large pot of T-Cut !

Soldato
The panel itself really isn't the problem even if it needs to be cut out / welded back in it'll still "only" come to £2-3k (assuming it's not repaired by Lexus)

Really does depend on whether it was hit low enough to damage either the boot floor or any of the corners / structure at the back (which it doesn't look like). It isn't likely to be pulled out as you can see the accordion effect at the panel join - that would never look right imo

Associate
At first I would have agreed with you, but as Fox mentioned, with a single piece rear quarter on a fairly low value car - I guess I will have to wait and see!

Ps. The impact is fairly close to the electrical/hybrid gubbins in the boot - would OcUk imagine it's worth popping by my Lexus dealer to check it's safe to keep driving - or would the (probably) wiser move be to just leave it on the drive until the assessor comes ?
Probably worth raising with the assessor, the last thing you want is to claim for the cosmetic damage then find out later down the line that the traction battery or cooling system is damaged. Having Lexus do their hybrid health check seems like a reasonable precaution, even if your insurance don't play ball (it's normally about £60).

Associate
At first I would have agreed with you, but as Fox mentioned, with a single piece rear quarter on a fairly low value car - I guess I will have to wait and see!

Ps. The impact is fairly close to the electrical/hybrid gubbins in the boot - would OcUk imagine it's worth popping by my Lexus dealer to check it's safe to keep driving - or would the (probably) wiser move be to just leave it on the drive until the assessor comes ?

Hello fellow Lexus owner,

Sorry to hear of your woes. I hope they don't write it off since there are precious few of these cars around in the first place, especially GS450h's.

I can't imagine the hybrid battery will have a problem since it is further forward than where the impact occurred. Also, if it was damaged then I would have thought the Check VSC warning would have appeared.

Man of Honour
OP
If they pay you out, ask how much it'll cost to buy it off them and fix it yourself. Win, win situation. :)

What engine you got in there? 2JZ-GTE? :D

2GR-FSE,
Its a downtuned version of the Toyota Crown engine , don't know exact figures but its a 260ish BHP 3.5 V6 with 130-ish BHP of Hybrid Assist. Has both direct and indirect injection, which is quite odd. One of the smoothest, quietest engines I have ever had the pleasure of though, and it certainly shifts.

If they do write it off, thats the plan - I know quite a few car bodywork types - who frankly are the only people I would trust to do it right.

To be honest - assuming there's nothing catastrophic underneath, I imagine they would repair that panel and repair/replace the bumper.

Do post back when you know! Always interesting to see what bodyshops can do.

Will do, I am curious myself.

The panel itself really isn't the problem even if it needs to be cut out / welded back in it'll still "only" come to £2-3k (assuming it's not repaired by Lexus)

Really does depend on whether it was hit low enough to damage either the boot floor or any of the corners / structure at the back (which it doesn't look like). It isn't likely to be pulled out as you can see the accordion effect at the panel join - that would never look right imo

This is my biggest fear really, If they did a very good repair I would be happy - but if its going to be 5kg of Filler and mismatched paint then I would rather it gets written off than go through the hassle of fighting a poor job.

Probably worth raising with the assessor, the last thing you want is to claim for the cosmetic damage then find out later down the line that the traction battery or cooling system is damaged. Having Lexus do their hybrid health check seems like a reasonable precaution, even if your insurance don't play ball (it's normally about £60).

I think, just for piece of mind - I will do this as soon as I hear back from my insurance (hopefully today).

Hello fellow Lexus owner,

Sorry to hear of your woes. I hope they don't write it off since there are precious few of these cars around in the first place, especially GS450h's.

I can't imagine the hybrid battery will have a problem since it is further forward than where the impact occurred. Also, if it was damaged then I would have thought the Check VSC warning would have appeared.

Especially few with Radar Cruise that don't have horrid beige interiors!

My main concern is that although its a long way behind the Traction Battery, a lot of the control wiring runs along above that wheel. The last thing I want is to get it repaired now, and then have a later failure with the wiring, inverter or even inside the battery due to the impact.

Thanks for the comments all, seem to reflect my current thinking - I suppose its just wait and see now - and hope that with Christmas coming up its all sorted before everyone bogs off for their holidays!

Associate
Next you are going to tell me it has a sunroof too? I wish mine had radar cruise, but as you say, definitely a rare option. Although, speaking as someone who has a cream interior in mine, I quite like it. :D

I suppose, like others have suggested, it is worth the £60ish to have Lexus give the hybrid system a once over, if for no other reason than peace of mind.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I had the same damage repaired on a 3k Ford Scorpio under my insurance, so I doubt it'd be a write off.

Soldato
i know it's a shock to the British.. but you don't actually have to even fix it if you don't want to. If the cost of fixing is too high then leave it, won't look the best but better than paying through the nose.

(Yes I know I'm British, no one gets their cars fixed here)

Caporegime
The process of replacing a rear quarter is quite involved and expensive, when my CC got hit the damage didn't look terrible from the outside (quite similar to yours) and that cost in excess of 7k to sort.

Unfortunately i've been hit again tonight and the car is looking suspiciously like a write-off to me (bumper / boot / rear quarter), tis the season...........

Soldato
i know it's a shock to the British.. but you don't actually have to even fix it if you don't want to. If the cost of fixing is too high then leave it, won't look the best but better than paying through the nose.

And what happens when he wants to sell it and it’s worth virtually nothing due to the damage? Always made me laugh when my French friends said the same as you and then complained when they couldn’t sell their cars for anything like their normal value.

Man of Honour
OP
Just a breif update, not that anything has changed.

My insurer refered me to a local bodyshop, fortunatley one of the best in the area, who came and assesed the car last Wednesday.

His list included the following,

- Rear Panel + Paint
- Bumper + Paint
- PDC Sensor + Re-Calibration
- Possibly Alloy Wheel
- Hub, Suspension Control Arms Possibly Driveshaft

Frankly the latter part of the list surprised me, but he seemed to think the wheel wasn't sitting correctly in the arch.

At this point I am still waiting for my Insurance Company, I called them yesterday to find they had a "technical glitch" so they hadn't received details from the repairer. But they promised to call with their descision "soon".

In the meantime they have shod me with a 2017 Mercedes E220D AMG-Line in Black as a hire car, and quite surprisingly to me - I hate it :) But at least I am mobile!

Man of Honour
OP

And what happens when he wants to sell it and it’s worth virtually nothing due to the damage? Always made me laugh when my French friends said the same as you and then complained when they couldn’t sell their cars for anything like their normal value.

Without sounding like a silver spoon twerp, my employment requires a certain veneer infront of my customers. I doubt the offer of taking a CEO to lunch would go down well when he goes to get in my "battlewagon" :)

Depends if you intend to run it into the ground or not

This car was supposed to be a long term, pampered love affair - I spent 8 weeks finding just the right one :(

A car like that, in good condition, wouldn’t usually be bought by someone who wants to do that. If you didn’t care about how your car looked you’d buy a Hyundai or something.

^ This.

Back
Top Bottom