BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
Also the rear pads being one of the least accurate items you can use to indicate running costs, considering how long they last and how often they need changing.
You'd have to ignore the £1000's in fuel.
Hundreds in insurance per year.
£535 vehicle tax.
£800/900+ in tyres every 2/3 years.
Spark plugs.
Oil change.
Fluid changes etc....
:o

Soldato
Ok sure. You've got yourself quality parts there.
Indeed. And I fitted them myself so I know they're quality innit.
Also the rear pads being one of the least accurate items you can use to indicate running costs, considering how long they last and how often they need changing.
£535 vehicle tax.
Spark plugs.
Oil change.
Fluid changes etc....
Rod bearing replacements :o

Caporegime
£535 vehicle tax.
Spark plugs.
Oil change.
Fluid changes etc....

And thats the point. Rears are already reasonable so why put such a cheap part on? They're a safety critical item.

Soldato
Febi don’t have a particularly good reputation and at that price,frankly I’d be wary of fakes...

I get not wanting to spend more than you have to,but, scrimping on brakes for a car with a 414bhp V8 isn’t something I’d ever recommend!

I've never heard anything bad about febi parts.

And I'm all for being wary of fakes but I very much doubt Amazon are the ones selling them.

Caporegime
I've never heard anything bad about febi parts.

And I'm all for being wary of fakes but I very much doubt Amazon are the ones selling them.
They’ve got mixed reviews at best, ultimately you’ve got a high performance orientated car and your scrimping on the brakes, I’m not convinced that’s the best thing to save money on, I could understand it to a degree if you ran a 318i but even then your still scrimping on brakes which I certainly wouldn’t advise anyone to do so no matter what the car.

As for Amazon selling them, that just means they are selling on behalf of someone else, they are that cheap for a reason and quality would be my guess where the saving comes from.

Your money, your choice of course, but I’d strongly advise you think again there.

Soldato
They’ve got mixed reviews at best, ultimately you’ve got a high performance orientated car and your scrimping on the brakes, I’m not convinced that’s the best thing to save money on, I could understand it to a degree if you ran a 318i but even then your still scrimping on brakes which I certainly wouldn’t advise anyone to do so no matter what the car.

As for Amazon selling them, that just means they are selling on behalf of someone else, they are that cheap for a reason and quality would be my guess where the saving comes from.

Your money, your choice of course, but I’d strongly advise you think again there.
Or the part is shared across numerous different cars, coupled with Amazon trying to beat everyone on price for everything plus economies of scale makes them reasonably priced.

Associate
And thats the point. Rears are already reasonable so why put such a cheap part on? They're a safety critical item.

My post was aimed at this comment about rear pads being used to gauge maintenance costs, maybe I should've quoted.
I paid around £340 for ATE discs, Brembo pads and a pagid wear sensor on the rear.
£600-£650 for the same combo ( but with 2 sensors) on the front.

I've also paid £80 for plugs, £150 for oil (12l) and filter. Not bank busting but oil and plugs are around twice the cost of some 4pot "performance" cars.
Who said these cars are expensive to maintain.[/QUOTE

Soldato
My post was aimed at this comment about rear pads being used to gauge maintenance costs, maybe I should've quoted.
I paid around £340 for ATE discs, Brembo pads and a pagid wear sensor on the rear.
£600-£650 for the same combo ( but with 2 sensors) on the front.

I've also paid £80 for plugs, £150 for oil (12l) and filter. Not bank busting but oil and plugs are around twice the cost of some 4pot "performance" cars.

Disks are a rip off as there's only one company that makes them. Oil is expensive too as it's 1060.
Everything else is reasonable though.

Plugs are twice the price because there's twice as many!

Caporegime
To be honest I probably would as well now I think about it... But you can't deny that slapping one in an E38 and then supercharging it isn't at least a little bit cool and/or different.

I can understand why someone would do it.

Soldato
Febi don’t have a particularly good reputation and at that price,frankly I’d be wary of fakes...

I get not wanting to spend more than you have to,but, scrimping on brakes for a car with a 414bhp V8 isn’t something I’d ever recommend!
Febi is by far the best BMW aftermarket parts supplier in terms of reliable quality, in my experience. I've had very dodgy Meyle parts but Febi has always exceeded expectations. That said, the Meyle HD brakes I bought were really good and I haven't tried Febi brakes.

Back
Top Bottom