How do you use the rift? expectations?

Soldato
So I couldn't think what to get for Xmas from the wife. So I though why not a rift?

But I am a little confused, like.... how and when do you use it?

Has it replaced your monitor for gaming? Do you default to the rift when gaming now? Do you jump right in GTA/RUST/Doom/PUBG etc and just "use your rift now".

Or do you use it occasionally on very specific VR specific titles?

Or somewhere in between?

Do you watch movies on it?

Does it come with controllers and if not do I need them?

Anyone used it with FSX/Dirt Rally? how was this?

I decided on Rift and not Vive because I want to be sitting at my desk using it. not running around the room (Don't have the space).

Thanks guys, and sorry for probably weird questions.

P.S. I've just bought a 1080. will this beast the rift yeah?

Soldato
I can't speak for others, but I don't use mine to watch movies or desktop use. I don't play 2D games on it either.

You can play normal games on the Rift/Vive but they won't be in VR. Games have to be made specially for VR. There are a few games like Doom 3 and Alien Isolation that have been modded to work in VR. There is a also a program called VorpX that can be used to make normal games VR like.

But, I just use the Rift for VR stuff. With the Rift you get 6 free games, so loads to do without spending money. Then there is lots of free stuff available on Steam and the Oculus store like Rec Room, The Lab etc.

Dirt Rally is really good, you will have to build up your VR legs to be able to play it for long periods. Maybe you won't get motion sick, so it might not be a problem for you at all.

Elite Dangerous is another amazing game in VR.

If you have enough space to stand and swing your arms, with maybe room to make a step in each direction, then you have enough room to get a good impression of what Roomscale is like. And, people say that they only want to use the Rift/Vive for sitting games only, but believe me, when you get the headset and try Robo Recall or Lone Echo, you will be thinking of ways to make more room :D

1080 is perfect for VR and when you order you get touch controllers.

Soldato
As a monitor replacement they aren't good. But for actual VR games it's a totally different experience.

I'm using an AMD 480 and not had any performance problems so far. Developers are really over-estimating the requirements on most games.

Soldato
OP
I can't speak for others, but I don't use mine to watch movies or desktop use. I don't play 2D games on it either.

You can play normal games on the Rift/Vive but they won't be in VR. Games have to be made specially for VR. There are a few games like Doom 3 and Alien Isolation that have been modded to work in VR. There is a also a program called VorpX that can be used to make normal games VR like.

But, I just use the Rift for VR stuff. With the Rift you get 6 free games, so loads to do without spending money. Then there is lots of free stuff available on Steam and the Oculus store like Rec Room, The Lab etc.

Dirt Rally is really good, you will have to build up your VR legs to be able to play it for long periods. Maybe you won't get motion sick, so it might not be a problem for you at all.

Elite Dangerous is another amazing game in VR.

If you have enough space to stand and swing your arms, with maybe room to make a step in each direction, then you have enough room to get a good impression of what Roomscale is like. And, people say that they only want to use the Rift/Vive for sitting games only, but believe me, when you get the headset and try Robo Recall or Lone Echo, you will be thinking of ways to make more room :D

1080 is perfect for VR and when you order you get touch controllers.

Isn't Dirt rally a 2D non VR game though? like GTA V for example.

Soldato
OP
Perfect. Thanks once again. I wonder how many VR suitable titles I have. My main focus is getting FSX to run with the oculus. I literally can't wait. It's not steam FSX though, old school. But there will be a ton of info on the Flight Sim forums.

Soldato
FSX requires a 3rd party add-on called FlyInside to work in VR. By all accounts it works very well. There's a demo version you can download.

Associate
Perfect. Thanks once again. I wonder how many VR suitable titles I have. My main focus is getting FSX to run with the oculus. I literally can't wait. It's not steam FSX though, old school. But there will be a ton of info on the Flight Sim forums.

Flight and driving sims are two genres that benefit massively from VR. Aerofly FS2 and DCS World are both worth a look at for their VR integration if you're into flight sims.

Associate
I originally used my Rift for everything vr related but soon got narrowed down to mostly simulation based games. I've kinda lost my vr mojo lately and now do most of what I did in vr that is possible in 2d back on the monitor. I've hardly used my rift in the last few months.

When I do use it Its more racing games or truck sims. Even the truck sims I've recently gone back to monitor.

Soldato
I originally used my Rift for everything vr related but soon got narrowed down to mostly simulation based games. I've kinda lost my vr mojo lately and now do most of what I did in vr that is possible in 2d back on the monitor. I've hardly used my rift in the last few months.

When I do use it Its more racing games or truck sims. Even the truck sims I've recently gone back to monitor.
How long ago did you buy your Rift ?

Soldato
My experience is pretty much identical to melmac's.

I originally bought the rift for elite dangerous, but after picking up the touch controllers earlier this year I realised what I had been missing and now tend to exclusively play games that use them. Robo recall is without a doubt the most dramatically eye opening experience of what VR can be, but there is a lot of great content out there (a lot of rubbish too, but you'll get the gist).

There is a game called ripcoil where you throw discs across an arena, aiming to get it past your opponent to his back wall (imagine pong, but you are standing on the bar), and he served the disc backwards into his own goal. What made that experience special for me was that he said he could see me doubled over, hands braced on knees, laughing at him. Similarly star trek bridge crew capitalises on the extra layer of communication that body language allows for. Something you might not have thought about before trying VR. Social games like that, and also the free Rec Room are really great in VR for that reason.

Tl;Dr, while sim flight might be your main impetus, definitely try out everything VR has to offer!

Soldato
The touch controllers are what raises the Rift above the other VR platforms for me. They're so versatile, and work equally well as guns, or for hand presence, or even table tennis rackets.

I'm not sure how the forthcoming Vive knuckle controllers will compare, as they will undoubtedly work very well for hand presence, but I'm not sure how they will perform when used for shooting, or other uses. It'll be interesting to see.

Back
Top Bottom