Draining Heating System

OcUK Staff
Hi guys,

I will be honest, I know absolutely nothing about this subject. My mum is selling her house and the heating system does not work. The estate agent advised that it would be best for the heating system to be drained.

Is this something my Mum can do? Or is it best for her to pay someone to do it, and how much would this cost?

Soldato
I'd advise you to get it drained also! If the heating doesn't work, then the house really is at risk from freezing and causing damage. Get a plumber in to decommission the plumbing in the house.

Associate
It's easy enough to do yourself if all you want to do is drain it.

Firstly turn off the boiler and close the hot water pipe via the tap.

There should be a drainage point at a low point in the heaing system (mine is below the boiler in the garage) connect a hose to this to direct the water to a drain.

Open the drainage tap then go and open all of the valves on the radiators.

When water stops coming out of the drainage point turn close it back up via the tap.

Soldato
I also recently found out that on my combi boiler there's actually a drainage valve on the back of it.

It lets the water out via the overflow pipe (might lead outside, might go into your condenser pipe)

Worth a look in the manual online.

Make sure you turn everything off (i.e. the boiler) before you do this though.

Soldato
You will also need to drain the cold water pipes too, including those going to the toilets etc.

You may want to clear then seal the toilet(s) and U bends.

Back
Top Bottom