Mahogany/Steel Computerdesk [SCRATCHBUILD] Dreamhack Summer Masters Winner

Associate
Hello,

I've been building this a while but wasn't confident enough to put it up on these forums before now.

The idea is to take that grand piano feeling to a pc. We'll be using fairly nice materials for this such as teak, mahogany, oxygen resistans steel and a lot of chromed parts. The build has been in the works for about 2 years with an estimated finish this spring. (currently doing bespoke cables). With that being said let's go over the parts and into the actual buildlog.

A massive shoutout to Mikael who's helped me with a lot of the woodwork. This build would not have been possible without your help

PC parts:

Motherboard: MSI BigBang Xpower 2, x 79 lga 2011¨
CPU: Intel i7-3930k @ 4.6Ghz
RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz
PSU: Corsair ax1500i
GPU(s): 2xGTX 980s overclocked to whatever I can reach:)
HDD/SSD: 2xWD red 6tb+3xV-Samsung 500gb. 2 in raid and 1 as bootdrive

Watercooling:

Radiators: 2xmonstah 560mm,1xalphacool 360mm
Pumps: Plexitop EKWB d5x2
Piping: Iodized copper
Reservoir: Custom Singularity Dual loop acrylic reservoir.
Fans: Various Noiseblocker fans 25 in total.

Sponsors:

a8uZtvP.jpg

PFOv5KNl.jpg
s8RZd9Kl.jpg

Lets start off then.

Solid drawing

eS4nU4Gl.jpg

Let's weld. Starting off with the basic shape. Table will be roughly 1800x780mm

5WSDNIDl.jpg

Radiator bay:

lvVYDEhl.jpg

Parts started to come in

qklWPuFl.jpg

After a few more hours I have room for my legs and some placement for the fans

http://i.imgur.com/UKIGtMkl.jpg

Space for knees

GkWKrdll.jpg

Gonna want some monitoring

ELmwNKyl.jpg

The wood was ordered like this. Huge chunks of birch. The will be shaped to be the outer panels of the chassi. It's a really dense wood and it's been dried for years properly before being used.
Quite heavy actually. These 3 parts weigh about 50kgs or about 110 pounds

B3W7Azjl.jpg

After using different bits and sanding roughly down ending at about 320 grit paper I managed to shape them to the shape I desired.

9DMHgPTl.jpg

NsLd5L0l.jpg

Playing around a bit with some of the parts. That's an ST8 Motherboard tray from a caselabs pc

CMO0NfKl.jpg

So I contacted Singularity Computers and he luckily agreed to make my design of a dual loop reservoir come to life. The plan was something like this

AiiBRx2l.png.jpg
Cqg5Z7Dl.png.jpg

Then I needed some legs. Used 60mm hollow steel pipe and some 40x40mm steel for the upper bars.

MCkyj8wl.jpg

And the mounting for the screenstand was lathed by some shaft steel

nf5LVMHl.jpg

QJ9YMHyl.jpg

Got ze legs in place

pvI5DK5l.jpg

And this will be the placement for the screenstand. Mirroring the design of the legs

hqvzLyhl.jpg

A very professional way of planning:)

v027dAll.jpg

Wouldn't be a proper desk build unless we had support for 3 screens

oV2iDkBl.jpg

We used some 12mm thick steel for this. It's incredibly overkill but it can handle whatever I decide to mount on it

lZuevmql.jpg

qKqEsIMl.jpg

mEx3SQ7l.jpg

The legs are connected to the frame with 5 x 8 mm bolts (oxygen resistant)

fAWwVEli.jpg

Trying to make the angles "talk to each other" if that makes sense:)

2fUVCSJl.jpg

Testmounting some stuff

giMUlKUl.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Continuation

Had to play around with the parts to see if they fitted properly. They did:)

ObzvsSzl.jpg

Big radiators but they will be completely hidden:)

mHR2uBul.jpg

Even though it's quite a tight fit

iYvJYCUl.jpg

All the major watercooling parts testfitted

w66VN4Gl.jpg

Playing around with the fan controller

bbjYPOel.jpg

Got my reservoir back and Singularity Computers also made a video of it. Very very happy with result. It's just fantastic craftsmanship.

S2sLZwxl.jpg

PYNKKeil.jpg

Le Video

And on to the interior wood. Now this is actually a pretty long process. But to roughly summarize it:
I had lying around some teak and mahogany plywood and it had been drying up since the mid 1990s so it was just too good to not use for this. I'm just in love with this stuff

sPp2amtl.jpg

2djHaqfl.jpg

Very tedious process of fitting each panel in individually as well as matching the lines perfectly

Bm0IWHRl.jpg

9cBsNSel.jpg

tWF4wZwl.jpg

After several hours all the panels fit.

6wzejaLl.jpg

Had to rework the starboard side a bit

5b6TNYTl.jpg

Got a new cover plasmacut from the local workshop

BciCXVll.jpg

Looking decent

coLkm2Al.jpg

Time to make the holes for the fans and PSU

aIHaeQRl.jpg

In order to cut this out a special tool had to be made.

di3L46fl.jpg

Lathed out room for the fans as well. Despite the desk being really big there's not any extra room to work with

uyPhxcNl.jpg

Happy with the result

5GtkkBvl.jpg

The starboard side

FIsyyHbl.jpg

Fused 3 panels on each side together to get them in and out of the table

QupOZ9Ol.jpg

Custom PSU mount that also fits 3 ssd's and 2 hdd's

8XP34N2l.jpg

FuXrIDkl.jpg

Made a bottom plate for the Reservoir also to mount it more easily

t5r8KyWl.jpg

Slowly but surely getting progress

zgSRkrHl.jpg

Got some parts back from paint:)

fg9f7s0l.jpg

Pxk9CCSl.jpg

v3OCakFl.jpg

R3hPwFsl.jpg
Time to mount the sidepanels. Had to make incredibly sturdy mounting for this since they weigh so much

5IoREmll.jpg

From the side

HQgJEqnl.jpg

The front:)

Y3G1KtEl.jpg

Started with the varnish. Ended up redoing all this but you'll see soon enough:)

A8HS84jl.jpg

Couldn't cut these at home due to the thickness so went to the local woodshop. They were rather confused when I said it's a pc:)

B9wLjKgl.jpg

J6ul1uYl.jpg

Angles worked out fine

pPN1Keyl.jpg

Starting to look better

Ww4fZl0l.jpg

wQZcplLl.jpg

Wanted to get a feel for how it will be to work at this thing

uDOvobtl.jpg

DX racer for scale

lO0w3Erl.jpg

Got the hardened glass that I ordered

MK3xj16l.jpg

Rounded corners same radius as the fans:)

5RtMkjfl.jpg

After some work with a CNC I got the sidepanels fixed to have openings for the fans and the fancontroller

Hbd4dcml.jpg

oxseSDql.jpg

Liking the look now

R3bLl2Ll.jpg

Was a bit worried before I testmounted this whether or not it would line up properly with the interior. Gladly it did

klsxLQXl.jpg

bICVIPsl.jpg

cpLKZ5Il.jpg

O586723l.jpg

NDdpXCEl.jpg

This is not the actual fancovers but wanted to get a feel for how it will look before I drew them up in CAD for the waterjet

ozfvNLAl.jpg

AlJ78LZl.jpg

From the inside

cmwcFVPl.jpg

U37rUAsl.jpg

The nightmare of the top part of the wood:) To get this to fit properly we had to get all the angles right and shave off half a millimeter at a time until it fit properly. This was a lot harder than I expected but it was worth it

7IQXmowl.jpg

grIGZuBl.jpg

It fits!:)

goT5Yhtl.jpg

c1eD0HMl.jpg

mpE8v1Zl.jpg

And now to the gluing. Using Marine glue here. Takes a long time to harden but it's incredibly strong. Also tapping her up so it doesn't move

pJlXALvl.jpg

65wvq3yl.jpg

OTOfnXUl.jpg

Gotta protect the painting

QEhxJAAl.jpg

Probably not the best method but it works:)

T65i97Ql.jpg

After a bit of manhandling it it's finally glued and won't be touched for 2 weeks

gQaMlHol.jpg

Just had to test with the glass on.

wrLdg2Xl.jpg

Associate
OP
The 2 weeks had passed and I put it back on the legs.

