Ikea TRÅDFRI and Amazon Echo Plus

Associate
Just looking for some advise, I'm looking to get our house kitted out in the Ikea TRÅDFRI smart lights (Hues a bit expensive).

Looking at the Ikea website, it looks like you need their Gateway to control the devices. However I noticed that they had compatibility with Alexa. So I was wondering if the gateway is optional if you have an Amazon Echo Plus?

I don't really like the idea of having to have multiple gateway type devices for each type of smart device, if I can use one master device to control them all instead.

Thanks

Soldato
Yes, you can directly control Trådfri bulbs with Echo Plus, I've set mine up like this.

Only the most recent firmware is compatible though and you do need the gateway to upgrade the firmware of older bulbs. I'm not aware of any way to tell the difference from the box but they were made compatible around October so most stock should be new by now.

Be aware though, I don't think you can get coloured bulbs on their own yet, only the ones that do different warmths of white.

Soldato
Only way to get coloured bulbs at the moment is to buy them with the remote, and normally need to ask for them as they are kept hidden, I am not sure they are even on the UK site yet

Soldato
That's a shame, I'd like some sort of lighting that's controllable with a Harmony Remote (ideally not an app on a device, just a remote...Though setting up on an app would be fine) without having to spend a fortune.

Man of Honour
Our tradfri is annoying the hell out of me.

Alexa app on other halfs S9 see the bulbs fine.
All other devices? Including 2 android tablets, 3 android phones, multiple echo devices..... Not a chance.

Most of the android devices just come up with 'unable to contact amazon'

Reset everything back to factory and did a completely new setup - still unable to use the alexa app or echo devices.

Back
Top Bottom