What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
No, I haven't seen The Room. I don't think any prior knowledge is necessary, as The Disaster Artist does a good enough job explaining what the film is about, and how bad it is. It shows some comparison shots at the end, which show how the documentary's representation of the scenes actually play out in The Room.

To satisfy my curiosity, I do now want to see The Room, but deep down, know there must be better things to do with my time.

The Room is amazing....I've seen it maybe twenty times...

Dunkirk, what a load of ****.

I honestly felt no tension when watching it, I didn’t care about any of the soldiers.

I don’t have a top 3, my favourite is saving private Ryan closely followed by the war series Band of Brothers.

Well after an easyrider probe we can now get closer to why you didn't like it...your latter point certainly improves on your former wafer thin response to the film.

Nolans idea was to put the viewer in the place of the characters in the film...No backstory of who or why...all we know is where.

In a way the camera becomes a character, it casts you into what’s happening as directly as possible...From land and sea an air POV all from overlapping timeframes...

Nolan wanted you to become part of it all...So no back stories.... No explanations of how the characters got to where they are. They’re just there.

The emotional responce doesn't come from the rooting of the characters...which is quite frankly astonishing. It comes from your forced dislocation of the unfolding situation. But this dislocation becomes fear and dread and anxiety and hope and death.

Do you use this irritating style of punctuation because you don't know any better, or is it that you think it adds gravitas to your points?

Nope....

This was part of my problem. The film was engaging and very well shot. The cinematography was excellent, I just never felt involved or part of the story which is what all great films do. They draw you into the story. Dunkirk never did that for me.

That was not Nolans intention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Nolan wanted you to become part of it all...So no back stories.... No explanations of how the characters got to where they are. They’re just there.

The emotional responce doesn't come from the rooting of the characters...which is quite frankly astonishing. It comes from your forced dislocation of the unfolding situation. But this dislocation becomes fear and dread and anxiety and hope and death.

That's not what happens though. We get the overarching back-story in the form of text at the beginning of the film, but with no prior knowledge of what these soldiers have experienced, nor the incoming threat, there's no sense of connection to the characters or feelings of jeopardy or dread. We get an ominous and minimalistic score to convey this but there's never any reason to care about the majority of the characters as they're never really developed. The only characters that get any real depth are the civilian boat crew, as we see their journey from the start and learn about their history. Empathy with non-combatants is more easy as they share the same experience of the war as we do - as in not being part of it.

Nolan doesn't give me any reason to care about the two dimensional characters and without it there's no tension or fear. It's atmospheric but shallow.

Caporegime
Associate
Blade of the Immortal - 6/10
Real cheezy in some parts, and great action in others. I really wish it was a lot better.

The Disaster Artist - 6.5/10
Never seen The Room or read the making off but i expected more comedy.

Caporegime
That's not what happens though. We get the overarching back-story in the form of text at the beginning of the film, but with no prior knowledge of what these soldiers have experienced, nor the incoming threat, there's no sense of connection to the characters or feelings of jeopardy or dread. We get an ominous and minimalistic score to convey this but there's never any reason to care about the majority of the characters as they're never really developed. The only characters that get any real depth are the civilian boat crew, as we see their journey from the start and learn about their history. Empathy with non-combatants is more easy as they share the same experience of the war as we do - as in not being part of it.

Nolan doesn't give me any reason to care about the two dimensional characters and without it there's no tension or fear. It's atmospheric but shallow.

This. Like I said before it's kind of clinical with little warmth. There's no real reason to care about the main characters

Soldato
America Made - 4/10 - I watched a butchered/edited version on a plane so this might be worthless compared to the cinema version but, as a "fan" of the Narco era and history I already knew the Barry Seal story quite well and this film takes quite a few liberties with the events in his, frankly wonderfully strange/charmed life, which may make some "story-telling" sense but spoilt the film a bit for me. Tom Cruise played the same guy he always does and doesn't stretch himself in the role so he's likeable and watchable but he doesn't inhabit the character at all, there was some strange direction choices by showing him filming himself on VCR in the mid 80's which takes any element of danger out of his story in the early 80's for those who don't know it, and the story of his home life (other than a very brief section with his kids at the start and a 30sec clip at a softball game) is more about hiding money than what his family went through. Nor does it really show much about how he actually did the amazingly difficult things he did, or talk about whether what he did was good or bad for the US/Contras/Narcos etc, although there is a lot of heavy cynicism aimed at the ineptitude of the US Government through, more so after he starts to work for them as an informant.

I suppose it's not a "bad" film at all, it just felt like it's lacking more "real life" dirt and reality and instead goes for a shiney and polished made up version of events which bare only a slight resemblance to real life, even down to the look of the very heavily saturated picture quality etc.

Soldato
Right...so low budget films cannot be any good?

Now make more sense and offer an opinion with some meaning. Dunkirk was far from low budget.

I think the film maybe just went over your head. Many people didn't get it tbh.:p

Dunkirk is pure cinema. 10/10

I never said low budget films can’t be good?

Film over my head. Nope. I fully understand the true story thanks.

Just because you’ve clearly got a hard on for Dunkirk (10/10) does not mean everybody else enjoys it to the same level.