W8SNQtCl.jpg

SECjUA6l.jpg

QBd10jRl.jpg

Didn't mention it before but the outer shell is actually removable and will remain so if a fan breaks or something like that

tlW7gVZl.jpg

All alone in the corner:)

htodsYEl.jpg

Reinforced the on some points just to make sure

qGhBO4Bl.jpg

Time to get those holes needed done

amry9Dql.jpg

1 Radiator ventiolation hole

5KgAUHsl.jpg

and 2 holes + the mountstand hole

jNfLNRql.jpg

Getting closer

1sp2Igll.jpg

uVaR41Tl.jpg

pLFalJOl.jpg

That's not how the mountstand will sit. You'll see later

Du16ULEl.jpg

wlZ2uNVl.jpg

qHherZ1l.jpg

And the glass hole:)

nok2HKZl.jpg

Yeah, lets do key ignition. No real reason except it would be really cool:)

hBk4NSgl.jpg

2kWniqkl.jpg

Sits pretty well at it's place

x2HBPaPl.jpg

Trying to get some harmony with the design. Maybe you think that's jibberish but there's some thought put into this:)

3GH8oD5l.jpg

W2iWT47l.jpg

The glass is finally inside

O4SpR8vl.jpg

HDgfW9Ll.jpg

s8RZd9Kl.jpg

My friend testsitting it

OT7S0ewl.jpg

And the last cavity needed is for the USB, 6.3 mm audio and volume controls etc. Will be using a homemade potentiometer solution here and hiding the DAC/AMP inside the table

mBAECNtl.jpg

7S00ybcl.jpg

Had to continue filling up the glue until there was enough to go sanding

5YOQB83l.jpg

First round of sanding down to 320 grit paper. Will go down to about 2000 eventually

ET7WYuGl.jpg

Wasn't completely happy with the interior panels so I actually redid all of them with 8 layers of 2 component diamond mahogany varnish. It's resistant to heat and water so it will have a long life inside

LEhIPbNl.jpg

Looks a lot better now

1FQxdHFl.jpg

2h3zWNUl.jpg

JOsV5rHl.jpg

Had to make a solution for getting all of the pieces together so had some long screws that goes through the interior panel and the steel frame and end in the outer panel. These can't be seen unless you're actively looking for them

KpWeAzUl.jpg

n2dN6Ohl.jpg

Mounting solution for the back panel

4jNyX85l.jpg

Back panel fitted

nLnz1UQl.jpg

X18qjZJl.jpg

Ordered some more watercooling parts from Highflow

Cy49sJKl.jpg

This is what I'll use for audio. The sennheiser hd 650s and and ODAC amp/dac solution from Mayflower Electronics

VdfJchDl.jpg

Had to make custom hinges or we would never get the glass out easily. Will also install electric motors for this so you don't have to do anything else than push a button

P5JH8ACl.jpg

eCYdlJDl.jpg

JkVgac3l.jpg

JkVgac3l.jpg

Might as well mention this is just prototyping. The actual hinges will be made out of 6mm steel

BqmNtgsl.jpg

tFn6fObl.jpg

Instagram filters:) jk

tAxcF21l.jpg

HjlHYdMl.jpg

Made a short video

Started drawing out the design for the fansgrills. I'll get these chromed

uU7Wvk8l.png.jpg

Made some longer videos where I go through the build

Lathing out a volume knob

yYtRNINl.jpg

Playing around with the stains

NAdQVyhl.jpg

And a video update again

That's it for now will start cablework very soon!

Associate
OP
Let's do an update:)

My ODAC came home. I just love the sound of this thing. Paired up with my sennheiser hd 650s listening to Pink Floyd has never been this good:) What a beast this little thing is. Lathed a new volume button though since I prefer the feel of metal:)

O4MjxP9l.jpg

Got my CAD drawings watercut. Well they were supposed to be watercut but the machine was broken at the place so they plastmacut it. Also got my custom hinges watercut but you'll see those pictures later.

Gonna be a riddiculus amount of filing and sanding before I can send these to get chromed but we'll get there, fingers crossed.

Sry for the pictures but I cant place it inside yet but at least you get a feel for what I'm trying to achieve here

These are the sides (port-side specifically)

xucpJwNl.jpg

both

jLKilcWl.jpg

Big radiator grills. 566 mm's across

jCgkN86l.jpg

Actually lathed them in so you have a skirt of wood covering the first 4 mm's

sSvbsw3l.jpg

Nu8qji3l.jpg

Here's the stuff from Icemodz huge shoutout once again! Thank you for believing in this project

iNgrdRql.jpg

So finally getting some components in. They will go out and in quite a bit before it's all said and done but still feelss like a great milestone

Here's some overview shots.

Chassi only

XytW4hDl.jpg

PFOv5KNl.jpg

Body on

YhHGfgIl.jpg

Made some custom steel mounting pieces for the pumps. They've been powdercoated after that

hePeYtwl.jpg

The motherboard tray is also in it's natural habitat now. We made a cable hiding tool behind the motherboard tray and had a panel lasercut to make it look nice. The 2 holes are for some temp-monitoring

OAC603Ml.jpg

YjJtSRAl.jpg

SOhEZA6l.jpg

And on the starboard side there's the 360 rad, the ax1500i psu as well as the custom mounting bracket for the psu, harddrives and ssd's

eW7SkEyl.jpg

QK2xa4Ol.jpg

Had to level the reservoir. This was a bit of a headache but the solution was to cut a 3mm thick solid steelplate and have that as the reservoir mounting and at the same time leveling it perfectly.

74VPsMul.jpg

Bolts and bricks Cheesecake

pFIw71Hl.jpg

Decently happy with how the radiators are being hidden, but they are big. Hopefully the fangrills will clean up everything a bit

XvV9e6Il.jpg

That being said I can't wait to see these things in action

xIAm5jel.jpg

Redid the back holes and added these hexagon nuts. they look better

XytW4hDl.jpg

So I've been waiting for the watercut parts for a while and they finally arrived! There's a fair amount of sanding needed before I can send them to get chromed but I'm back on track now:)

v6l9Dsol.jpg

Temporary workbench:)

QOaN4eyl.jpg

Tested how they would look before they got screwed to the frame

i89bwwpl.jpg

Pretty painful as we had to lathe the entire inner wood in about 2 mm's to fit these

oBLzqodl.jpg

I will be updating more often again as I'm not waiting for parts now

5Hv667Cl.jpg

Test fitted some hard drives. I'll take away the stickers don't worry!

taOmeNhl.jpg

Gotta have key ignition. This solution is a bit overbuilt but when in rome:)

ek7cCOal.jpg

From underneath

JrGK2tjl.jpg

Gotta have an usb panel for the usb audio and especially the ODAC. So i cut some holes for the usb and then proceeded to measure out. Had some welding help from michael again. Thank you:)

eP8T9skl.jpg

StLMFMJl.jpg

I0pxvhfl.jpg

This oughtta be strong enough

w2b12Zql.jpg

Anyone know if I voided the varanty here?

Yl5tt9gl.jpg

b6p9HKtl.jpg

NPoOrLQl.jpg

c0efDTBl.jpg

Will get this plate engraved with some stuff. You'll see later :)

0EkRIHpl.jpg

Well I can connect my headphones now but there's not a lot of sound yet:D

MWhdPSil.jpg

There's some plans for decent audio outside the headphones too if anyone was worried. Gonna have to change the membranes on these and change the shells but they pack a hefty sound. More on this later too

RDnsQWfl.jpg

So after a lot of work which you will see later the table is finally getting the stain and varnish it deserves. I had to move it in order to get it painted because I'll be using some fairly toxic stuff.
That being said here's the painting rig and the color which I'll be going for.

RiGxN6El.jpg

Underneath is a pingboll table frame:)

08hQkval.jpg

Here's the color. However it will be really shiny and not "muddy" as in the photo
eU0KW57.jpg

Well long time no seen but a lot has been done!:)

Finally it's stained to the mahogany colour I wanted varnishing stars the following monday. I should have the table back by friday in it's full gloss and glory.The finish I wanted for this really pushed the amount of work.

For the ones interested here's how the wood has been prepared,

Dried inside for 2 years. several years before before taking it inside.
Then filed down to the desired shape.
Then sandpaper. Going through the different coursnesses. 120 grit 2 times (every step is dried in between with azetone), 240 grit 2 times, 320 grit 2 times, 400 grit 2 times, 500 grit 3 times, 600 grit 2 times and finally 800 grit 2 times.

After the first coat of varnish I'll sand it to 1200 grit and then to 2000 grit before the next coat and repeating this until it has 4-5 layers of varnish.

Mixing 2 different industrial strenght stains.

3GyEIIGl.jpg

Made the bottom of the corners a bit tidier

o4rQjtpl.jpg

Let's get staining!

lK53pzul.jpg
e9L3wKGl.jpg

The back panel

l6OylEBl.jpg

ta19l35l.jpg

The rest of the table

KS4ED5Bl.jpg

IuEvPuEl.jpg

lKoBX7hl.jpg

9mUeyyOl.jpg

bapgBTAl.jpg

onz9fOZl.jpg

I went through a riddiculus amount of rags and asetone. As well as an insane amount of sandpaper.

