Display issues since win10 fall update

Soldato
Hello,

As per title, since today's update I've been experiencing problems:

Many applications, both windows (eg. task manager) and 3rd party 'randomly flash''.
Mouse movement feels choppy.
Mouse icon is misformed (as if it's a different aspect ratio).

Changing res doesn't help.

What does help is re-initializing the nvidia driver. (as in, I update the driver in device manager manually)
However, it comes back every reboot.

I keep going back and froth between the drivers from october 2017, and the newest from 5 dec.

Every time I ''modify'' the drivers, all is good, all issues disappear.
Every time I reboot my pc, the issues pop up again.

Any ideas what this could be?

I'm getting pretty peeved off at Windows 10 feature updates, not one update so far where something doesn't break.

GTx980 btw with newest win10 x64 pro, UHD primary screen, 1280x1024 secondary screens ( 2 secondary screens mirrored as single 1280x1024 secondary monitor)

Soldato
OP
Right, so I found a problem, the update did not install successfully.

****ing windows update, if I ever reinstall I'll use an LTSB version, nobody needs that unwanted ****.

OR disable WAU altogether.

Soldato
OP
Updates succesfully manually now, and while those problems are gone, again stuff has been reset, my start menu has different icons/metro tiles :(. Bloody Microsoft, Windows should never have been turned into SAAS.

Soldato
OP
Checked the updates history, said it failed, I wasn't there when it ''updated'', got a message to review my privacy settings when I got at my pc and assumed it updated. It didn't though apparently.

Now? Simply checked my version... But I needed to update manually with the media creation tool.

Man of Honour
how did you check if it updated properly? as ive been having issues since the the fall update myself

There is a wizard somewhere in the settings menu that will check all updates and reinstall any components that have failed or are corrupt - I've had to use it way too many times lately after updates.

Soldato
OP
Well, I'm back.

2 more issues:

- VLC playback is buggered, everything is much much darker, as if it has a huge grey filter over everything. Subtitles are dark grey even though the color is 255/255/255 in the rgb settings.
Compared to other players, and noticed the WHOLE VIDEO look like it has a huge grey filter over it.
So far I've reverted to used mpc instead, but I prefer VLC for its plugins and features.

- Firefox won't play youtube, all videos ''an error has occured'', it plays ads fine though (disabled all plugins like adblock to test), and the overlay is fine too (I can hover over the timeline and see preview of vid) , no problems in chrome, ie or edge.

Other video sites (like naughty vid sites) work fine.

Anyone has had similar issues?

Both are huge annoyances, as I use both VLC and FF for their huge plugin libraries, some plugins in FF that aren't there for Chrome...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Installed a new FF, I was still on v35. Now YT works again on v57.

Installed the newest VLC nightly, also now is fine.

Funny (or better said, sad) how a windows update ''breaks'' w32 applications that worked fine for years. I disagree with all the ''update policies'': security my arse, the updates cause more trouble, than the potential harm from not updating, don't fix what isn't broken!

Back
Top Bottom