Roast potatoes - best fat to use?

Associate
I parboil 2-3 mins, let em cool a bit, give em a bit of a rattle around so the outsides are rough then a couple of mins in my chip fryer! cos it's full of beef dripping :cool:
which also survives higher temps better than oils, then freeze once cold, when needed whack em in a tin, top shelf probs about 180 (fan) for about >35mins - depends on how cruchy or crispy you like em.

Caporegime
OP
the freezing - that is not also for xmas day itself ? - can they be resurrected to a reasonable state, the oven is a bit of a juggling act but we always manage.

We did a trial last night - cooked from frozen at 190C for 20 minutes. They came out very well in my opinion so yes, they'll be used for Christmas day. Nothing to do with oven space for us anyway, it's just for minimising time spent cooking on the day.

Interestingly the King Edwards tasted much sweeter than the Maris Pipers, so we're using the Maris batch for Christmas day.

Soldato
I was well pleased with the beef dripping on the roast potatoes yesterday, i'll definitely be using that from now on. Used King Edward potatoes and parboiled them for about 10 mins first and they turned out perfect.

Soldato
My method is par boil with salt and some baking powder and heat vegetable oil in oven while waiting. Drain potatoes and rough up in a colander. Flavour oil with rosemary and thyme and garlic, sieve and cover the potatoes in the oil then move to a baking tray and cook for 30-40mins in the oven

Back
Top Bottom