Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
So I've decided to go for a bean to cup machine for me and the other half to add to my Aeropress, Clever Dripper and Chemex ensemble. Does anyone know the difference between the Delonghi 2800 and 4200 as I can't spot it for the life of me, other than cosmetic and the 4200 having 13 grinder settings vs the 7 of the 2800...

Thanks for any advice!

No idea on those ones but iv just ordered the 29.620.
More grinder settings are handy to have I guess.

Soldato
quick google suggest 4200 has better steam
Milk Frother Wand
If you’re a fan of milky coffee (especially cappuccino), you’ve probably been waiting to hear about the frother. It’s dead easy to use, and effective for smaller amounts of milk. It’s probably worth noting though, if you’re looking for something do make a regular large latte, you might want to consider something more powerful, like the ESAM4200 or the ECAM44.660.B. Of course, you’re able to experiment to your heart’s content to create the perfect creamy result to your coffee, the ESAM2800 is quite versatile in that regard.

.... you already have a grinder for the press/chemex though ? ... so some duplication, but convenience

Soldato
Got one of these due for delivery today.

sKXbhdoDtYkSVSPDO75TDf9EZaWMvGgbn77pg03ApCnv5r1gldO-iFxFTf4Jp8i7hdDF6Bm3SjOAQnxM3MBVy8-Oc3kXMyQJb03OAzEv_OpoAOpWKa7x5XtpRbxPSIvra1ZrB7WqnYB5D9bxn6gR2jVKV9zHK02fpAVwDhavR-1zcOKGCBIHy4_0JXFvEfxl2p71ymjygm2oBQKJT2rkQKL3-Hx2TQC7R9s6ORb8abuPAY9bMf_4mE39QlBnnz4EqEpVamfd3kRlQiRN0PJ00ckhTJqkWF_mOCHyvC95DekvfoS6O4ensKL88KwNPpz2YimMp4yGe73FpaH5ZJsThJI_uEBPtFIzU8LeAVm5ovvCOUbtFC9tZtCmsV-gCIeSAxU0HTlPkbmlumi0zWuuy3gtBAJzdQBNOV8R8E9qW22afrC6Kx5uRhsT8QIKw1DGOFBe3Xqrs7Z8fzgj_8jVmXmk4N8ZWRoAcqZ6aUZkD5vtkUpvpz5ZmSIsI3t_AbPRO5eTb-ofJ6x5RA8V7lisdY1wGuZ6Ay84c8kBfqcl1XTlHNPeQVCX3TAifbQF8OPvbWkbAipA2Zo1rhXd0xQq1Sj1juSD4NfORPQBs1I=w587-h440-no

Deal was too good to pass up.

Soldato
£60 for a plant in a jar.. You could put that together yourself for like £5 surely?
I wouldn't know where to source the particular plant to be honest, and I expect it's harder to find the jar than you'd imagine (it's more like a small keg size in real life). And ya know, Christmas.. :)

Soldato
Nice machine - it's a Cafemagia prezinta Delonghi ETAM 29.660 SB ?
(suprises me amazon does not have linked utube review yet - if they learn to get along)

and I expect it's harder to find the jar than you'd imagine
looks as though might be good for the work desk

On top of this pile there is a plant: a Coffea arabica, a tiny version of the coffee trees that produce the beans of the same name. It sits in a large, upside down jam jar, in which it is completely self-contained. It produces CO2, which condensates on the glass walls and creates the humidity these plants need to thrive. In the mornings, water lines the inside of the jar, but by the afternoon the mists have cleared. I don’t water it; I can’t even touch it: it is perfectly happy in its own little world.
need a time lapse of one 'working'.

Soldato
I wouldn't know where to source the particular plant to be honest, and I expect it's harder to find the jar than you'd imagine (it's more like a small keg size in real life). And ya know, Christmas.. :)

It does look pretty cool, but seems like it has a massive markup. You can get a large kilner jar pretty cheap on ebay and they sell arabica coffee seeds for a couple of quid. I guess a jar and some seeds wouldn't make a great present though :p.

Soldato
Well got it all setup, couldn't sleep at all last night drank way too much coffee. Going to take ages to get it just how i like it need to get some fresh beans though only got some 2 month old ones at the minute so the drinks are too bitter for a straight black coffee.
Impressed with the little water hardness test you get with the machine, shame the machine doesnt have a setting for my water, only goes to 1 lowest where as my water barely registered above 0.

Just ordered some of Raves Ethiopia Kayon Mountain Natural, see how that goes down.

Question for those with bean to cup machines. How do you go about loading beans if you say want to try different ones, or do you just use a full bag at a time.

Last edited:
Associate
Lol, i must be immune, had 8 cups the day mine turned up!

Your lucky having such soft water, brita filter for all the water here though the machine has it's own as well, i get through 2 bags of beans a week so don't need it but the melitta can store 2 at once so you can take your pick, otherwise it'd be a fold the op nice and tight peg or tape it and pop in the fridge and don't forget them!

One nice thing i've found having a B2C is getting bags of beans as prezzies, no naff ones yet i'm happy to say, stops a lot of the "what can i get you" questions
already eyeballed a few bean shaped bags under the tree :D

Soldato
Well got it all setup, couldn't sleep at all last night drank way too much coffee
should have been wrapped up under the tree.

Impressed with the little water hardness test
they give you tablets then ?
I had considered buying a TDS-3 Reverse Osmosis TDS Meter (still in watch list) to understand when the Brita water filter was running out, until I had understood it modifies the calcium ions (was it ?) to something else, so does not change total dissolvable solids much, plus apparently some minerals do help with the flavour.

Soldato
should have been wrapped up under the tree.

they give you tablets then ?
I had considered buying a TDS-3 Reverse Osmosis TDS Meter (still in watch list) to understand when the Brita water filter was running out, until I had understood it modifies the calcium ions (was it ?) to something else, so does not change total dissolvable solids much, plus apparently some minerals do help with the flavour.
No it was a paper test, green squares turn red to show hardness, the first square just got a slight colour change but still staid green.

Soldato
I'm trying to convince the girlfriend that if we get a new coffee machine, we need a Sage Barista Express.

Are there any other machines to be aware of? Bean-to-cup is more likely to win over a separate grinder, although I don't mind myself. The Sage is at the top of the budget.

Man of Honour
I'm trying to convince the girlfriend that if we get a new coffee machine, we need a Sage Barista Express.

Are there any other machines to be aware of? Bean-to-cup is more likely to win over a separate grinder, although I don't mind myself. The Sage is at the top of the budget.

The Sage produces a lot better results than many bean to cup machines in the same price range. It's also very simple to use so convenience-wise it's really not much different to bean to cup. Less finicky too.

Back
Top Bottom