Associate
Wind River (9/10) - gripping, murder mystery with a couple of great WTF moments.

A Ghost Story (7/10) - certainly a bold move to take Oscar-winner Casey Affleck and cover him in a bed sheet for most of the film. Definitely an affecting take on death and grieving but veered into "too arty" in places for me. I dont need to see someone eat a pie for 3 and a half minutes. Very original and worth a watch though.

In Bruges (10/10) - haven't seen this in a while but still holds up with great performances and funny lines.

Soldato
Wind River (9/10) - gripping, murder mystery with a couple of great WTF moments.

A Ghost Story (7/10) - certainly a bold move to take Oscar-winner Casey Affleck and cover him in a bed sheet for most of the film. Definitely an affecting take on death and grieving but veered into "too arty" in places for me. I dont need to see someone eat a pie for 3 and a half minutes. Very original and worth a watch though.

In Bruges (10/10) - haven't seen this in a while but still holds up with great performances and funny lines.

I saw A Ghost Story recently. That pie scene was excruciating, went on forever. I'm pretty sure it was more like 6 minutes. Anyway, I did actually quite like the film apart from that scene.

Soldato
Birdemic - Shock and Terror (1/10 film, 10/10 hilarity)

God this film is bad but made me laugh. Was building some Lego whilst watching otherwise, don't think I would have lasted :D

Soldato
The Hitman's Bodyguard - 9.5/10.

Almost everything Atomic Blonde wasn't. Fast paced, reasonably coherent (if OTT) story. Lots of one liners and repartee between the man protagonists, car and boat chases etc. etc. Imagine Dead Man Running meets XXX and the newer Fast & Furious.

Caporegime
The Hatton Garden Job - British movie about the OAP raid a few years back with Larry Lamb and Phil Daniels. A pretty poor film. Acting was incredulously bad, espcecially from Phil Daniels who I have never rated as an actor anyway despite his cult film appearances and Joely Richardson’s portrayal of a Hungarian gangster boss was so bad it was funny. Best bit about her performance was her cleavage. Sorry. This was just very poor all round and for some reason introduced a main character who is a total work of fiction. Looking forward much more to the upcoming film about it starring Ray Winstone and Michael Caine. 4/10.

Road to Perdition - ah!, now we’re back on track. Never seen this before, I don’t know how. Really enjoyed this. Tom Hanks is solid without ever being amazing. Never though he would suit the role of a mob enforcer, but he pulled it off well and Paul Newman’s performance as a conflicted mob boss was utterly fantastic. Nicely paced with some well placed off screen violence. Very little real dialogue, but it suited the film imo. The whole thing was topped by a great sinister turn by Jude Law as a photography obsessed assassin. An easy 8/10 for me.

Caporegime
A few over the weekend...

Groundhog Day - Brilliant. Still holds up.
Ice Age - Crap, but my daughter enjoyed it. She's 8, what does she know.
The Untouchables - Pretty good. Fairly simple story, but it works.

Caporegime
From the weekend :-

Dunkirk
....while I enjoyed some of the simplified individual stories in it and maybe some of the cinematography, it was a little bit of style over substance for me. The lack of any Germans didn't bother me, the useless aiming by our pilots or indeed any real feeling of dread for the supposed 400,000 that were cornered. The pristine beach and the lovely straight lines of soldiers waiting for the ships did grate somewhat though. These and other stylized elements diluted the tension for me, to the point of feeling as if there wasn't any sort of danger outside of each of the individual micro-stories at all. I didn't expect or indeed want to see an all guns blazing war film, but equally I didn't expect a nice sunny day out on the beach waiting for a lift home. Different - 6/10.

Churchill...Reasonable performances but the script, history and portrail of the great man as a senile loon were completely off. Not good - 3/10.

Kingsman 2...last and certainly least. There's cheese and then there's a 70s fondue with a script to match. Not a patch on the first one. Cheesy feet - 2/10.

Last edited:
Caporegime
From the weekend :-

Dunkirk
....while I enjoyed some of the simplified individual stories in it and maybe some of the cinematography, it was a little bit of style over substance for me. The lack of any Germans didn't bother me, the useless aiming by our pilots or indeed any real feeling of dread for the supposed 400,000 that were cornered. The pristine beach and the lovely straight lines of soldiers waiting for the ships did grate somewhat though. These and other stylized elements diluted the tension for me, to the point of feeling as if there wasn't any sort of danger outside of each of the individual micro-stories at all. I didn't expect or indeed want to see an all guns blazing war film, but equally I didn't expect a nice sunny day out on the beach waiting for a lift home. Different - 6/10.

Churchill...Reasonable performances but the script, history and portrail of the great man as a senile loon were completely off. Not good - 3/10.

Kingsman 2...last and certainly least. There's cheese and then there's a 70s fondue with a script to match. Not a patch on the first one. Cheesy feet - 2/10.

They were lined up like so though. There was no where for them to hide. Its a story about soldiers, waiting on a beach to go home.....

Looking at old pictures it's how they were lined up. It's how the military line up. Straight lines, orderly.

Back
Top Bottom