29eaCiVl.jpg

Associate
OP
Sneakpeak of what's been happening. Big update coming soon:)

12 layers of varnish on. I'll get this sucker waxed up and then we'll get a better camera but for now just a few pictures indicating that I'm still alive^^
uXSnC99l.jpg

Chromeprepping at 2500 grit sandpaper

KONt8FAl.jpg

Mobile phone pick, it's really hard to capture the gloss. I'll get back to you shortly:)
MiqVGT3l.jpg

C9CbSV6l.jpg

Started with some cablework:)

R4trDs5l.jpg

My living room is a mess... :)

GRYaPSZl.jpg

Some radiator fan connectors being born

w5mbPi9l.jpg

And yeah btw I'll make a keyboard (after the table is done) using ebenholtz and moosehorn like an old timey grand piano.
That black piece is the wood from madagaskar

99Nmmojl.jpg

Well hello again :)

I'll start off with some pictures of the table after the varnishing (yet to get nanowax treatment) and if you scroll further down you'll see some of the cablework.

nfULwWgl.jpg
U8eZ7Rll.jpg
nevermind the dust:) It will dissapear

lk1fGP9l.jpg

hYd5wcYl.jpg

Ex8kr8Cl.jpg

QuDB00ql.jpg
NiHITh0l.jpg

Now onto the cablework. Thanks again to ICEMODZ for chipping in and helping me out on this!

First things first I had to get everything out. My living room once again is a mess:(

GGu6Zrgl.jpg

Just did a bunch of y-splitters for these cables and I run them on 2 different knobs on the fan controller

hn35Tdcl.jpg

Might be a tip for anyone new to this to grab one of these so you make sure you get it right without blowing any components up

9xlD4a3l.jpg

Then I proceeded to hide pretty much every fan cable in the actual frame.
2IWzhU8l.jpg

Sneaky sneaky cable management:)

QFY1MGBl.jpg

Had to heatshrink all the y-splitters

1NFV9zpl.jpg

Pmht7Wpl.jpg

The 360 radiator fans did get sleeved however because they will be somewhat visible

YyeUuQal.jpg

Testrunning everything. Worked:)

XygBHhpl.jpg

This is just a temporary solution because everything will keep going in and out

yopkoNal.jpg

For those wondering the fan cables from the back radiators (the 560 monstahs) will be run underneath the side fans and completely hidden

ESEmrMel.jpg

My first sleeved cable:) this one will run the fan controller

qU7VmMUl.jpg

And this is what comes out after the wood comes back down

bfXla76l.jpg

Last edited: 8 Oct 2017

Well happy halloween, I dressed up as usual to my "homeless elf" costume and did some cablework:) This is pretty time consuming stuff I'm learning as I go but after 2 attempts on my harddrive cable this is what I ended up with

hwcZ94cl.jpg

B6atro6l.jpg

And by some miracle it worked

9fSyumzl.jpg

Going off the rails here a little bit but I wanted something that suited the table where I could rest my headphones when I'm not using them so I made a custom headphone stand.

Plasmacut some stainless 4mm thick circular plates and lathed and treaded some 30 mm stainless shaftsteel. Then proceeded to make some holes and this is what the mounting device looks like.

And yeah It will get the same Birch style wood with 12 layers of varnish:D That being said I sent the wood off for some final treatment so it doesn't get scratched by the heavy use. So you will see it all together on friday evening but heres the metal at least :)

4WYbJQCl.jpg

H5MuPRql.jpg '
AQU762dl.jpg

Here's the finished headphone stand. It became a little bit overbuilt but I like it. Got 10 or 11 layers of varnish cant remember..

Pictures :)

02bw7Rxl.jpg

FHU40zWl.jpg

7qyNUxul.jpg

YzX23LDl.jpg

d1GuNy1l.jpg

O5GYCc5l.jpg

w6zI1Ifl.jpg

5VbpOkhl.jpg

lHAvGWFl.jpg

Soon I got a complete office:)

60vjiCLl.jpg

Associate
OP
Well finally prepped for chrome:) Or technically nickel-plating. Think is went a bit overkill but these are the hinges that keep up the glass:)
They're covered in oil atm to not get surface rust so it looks a bit weird but you will get more pictures as they're all nickelplated and shiny

xuL5SNhl.jpg
LAvYurml.jpg

Soldato
Would it not have been easier to buy a Lian li of OCuk

I jest

That is some phenomenal workmanship there mate. Stunning, Simply stunning

Associate
OP
First of all thank you for the nice comments!

Ye for those who missed it the screen has been decided. I'm gonna get myself a 49 inch samsung. Drew up a size comparison as well. Unfortunately I will have to remake the whole monitor stand but I got an idea for it which you will see in due time.

MbVo2NPl.jpg

mqGRXPUl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom