Sportcontact 6's - do they wear out quickly?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I have this feeling I'm just going think **** it and buy a set of PS4S's

Getting so bored of looking for tyres, and they are the only perfect ones:mad::mad:

Probably best option. I've had two sets of rear CSC6s and one set of fronts, and yes they do wear quicker than the UHP Michelin counterpart. So now have gone for PS4S.

CSC6 fronts got me 18,625 miles before I fitted PS4S
1st set of CSC6 rears got me 10,700 miles before fitting the 2nd set of CSC6.

The 2nd set of CSC6 are now close to the legal limit and have done 13,300 miles.

On the other hand, I got 20k miles from the PSS on the rear to give you an idea of how much of a wear difference there is between Michelin vs Continental, and the CSC6 is supposed to be the longest wearing Conti UHP tyre yet!

The PS4S should last even longer than the PSS by all accounts. It does cost more per corner, but you get a lot more mileage out of them. Michelin claim 7+ months of extra life compared to the competition. I don't have any trouble believing that.

The CSC6 is an exceptional tyre though. I much prefer their handling and grip on the road vs the PSS, but the PS46 is even better still.

Yeh In summer but what about winter?

No issues whatsoever.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Bit the bullet and just ordered 4x Pilot Sport 4S's

All 4 wheels have lacquer peel and 1 is corroding so getting them refurbed too

Front bumper has lots of road rash and plenty of chips so will get that sorted while wheels are off.

I think then a full detail > upgrade front brake pads > Remap in the spring

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
3000 miles from a set of tyres sounds rather mad. Surely something must have been faulty with either tyre or car?

What tyres were they?

My 10,700 miles on the rears with CSC6 included a track day and the NC500 for comparison.

Soldato
The last set of Continental tyres I had were the ContiSportContact M3's - probably won't be too relevant because they're a special compound and are ancient now, but they wore down SO quickly and I don't drive hard at all. I think I got about 7000 miles out of a rear set or something stupid. The MPSS easily doubled this.

I too have the same reservations about the CSC6 - I know they are good tyres but they, albeit anecdotally, don't have the best wear rates which puts me off.

EDIT: Just reminded myself of the MP4S prices - they really are quite expensive aren't they? Whyyyyy don't they do the normal MP4 in my size! :angry:

245/35/19:
F1A3 - £131ea
CSC6 - £151ea
MP4S - £184ea

265/35/19:
F1A3 - N/A
CSC6 - £180ea
MP4S - £235ea

Total cost of MP4S for a set £827
Total cost of CSC6 for a set £670

Last edited:
Man of Honour
i know its from the ps4s marketing material (ie take the ps4s results with a pinch of salt)
ZE6og3Q.png
the conti sc6 looks to have terrible wear compared to the rest

Soldato
Is that price because of the off standard sizing? 265/30/19 for me is £197

I guess it must be. It obviously doesn't cost them an extra ~20% in materials and shipping for a tyre with a tiny bit extra sidewall, so I guess it'll be because they're an unpopular size and lack of much competition at that size?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Probably the same reason the fronts in standard M3 size were more expensive than the CSL size so I just stuck with CSL size.

Anyways,. tyres ordered now. Looking forward to a weekend away providing I can get them fitted by the mobile guy sharpish.

i know its from the ps4s marketing material (ie take the ps4s results with a pinch of salt)
ZE6og3Q.png
the conti sc6 looks to have terrible wear compared to the rest
An extra 13k miles vs the CSC6, I can actually believe that given my tread wear experience of the MPSS vs the CSC6 on the rear.

Man of Honour
OP
Finally got these fitted... They are amazing and should be mandatory on any car! I'd guess i've easily got double the grip in wet then the old pirelli p zero RFT's

Soldato
Grippier tyres will always wear faster. Don't listen to what marketing says, it's just how it is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom