Those who use VR away from your desk (Sim racers etc?)

Associate
I have a sim racing seat/wheel setup with a Rift. I often find myself thinking I'd like a quick session with a spare half hour but then thinking I can't be bothered because it seems like effort switching my primary monitor to the one in front of the seat, awkwardly using my little handheld wireless keyboard/trackpad to navigate the desktop and then awkwardly trying to use that while in VR in something like pCars2 or iRacing.

Is there a better user experience out there, either in software setup or some additional hardware? I'm sure I can't be the only one with these frustrations?

Associate
In the sims I use I manage to navigate using the T500 buttons. I have my frame setup in front of my desk and fortunately my desk is set deep enough that I can slide the frame under the desk once, I've removed the steering wheel. Its the best compromise I have at the moment.

Soldato
Set the racing monitor to primary. Switch it off when not in use and your main display will be the primary screen at all other times. It's what I did with my TV and monitor when I used to race on the big screen. No need to manually switch them.
Maybe get a wireless mouse (or usb extension for your existing one) and use it on your leg or something?

Associate
I have a sim racing seat/wheel setup with a Rift. I often find myself thinking I'd like a quick session with a spare half hour but then thinking I can't be bothered because it seems like effort switching my primary monitor to the one in front of the seat, awkwardly using my little handheld wireless keyboard/trackpad to navigate the desktop and then awkwardly trying to use that while in VR in something like pCars2 or iRacing.

Is there a better user experience out there, either in software setup or some additional hardware? I'm sure I can't be the only one with these frustrations?

I have a racing rig with a second sensor mounted on it. I use a piece of software called DisplayFusion which allows screen output, audio, wallpaper etc to be switched via key combination. Alt+F2 and I'm ready to go ...

M87OSot.jpg

Also have an Arcade cabinet hooked up using the same approach.

I use the Bigscreen software to show the desktop in VR but still need the dedicated screen as sometimes software doesn't handle exiting from VR games back to VR desktop too gracefully. I guess this will be replaced by the next Oculus software which includes the same functionality from what I can understand.

I use a wireless keyboard and mouse with the rig.

It all works pretty well tbh.

Rig / setup:

pPWQFMi.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom